5 Days to Better Sermon Preparation

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 36 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 9870
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2012 1:05 AM

John Duffy:
But I'm looking for more detail as to preparation steps for a topical sermon.  There are some points that seem fairly obvious to me, but as I don't preach topical sermons as much as some people do, I'm sure that I could learn from others more expert in the subject.  There might not be a 'right' way of preparing topical sermons, but there might be just some very helpful tips, as well as things to avoid.  Or have I got it wrong - is preparing a topical sermon really so easy that there really isn't any need to learn from others on the subject?

in another recent thread on this topic, Rosie gave some basic advice and recommended Preaching the Topical Sermon by Ronald J. Allen (not in Logos; it seems someone sells new copies at a really good price) 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 484
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2012 3:49 AM

NB.Mick:
in another recent thread on this topic, Rosie gave some basic advice and recommended Preaching the Topical Sermon by Ronald J. Allen (not in Logos; it seems someone sells new copies at a really good price) 

Mick, thanks for that link to the other thread (searching the forum for that title 'Topical preaching' returns 'Not Found', strangely).  Allen's book is just what I had been looking for.  I've ordered it, and I hope that it will be as useful as the outline of the chapters indicates.  It's strange that there are so few books on topical preaching - any more suggestions along these lines would be very welcome.

Joe Miller:
Starting next week, I have a series starting on YouTube that covers the types of preaching (Exegetical, Expository, Topical, Narrative, etc...), but I suspect not with the kind of details you are looking for.

Joe, thanks for the pointer to your series starting next week.  I'll try to look out for it esp. relating to topical preaching.

Posts 9870
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2012 4:36 AM

John Duffy:
Mick, thanks for that link to the other thread (...).  Allen's book is just what I had been looking for.

Glad to hear that, hope it helps you in preaching!

John Duffy:
searching the forum for that title 'Topical preaching' returns 'Not Found', strangely

I recalled the thread and used google with site:community.logos.com topical sermon 

Blessing,

Mick

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2012 12:13 PM

John Duffy:
It's strange that there are so few books on topical preaching - any more suggestions along these lines would be very welcome.

Searching Logos.com for topical preaching => http://www.logos.com/products/search?q=topical+preaching finds some possibilities.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2012 2:47 PM

John Duffy:
Joe, thanks for the pointer to your series starting next week.  I'll try to look out for it esp. relating to topical preaching.
Hi John, the first one went up today on the Exegetical Method.  You YouTube playlist is here

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL662ED771A72C3F07&feature=plcp

and you can always subscribe to get notification when the other episodes go live.  They will also get posted on my blog, so you can always subscribe there as well if you want immediate notification.

Blessings brother,

Joe

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 484
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 5:01 AM

Joe, thanks for the summary of the exegetical method of preaching.  In many books on preaching that method doesn't get a mention.  I've heard a number of 'exegetical' sermons in the past, and while they could not be categorised as expository or topical etc, I'd never really thought of how they are classified.  Exegetical fits the bill well.  However, I prefer 'expository' sermons most of the time, but not exclusively.

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 1:53 PM

John Duffy:
Joe, thanks for the summary of the exegetical method of preaching.  In many books on preaching that method doesn't get a mention. 
Yeah, it really is missed in most discussions... not sure why since it is used by lots of people.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 8 2012 9:57 AM

Added link to blog writing page (Mediagraphy) to wiki => Logos 4 Video Tutorials

Noticed a number of Books, wondering about plans for use in Logos ? perhaps Logos or Vyrso resources ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 8 2012 8:24 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Added link to blog writing page (Mediagraphy) to wiki => Logos 4 Video Tutorials
Thanks for putting up the links brother.

FYI, I just uploaded the next video outlining on the Expository Preaching Method. 

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 8 2012 8:25 PM

ooops, helps if I actually post the link :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx6GV3xmYIc&feature=g-upl

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 9 2012 4:40 PM

Just posted Day 2 of the sermon preparation process

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adzjKrC7Zik

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 7 2012 1:00 PM

If you have been encouraged or in any way found my videos helpful, would you be so kind as to post a comment on my blog that is the lead-in page for the video series?

http://www.morethancake.org/archives/1932

Thanks!

Posts 30
Rodney Lake | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 9 2012 6:10 PM

Joe,

Thank you for your video series. They have been a great help.

Rodney

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2012 10:30 AM

Revlake67:

Thank you for your video series. They have been a great help.

Rodney

you are welcome brother Smile

Posts 8
Pastor Chip Northup | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 28 2014 7:52 PM

Great stuff.  Someone recommended.  Smile

Posts 1070
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 29 2014 7:30 AM

Hi Joe 

I liked your sermon preparation videos and downloaded all of them so i can access them even if i don't have internet access at the time. they are very helpful.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS