Help! Searching is now broken

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 32
Pastor Johnny | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 15 2009 11:52 AM

I have a strange problem. Yesterday (Saturday), while working on my sermon for tonight, my Logos 4 software indicated that there was an update available - which I allowed it to download and install. Now, my search function seems to be broken. I noticed this when searching for a term doing a Bible search. I was looking for a particular verse and knew the words I was entering were in the verse, yet the Bible search function said it could find no occurrences. Since I was looking for the word blood, I knew something was wrong.

I found the verse I wanted by using Logos3. Today, just for grins, I did a bible search on the word sin. It shows up in the Old Testament but my system says is it not found in the New Testament.

Something is definitely wrong here!   Any ideas??

Johnny Hewett

Posts 32
Pastor Johnny | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 11:57 AM

As an update - I did the search over asking the system to search in my Top Bibles instead of my default Bible - the NASB. The search found the word sin in all the top translations except the NASB. I went back and searched for the same term in just the NASB and it could not find it.

It seems that there might be a corruption in my NASB file.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 12:08 PM

Johnny,

what version are you running?

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 32
Pastor Johnny | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 12:34 PM

Logos Bible Software 4 SR-6 (4.03.2984)

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 12:37 PM

Johnny,

You said you just updated?

Can you do this:

Command bar: update resources

If their is a corrupted file...this might help...

You are running the latest as I am and mine did a normal search in the NASB.

You ARE referring to the NASB 1995 right?

Robert Pavich

Posts 32
Pastor Johnny | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 12:47 PM

Yes, I am talking about the NASB 1995. I entered the command update resources and I see "Checking for updates" on the top right. It's been there for a while now. I can't tell if anything is happening or not.

joh

Posts 116
Matt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 12:53 PM

Out of curiosity, I ran some Bible searches, and while I cannot duplicate the exact problem you're experiencing, I did notice some apparent? slowdowns in the searching mechanism, as well as some idiosyncracies which I'll note in another post.  One thing about the results is that I too was a bit flummoxed when the grid appeared, because it was all Old Testament results when I did a search for 'blood.'  However, along the bottom of the grid, I noticed that I can click on various books where hits were found, and that among those books listed at the bottom, there were several New Testament books.  Is this perhaps why you thought you didn't get any New Testament hits?

All searches took place within the Search panel that one gets when the magnifying glass icon next to the Library icon is clicked from the Homepage with the search context set to '"All Passages" in "All Bibles" for' with the Grid view selected.  After each search completed, I closed the search panel (which, because I had no other panels open, returned me to the Homepage).  For each search, there are two numbers.  The first is the time it takes for the search to complete (i.e. Logos has successfully identified what it is going to display), followed by the time it took for the panel to render the search results.  All times are approximate.

• sin(110, 12)
  • grace(12, 3)
  • blood(13, 3)

I haven't really exercised the straight search functionality per se, so I'm not sure if the results I'm seeing are commensurate with what others with a similar set of resources is, but it does seem slow, given that the searches are touted as blazing fast.

Matt

System Specs:

• Windows 7 x64
  • Dual Xeon Quad 2.83 GHz CPUs
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia 285 GTX with 1 GB VRAM
  • Logos 4 Platinum, SR-6, fully indexed

Specs:

• Windows 7 x64
  • Quad Xeon 2.83 GHz x2
  • 16GB RAM
  • Nvidia 285 GTX 1GB VRAM
  • Logos 4.1 Platinum, SR-3, indexed
    Posts 32
    Pastor Johnny | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 1:02 PM

I saw the list of books at the bottom - but they were all OT books. I then limited the search to the NT and came up with zero hits. I did that for a search on "blood", "sin", and "grace".

The search came back fairly quickly and said there were no hits. Since I know these words are in the NT, I am confident that something is wrong. When, for example, I search for "grace" in the NKJV, I get 128 results in 119 verses (1.32 sec).

When I do a search using the entire Bible in the NASB, I get 7 results in 7 verses for the word "grace" -- all in the OT.

I am running Logos 4 Gold, SR-6, fully indexed.

joh

Posts 4508
    Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 1:10 PM

Johnny...that's definitely not right...you might want to call tech support.

Robert Pavich

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS