Creating a NT Visual Filter for Yahweh

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 103
Mark O'Hearn | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 26 2012 11:03 AM

I have created the following Visual Filter to highlight the word representing Yahweh - lemma:יהוה in the Old Testament using Morph Hebrew.

I would like to create one for the New Testament using Morph Greek.  I have reviewed some related posts concerning the word Yahweh, and have consulted some resources on the subject, but it remains unclear to me exactly what Greek word or words would faithfully represent Yahweh everytime.

Would appreciate assistance or insight into this matter.

Regards

Posts 1431
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2012 11:36 AM

The problem is, there are no Greek NT manuscripts with yhwh in them. You might extrapolate that where there are Old Testament quotations with yhwh represented as kurios, NT Kurios would be equivalent. But that's not what the text says, and you can't simply replace kurios with yhwh willy-nilly.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2012 12:21 PM

Ben:

The problem is, there are no Greek NT manuscripts with yhwh in them. You might extrapolate that where there are Old Testament quotations with yhwh represented as kurios, NT Kurios would be equivalent. But that's not what the text says, and you can't simply replace kurios with yhwh willy-nilly.

Concur Greek is not Hebrew.  My visual filter color choice is the same for lemma:יהוה and lemma:κύριος ANDEQUALS Lord due to English translations using the word Lord for both along with Septuagint translating יהוה as κύριος in Genesis 2:8, 2:15, 2:16, 2:18, 2:22, ... while knowing translation of κύριος into English includes: master, owner, sir, ... so κύριος has a wider range of use than יהוה 

Personally working on a follow-up to thread => Visual Filters and Biblical Places that includes Bold highlighting of God plus people, places, and things in the New Testament using Louw-Nida tagging.  Believe Bold highlighting of God is mostly done while have barely begun list of things.

My "Logos Greek Morphology" visual filter can be used as Bible or Morph; screen shot has boxes around Bible search items.  Also included my "Anderson-Forbes Hebrew Morphology - Names" visual filter for comparison since personally highlight a bit more:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 169
Eleanor Emmott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2012 12:57 PM

Wouldn't it be lovely if there was a better way to share visual filters than screen shots?

Now I'm off to search the forums to see if anyone else has requested the same thing yet...

Thanks for this, Keep Smiling!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2012 1:31 PM

Eleanor Emmott:
Wouldn't it be lovely if there was a better way to share visual filters than screen shots?

+1 Yes plus needs way to share highlighting palette with visual filter(s).

Wiki Extended Tips for Visual Filters has => Examples of visual filters and => Examples of highlighting palettes

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 103
Mark O'Hearn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2012 2:34 PM

Thanks Ben and Keep Smiling.  That was my general understanding too - range of words used but not necessarily referring to deity every time.  I will also examine your work Keep Smiling for further insight.

The Wiki is great, yet it is too bad that we cannot share (as in upload/download) program "components" like Visual Filters, as I suspect folks are creating some very useful and yet complicated ones that many Logos users would really enjoy including in their program.

It is also too bad that we cannot tie a particular Visual Filter to a particular layout. What I mean is say you are creating a reading layout and you want all your Bibles to only show Bible Text, works fine but later in another layout you toggle this off (i.e., toggle Bible Text Only filter on one of your favourite Bibles).  When you return to your reading layout (with this favourite Bible) you have to restore the filter.  Cumbersome.  Or have I missed something folks?

Regards

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2012 4:05 PM

Mark O'Hearn:
It is also too bad that we cannot tie a particular Visual Filter to a particular layout. What I mean is say you are creating a reading layout and you want all your Bibles to only show Bible Text, works fine but later in another layout you toggle this off (i.e., toggle Bible Text Only filter on one of your favourite Bibles).  When you return to your reading layout (with this favourite Bible) you have to restore the filter.  Cumbersome.  Or have I missed something folks?

Currently layouts opens stuff to desired screen locations plus bookmarks for reading location.  Extending bookmark functionality to include visual filters would be appreciated.

Alternative idea for Bible only showing Bible Text is a Personal Book Bible => American Standard Version 1901 - Personal Bible without Chapter and Verse #'s

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 28 2012 4:25 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Personally working on a follow-up to thread => Visual Filters and Biblical Places that includes Bold highlighting of God plus people, places, and things in the New Testament using Louw-Nida tagging.  Believe Bold highlighting of God is mostly done while have barely begun list of things.

People and Places visual filter update for New Testament using Louw-Nida numbers (most highlighted words have Biblical People and/or Places):

For highlighting things using Louw-Nida, choose to highlight domains 2 thru 8 along with Biblical Things in Louw-Nida domain 1 (right click):

Anticipating some visual filter updating while reading various New Testament passages, especially items with right click Biblical Things in a variety of Louw-Nida domains.  Also have option to refine highlighting of Louw-Nida domains 2 through 8 since a number of things do not have right click option for Biblical Things.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS