4.5c Beta 1 - Program Setting - Doctrinal Choice ?

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 929
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 7:12 AM | Locked

There should be an option of 'Nunya'

Posts 2423
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 7:25 AM | Locked

I don’t want the use of any resource denied me.  If the answer to that question ever affects any functionality in Logos 4 [or even in their advertising] then maybe they need an answer of ‘YES’ to turn on all options.  When I am doing a search I want to see ALL hits. 

[On the other hand I am not doing a weekly talk so I can take the month or more to review all hits – The few times I need to know that I am only seeing so called ‘safe’ resources I can use collections] 

[It may be ‘fun’ after they turn this on – set ‘doctrine’ refresh home page, run search; reset ‘doctrine’ re refresh home page, re do search; re re set ‘doctrine’ re re refresh home page, re re do search – etc]

[IMHO ‘undecided’ is too powerful a word to use where the person means ‘I will not tell’] [And also thank you to all the Beta testers]

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 7:28 AM | Locked

tom collinge:
 If it is for marketing, then it needs to be labeled as a marking option.

Agreed.  In any case, we need to know what affected by changing that setting.

As an aside, though I am Presbyterian, I was getting a lot of marketing of Catholic products sent to me, which were worded as if I had a Catholic background.  I can only guess that this is because I bought several "Catholic" resources.  I wonder if Logos was getting push-back from making these assumptions and decided that they needed someway to identify which users get which sales pitches.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 7:35 AM | Locked

David Carter:

There should be an option of 'Nunya'

Big Smile I like that!

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 7:40 AM | Locked

Todd Phillips:
As an aside, though I am Presbyterian, I was getting a lot of marketing of Catholic products sent to me, which were worded as if I had a Catholic background.  I can only guess that this is because I bought several "Catholic" resources.  I wonder if Logos was getting push-back from making these assumptions and decided that they needed someway to identify which users get which sales pitches.

I don't think this setting is for marketing.  They have this info on the website, and they have this type of info for those of us who entered it into our profile page.  the location of this setting tells me that it changes the behavior of L4 somehow.  The question is how does it change the behavior of L4?

Posts 8079
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 7:41 AM | Locked

This setting is a prototype that wasn't supposed to ship, has no effect on the software, and will be removed in Beta 2. (It slipped into Beta 1 by mistake; I had been hoping that no one would notice, since it seemed likely it could generate a multi-page discussion on the forum... Smile)

Posts 3691
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 7:42 AM | Locked

Perhaps by 2015 there will be other options and offerings: Orthodox, Jehovah's Witness, Mormon, Scientist, Zen Buddhist...

I propose adding "all of the above" as an option for good measure.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 7:50 AM | Locked

This is fun! For the first time in my life I'll be 'officially' Catholic! Big Smile Perhaps I should download the beta before you people protest so much that they take the chance away from me. Stick out tongue

MJ. Smith:
there is a huge flaw in the current choice - how do our Jewish users identify themselves?

Indeed! While I'm more than happy to be Catholic, some Christians may be more or less annoyed with the restricted choices -- but that's nothing compared to forcing a Jew to say that he's 'undecided' whether he's Catholic or Protestant. That's really insensitive.

It seems to me it's high time Bob bring in some consultant and have everyone attend a couple of seminars on cultural and religious sensitivity.

Rosie Perera:
Wondering why this matters. There is no product functionality that I know of that would or should behave differently depending on Doctrinal Choice.

What about the 'ranked view'? See the post I happened to write yesterday at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/50025/369691.aspx#369691. Given that these two 'features' turned up at the same time, is it that far fetched to suspect they're connected?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 8:10 AM | Locked

fgh:
It seems to me it's high time Bob bring in some consultant and have everyone attend a couple of seminars on cultural and religious sensitivity.
I was going to say the same thing.  There is a systemic issue at Logos as it relates to faiths outside the evangelical world.  There have been too many 'oops' like this one to say it was a one time thing.

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 8:10 AM | Locked

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

This setting is a prototype that wasn't supposed to ship, has no effect on the software, and will be removed in Beta 2. (It slipped into Beta 1 by mistake; I had been hoping that no one would notice, since it seemed likely it could generate a multi-page discussion on the forum... Smile)

Well, it was the only "visible" new feature in beta1, and we needed something to talk about in the beta forum.  So I thank you for that.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2694
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 8:27 AM | Locked

I thought the converstion was quite calm.. LOL

Lets be real though - who cares anyway.. I dont - I will read anything and try and glean the ear of wheat from the tares..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 3669
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 8:43 AM | Locked

seemed likely it could generate a multi-page discussion on the forum... Smile

Where's my like button? Big Smile

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 8079
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 9:23 AM | Locked

fgh:

What about the 'ranked view'? See the post I happened to write yesterday at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/50025/369691.aspx#369691. Given that these two 'features' turned up at the same time, is it that far fetched to suspect they're connected?

It is pretty far-fetched. Smile

While rank is new on Mac, it's been on Windows for a long time, and it has been added to increase Mac parity. (In fact, Mac already sorted by rank in Tile mode; this change just allows you to view the rank, and sort by it, in Details mode.) The implementation is exactly the same on the two platforms, hasn't changed recently, and is based purely on textual matching, not any sort of doctrinal filter.

The "Doctrinal Choice" setting code was deleted from the Logos 4 codebase last week (before any beta testers noticed it).

Posts 10596
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 10:49 AM | Locked

I had been hoping that no one would notice

Probably a futile wish. There are too many eyes in the Beta program. Someone will always tell.

it seemed likely it could generate a multi-page discussion on the forum...

It does not take much to prompt this. See, BillS has already searched for a "like" button Big Smile We love a good discussion, even when we have no idea what we are talking about Cool

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 10:58 AM | Locked

Hi ya’ll. Sorry I am late to the party, so what are we talkin’bout? Hey, anyone seen George? I seen his Fiat in the parking lot when I came in.....

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 11:11 AM | Locked

MJ. Smith:

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Wondering how Doctrinal Choice affects Logos 4 usage ?

This is such a tempting question. I must behave myself. I must behave myself. I must ...Zip it!Stick out tongue

Behaving myself, there's a momentous event implied - the Great Schism of 1054 has been resolved.YesBig Smile

Tempting to laugh out loud from questionable interpretations Wink

Personally a bit surprised by Program Setting addition considering Logos propensity to minimize Program Setting choices.

From a technical perspective, wonder about useful Logos 4 Program Setting addition(s) or change(s) ?

Personally wish Resource Panel Background could be extended to all of Logos 4 on Mac and PC with some high contrast color choices (e.g. white text on black background plus dark brown text on yellowish background).  For high visibility reading, consider color combinations for road signs, especially warnings (hence my desire for a yellowish background that is easier to read for many hours).  Also many forum smilies have black and yellow coloring, which is easy for human reading.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 11:18 AM | Locked

OOPS!! my bad, I meant Fiat Schwinn, sorry George.....Embarrassed , .

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 27020
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 12:40 PM | Locked

Jack Caviness:
We love a good discussion, even when we have no idea what we are talking about

shouldn't "even" be "especially"?Stick out tongue

And I'm close enough to consult with Logos employees on diversity and cultural sensitivity ... I'll just ask for free resources for life (for me and selected friends) in exchange.Cool

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 12:44 PM | Locked

This setting ... will be removed in Beta 2

You're going to take away my chance to be a Catholic? CryingStick out tongue

It is pretty far-fetched. Smile

While rank is new on Mac, it's been on Windows for a long time

And how was I supposed to know that? I've been reading these forums pretty much daily for 20 months, and as far as my memory serves me, I've never heard of a Rank column on Windows, nor can I remember seeing it on the Feature parity list. And none of the other users in the other thread seemed to know it wasn't new either.

it has been added to increase Mac parity

While I'm certainly glad you're working on that, I have to say I'd prefer that you concentrate on the things we complain about all the time, rather than things none of us seems to have missed, or even been aware of.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 12:57 PM | Locked

MJ. Smith:
I'm close enough to consult with Logos employees on diversity and cultural sensitivity

Bob should take you up on that. They could certainly do a lot worse!

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS