Wonder why people are not interested in The New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 50
JAIN THOMAS | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 24 2012 4:48 AM

I am wondering people are not interesting on The New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible. We will be getting wealth of scholarly artcles with a fraction of cost. Please push this massive resource for production.

http://www.logos.com/product/8801/new-interpreters-dictionary-of-the-bible

Posts 10457
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 5:58 AM

Hi Jain

If indeed you're wondering, probably each person is different. For me, when I first began 'loading up' with commentaries, Interpreter's was #1 on my list. I had the older one volume version that I'd found at a used book store, and the approach was balanced, even, 'no muss, no fuss'. The other one was New Jerome's, both quite good.

But for a long time, Interpreters apparently didn't want to come on board. Then when they did, it was almost(?) retail price, far beyond my ability to rationalize compared to WBC. So I went with WBC, added Hermenaea (sp?), and finally AYB along with a lot of older classics.

If the clock were turned back, I'd be on board in a minute. But I get the feeling they had not understood that WBC's pricing strategy had changed much of the game. I don't know; I'm not in the publishing business.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 6:12 AM

For me, it's a matter of feeling I have a reasonably good selection of bible dictionaries, and would like to invest my resources in other areas of my library. 

I have the Platinum base package, I bought AYBD with my Christmas Credit, and also already had bought the IVP Essential Reference set.  I'm also in on a number of commentaries going through CP.

When I'm next looking to spend a sum in the region of the cost of the NIDoB, I think I would look to spend that money on the upgrade set to BENTC or PNTC.

Posts 274
Mike W | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 6:56 AM

In my case I also have several dictionaries and commentaries for a variety of viewpoints.  I have portfolio and have AYBD, ISV series, Zondervan and ISV.  While this and the New Interpreter's commentary are probably good deals I can't justify buying either.   These do come from a different theological perspective than mine and our local city library has both of these in hardback. It in not really worth the cost for me to have these in Logos.  As someone else mentioned, coming to logos so late has probably hurt these resources.

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 2:10 PM

Thankfully the prices have been reduced to reasonable levels now. But  NIB is getting no  closer and the dictionary looks like a complete no go. I am thankful that Accordance is working on getting them indeed Olivetree has all of them except the NIB… Even have the NIB one volume in production. So the likeliness of Logos getting any of them seems low. The user base of Logos is fairly conservative and with different programs getting ready to offer them I can see them sitting on pre pub forever. I would love to have them in Logos but decided i wasn't going to have much luck convincing more people….

-Dan

Posts 1397
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 2:25 PM

Combo of 2 things.

1) I already have AYBD, the IVP Collection (including the Old Testament set sold separately), and Eerdman's Dictionary of Early Judaism, plus the ISBE in another program.

2) I just don't have the $$$ to justify adding another one. Heck, I'm probably going to catch a little hot water for the $70 I spent on NT Wright books over March Madness without consulting the CFO.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS