2004 Good News Translation 3rd Edition UK-English

Page 3 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 52 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 1:54 PM

I have RSV-2CE from the pre-pub order but haven't used it yet since it doesn't even have as up-to-date scholarship as the 1971 RSV, but I was referring to what they want to create in the U.K. - according to news the Roman-Catholic Church was going to tweak the ESV:

Dan Francis:
Logos already has that in effect. The Ignatius Bible: Revised Standard Version, Second Catholic Edition:
Unix:
Soon people will be asking for modified "ESV-CE"

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 2:08 PM

Unix:

I have RSV-2CE from the pre-pub order but haven't used it yet since it doesn't even have as up-to-date scholarship as the 1971 RSV, but I was referring to what they want to create in the U.K. - according to news the Roman-Catholic Church was going to tweak the ESV:

Dan Francis:
Logos already has that in effect. The Ignatius Bible: Revised Standard Version, Second Catholic Edition:
Unix:

Thanks for the info, this seems rather pointless since in effect they would end up with the RSV CE 2nd Edition in the end. But then each to there own i suppose.

-Dan

Posts 26765
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 2:13 PM

Unix:

If it becomes the authorized liturgical translation, that makes perfect sense.

Unix:
These new versions, ESV and NLT apocrypha are so complex/complicated compositions with the differing Editions and copyrights

Evidence? The Lutheran Study Bible which I own in dead tree format doesn't seem to support this idea. The NLT I have no information on.

Unix:
So I really do believe the costs for broader canon Bibles are proportional.

You know me well enough to know that on such matters I want logic and facts not belief and speculation. You note that the broader canon Bibles sell for the same price as the narrower canon Bibles? The Tanakh and the NRSV are priced identically as are the NRSV and the ISV. The CEB, on the other hand, is nearly 50% higher without the dueterocanonicals.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26765
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 2:22 PM

Dan Francis:
this seems rather pointless since in effect they would end up with the RSV CE 2nd Edition in the end. But then each to there own i suppose.

This is actually the result of odd politics. The copyright owners of the NRSV refused the ICEL the right to make a Catholic edition - after the Canadians had an NRSV lectionary approved. However, the ESV copyright owners are willing to work with the ICEL so that is the current direction. I don't know anyone who is happy about it. We sometimes have bishops who permit contraband liturgical books from Canada . . . border patrol never objects to such contraband.Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 2:26 PM

Easy to explain: the NRSV sells well so the unit price can be kept low. CEB is much newer and therefore costs more. I don't know that much about the ISV though but would speculate that it wouldn't sell if it would cost a lot since it's among the least known versions:

MJ. Smith:
You note that the broader canon Bibles sell for the same price as the narrower canon Bibles? The Tanakh and the NRSV are priced identically as are the NRSV and the ISV. The CEB, on the other hand, is nearly 50% higher without the dueterocanonicals.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 2:27 PM

Australia started it:

Dan Francis:
Thanks for the info, this seems rather pointless since in effect they would end up with the RSV CE 2nd Edition in the end. But then each to there own i suppose:
Unix:

Dan Francis:
Unix:

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 2:30 PM

Yeah You should never count on the results You are just dreaming of!:

MJ. Smith:
This is actually the result of odd politics. The copyright owners of the NRSV refused the ICEL the right to make a Catholic edition - after the Canadians had an NRSV lectionary approved. However, the ESV copyright owners are willing to work with the ICEL so that is the current direction. I don't know anyone who is happy about it:
Dan Francis:
this seems rather pointless since in effect they would end up with the RSV CE 2nd Edition in the end. But then each to there own i suppose.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 26765
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 5:08 PM

Unix:
Australia started it

Australia? please explain.

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 5:40 PM

MJ. Smith:

Unix:
Australia started it

Australia? please explain.

I am guessing he means  ESV Bible appeals to Catholics - Bible Society

I had at first thought he meant Roman Catholics to use ESV | Liturgy but that is New Zeland of course.

-Dan

Posts 26765
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 6:47 PM

Ah ... it is really outside the US headed by Most Reverend Mark Coleridge, the Archbishop of Canberra-Goulburn and Chairman of the International Commission for the Preparation of an English Language Lectionary (ICPELL). I didn't realize that the commission head was Australian which lead to the confusion. With regards to your comments:

"  In answer to your questions, the facts are these.  The ESV was chosen over the RSV because the ESV, in its 7% modification of the RSV, seeks to incorporate the fruit of more recent biblical scholarship, i.e. since the publication of the RSV.  In other words, the RSV is out-of-date.  We were looking for a more up-to-date version of the RSV; and when the NRSV proved impossible, we chose the ESV.  Unlike the copyright holders of the NRSV, the copyright holders of the ESV have shown themselves quite open to the kind of changes we would need or want to make for Catholic lectionary purposes; and the copyright arrangements for the project are now in place.  What will appear in the lectionary will be a modified form of the ESV.  This may in time look to the production of a Catholic edition of the ESV, though that is not decided." http://hughosb.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/update-new-lectionary-esv-some-official-clarification/ 

but then again:

Well, now, there are rumors that plans for a Catholic ESV Lectionary have been put on hold – or perhaps abandoned:

I found this out from the mouth of the man in charge of it all when I was at the “Great Grace” Conference in Sydney back in June. I could hardly believe it myself. It seems that this now sets back the entire lectionary project (they had the Sunday lectionary practically ready to go), as there was no agreement on which translation they should use as an alternative. Apparently there is a sizable body of opinion simply wanting to rework the Jerusalem Bible lections http://bltnotjustasandwich.com/2013/08/11/catholic-esv-lectionary-on-hold/

At the end of 2013 the decision was made to dismantle ICPELL and leave each conference of bishops to make its own decision regarding a lectionary for Mass. Consequently, the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference agreed to discontinue its involvement in the international lectionary project and to reprint the existing lectionary. It would contain a slightly modified version of the Jerusalem Bible currently in use and the Grail translation of the responsorial Psalms.

The general opinion is that some poor translations in the Jerusalem Bible are easily remedied and that other required changes to the text can be made fairly quickly. The Australian Catholic Bishops Conference has established an editorial committee to oversee the editorial adjustment to be made to the current lectionary. http://liturgybrisbane.net.au/liturgylines/update-on-the-lectionary-16th-february-2014/

That's what I get for retiring ... I get behind on the news that the ESV lectionary is kaput.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 9:45 PM

See this "revived" thread from almost 4 years ago: http://www.christianforums.com/t7502431-post65651623/#poststop ... it's about the ESV.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 4
Brian Harris | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2015 9:42 PM

I also want the 2004 Good News Translation 3rd Edition UK-English 66-book Bible:

Unix:
In 2004 there has come a third edition, I have it now as printed matter.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 15 2015 12:56 AM

"The Good News Translation is recommended by Biblical scholars like Raymond Brown, Gordon Fee, and Douglas Stuart. It even makes the top 10 list of favorite Bible translations by the famous Rick Mansfield at the This Lamp Blog."
/Originally posted by Brett Kirksey on the Bible Versions Discussion/Dialogue on September 2. 2015

I want the 2004 Good News Translation 3rd Edition UK-English Bible! It's the only item I'll order, all resources types. You can see my total number of books, most of them under the Faithlife platforms, including other software and printed matter, on the first row of my signature.

Update: the new, functioning, link to that post is: http://www.christianforums.com/threads/esv.7502431/page-2#post-65651623 - (the discussion site got a face-lift some Months ago in the Spring which rendered links within the site in old posts non-functioning):

Unix:
See this "revived" thread from almost 4 years ago: http://www.christianforums.com/t7502431-post65651623/#poststop ... it's about the ESV.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Page 3 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS