Indexing time is inconsistent

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2
Stephen Gardner | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 14 2009 11:56 AM

I have been waiting nearly 18 hours for my library to be indexed. I have a mac book, which has a faster processor than my pc. And it didn't take this long for my library to be indexed on it . The "time remaining" keeps fluxuating up and down. What do I do?

Posts 1929
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 12:29 PM

Mine did the same thing. It took about 5 1/2 hours on Windows, but 14 on my Mac. The reason for this is that the Mac version is still in Alpha and requires a lot of work to optimise it. All I can suggest is to be patient. Some are reporting it is taking up to several days, depending on the speed of their Mac and the size of their resource library.

Posts 2
Stephen Gardner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 12:38 PM

Thanks!

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 5:34 PM

Donovan is correct.   In addition, the current indexing feature was optimized for the win version and has yet to be optimized for the Mac.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 6
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 5:54 AM

Is it ok to use the computer while it is indexing?

Posts 1929
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 9:01 AM

MarkLooby:
Is it ok to use the computer while it is indexing?

I did. I think if you are doing processor intensive things (like editing video), that it is better to pause the indexing... otherwise its fine to let it run in the background.

Posts 6
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 10:11 AM

Thank you

Posts 1077
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 10:18 AM

I envy your times .... 24 hours on the Windows Beta was considered horrifying ... I am currently at 100+ hours, mainly over night where there should be no competition for CPU cycles. I have a 32 month old Macbook with 2Gb of RAM and a 2Ghz core duo CPU, much better than than my 5 year old Dell laptop.

I have effectively given up at times but you guys keep on encouraging, and I am very grateful for that.

The worst part of it is that I do not know what is happening ... The indexer makes guesses today between 45 hours and 13 hours. Yesterday I paused the indexer so that I could install Safari 4.04 and restart the computer. After the restart the indexer said about 85 hours to go Surprise (it was 15 before the restart ). It has gradually reduced back to 13 over the last 24 hours.

It would be nice to see a more accurate estimate, but even better to see how many resources have been indexed so far ... there have been times that I have been convinced that nothing is happening. At these times I go to the Activity monitor and it tells me that the indexer is using 169.9% of the CPU (if I am reading that correctly).

I have crashes with the Alpha, no icons in the library, etc. but am unsure what is due to the incomplete indexing.

Still .... 4 hours to go! (It was 13 before I started this post ... and that was with me playing with grab, Preview, Profiler and Activity Monitor! Maybe heavy duty video editing will really speed things up!

Once again though guys, thanks for being there ... and thanks to the Logos team ... I found myself using L4 today without thinking about the software ... just the study...

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 1077
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 12:07 PM

It's finished!

Now I know that there are other issues than just the indexing, for example my library and the book info panels al show a 'no cover' placeholder instead of a the book's cover that I have seen in screen shots on this forum, and the are no preferences because no view exists for this kind of panel.(not sure if this is not yet implemented)

Thanks Logos.

I will start to explore more tomorrow.

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS