4.5 c Beta 3 shut down during an indexing

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 38 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2012 10:09 AM | Locked

8284.Updates.zip

Bradley Grainger (Logos):
you can delete that file after attaching it, then re-run "update resources" to see if that helps

Done.

It now says that 11.3MB of Resources are available.

1 resource was added to Library:

LLS:8564D772B7BBF85DB1043EE035ABA184

2012-02-16T17:48:09Z

8564D772B7BBF85DB1043EE035ABA184.logos4

This one had been ordered so long ago I had forgotten about it. It was ordered on April 9 and the latest update file on the Stable Logos4 version was May 11.

(If it matters the 4 remaining missing versions are also Vyrso creation (as was the one just downloaded).

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2012 1:50 PM | Locked

At 4:30 pm (my time) right after ordering 6 free Vyrso books, in my "usual" Beta version there was the message:  "resources are ready to be downloaded.

After clicking yes and starting download, small box appears saying "Indexer"has failed.

THEN resources apparently download with "Preparing   Library" and indication of % indexing with the usual steps 1-3 etc.

BUT at end of process when program appears on screen, nothing new is added to My Library.

[This has been the consistent continuing pattern-most of the time resources are predicted--most of the time nothing appears.] 

-- Also, I suspect that if I were to now switch over to the other "user" the Stable version will display these new 6 resources. That is the usual pattern. -- then about at least two weeks later, they might show up in the beta version, found on my "usual" user  location, etc. 

6888.Logos4.zip

8561.Logos4Indexer.zip

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2012 1:53 PM | Locked

your computer is having trouble accessing the download server

What confuses me is why the Stable installation is able to connect perfectly, but the Beta installation is not?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 8574
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2012 2:21 PM | Locked

I'm seeing some oddities in the Updates.db file you sent that I can't explain. Being able to look at one of the resource files from your system may help. Can you attach the following file from your beta installation?

C:\Users\8740-\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\jk0spigd.yjy\ResourceManager\Resources\APOCBEDE.logos4

(If I understood you correctly, these files exist in your Logos 4 folder but aren't being discovered. If that file is missing, please attach HEBEVRY.logos4 or EVRY62MK.logos4.)

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2012 3:07 PM | Locked

APOCBEDE.logos4

(If I understood you correctly, these files exist in your Logos 4 folder but aren't being discovered. If that file is missing, please attach HEBEVRY.logos4 or EVRY62MK.logos4.)

These files have all existed in Logos4 for at least a week. I am not even sure when the 2 of them updated today (unless it was when I was expecting the new resources? In that case I must have only looked at same number of resources rather than clicking on "Last Updated" to re-sort Library. MY apologies!). 

6201.APOCBEDE (2).zip

6253.APOCBEDE.zip

One of above is Logos4 file, the other is also  in the drawer and appears to be a Libronix file.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 8574
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2012 10:42 AM | Locked

SteveF:

After clicking yes and starting download, small box appears saying "Indexer"has failed.

I think this is the root of the problem; it's crashing (I think?) before it gets to download and discover the missing resources.

To log some more information about this problem, please place the attached file in your "Documents\Logos Log Files" folder, rename it to Logos4.NLog.config,restart the program (with the CTRL key), run "update resources" again, and attach the Logos4Indexer.log file to your reply.

1157.Logos4.NLog.config

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2012 1:35 PM | Locked

it's crashing (I think?) before it gets to download and discover the missing resources.

That sounds reasonable.

There was progress.

After the above steps I clicked on the "Update Available" (1.9MB)

It properly downloded/prepared libray (and competed indexing). ie there was not any warning box about an indexer failure.

The good:  3 new resources appeared. They were a part of the 6 new free Vyrso books that I ordered yesterday (and that had successfully appeared in the Stable version).

This means that there are still the other 3 from yesterday's order not downloaded-- plus the 4 still outstanding from earlier orders that have still not as of yet "made-it-over". But there is progress.

I waited until the lengthy indexing was completely done before attaching the log file

88587.Logos4Indexer.zip

Thanks.

Any other suggestions?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 8574
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2012 1:58 PM | Locked

SteveF:

Any other suggestions?

I suspect your system is not correctly detecting the presence of some of the resource files on your system (but I'm not sure how it got into this state). Please delete the following files:

C:\Users\8740-\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\jk0spigd.yjy\ResourceManager\logos\Discovered.db
  C:\Users\8740-\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\jk0spigd.yjy\ResourceManager\logos\Identified.db 

Then restart Logos 4. It shouldn't go into the "Preparing your library" phase during startup. (If it does, skip the rest of these instructions and see if your books now appear.) Otherwise, in the command box, enter "scan C:\Some\Empty\Folder" (just give the path to an empty folder) and restart Logos 4. Entering this dummy scan command will cause it to try to rediscover the books that are already in its resources folder.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2012 2:28 PM | Locked

As at first it did not go into "Preparing Library," so used the "dummy" plan of action.

Entering this dummy scan command will cause it to try to rediscover the books that are already in its resources folder.

It is definitely now trying to do/find something.

Lengthy "Preparing Library" taking place.

Will report back when concluded.

[EDIT] Sadly, after all of that long "preparing" routine  there was nothing new, neither in updates or resources.

Thanks

ps. Was I to have appended any other logs?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 8574
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2012 4:35 PM | Locked

SteveF:

ps. Was I to have appended any other logs?

If you've still got the Logos4Indexer.log file from that session, I'd like to see it.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2012 4:44 PM | Locked

the Logos4Indexer.log file from that session

Done.

6406.Logos4Indexer.zip

What were these many lines about?: "Error Sinai.Message Failed to load image from"

(Over all, looking at all the error/exception lines, I don't think the Indexer really liked that little exercise? Zip it!)

Thanks so much.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2012 5:37 PM | Locked

Speaking of "not liking" that last exercise, something else has happened:

Although the library had all of the same resources showing I only just now tried to load one of them.

BUT when I do each appears as a blank page with "this resource is no longer in your library"

There is also a command to re-start, to re-download and then again to re-start again.

But as I tried to either hit the re-download button or even shut
Logos down I got the "non-responding" message and then the "Logos has a problem and has to close" etc, and "windows is working on it" message so I clicked on the "shut down" choice.

The following is the only log that was generated

13311.Logos4.zip

On re-starting it went directly to another lengthy  "Preparing Libray" splash screen.

Here is the Logos4Indexer log that was then produced.

5670.Logos4Indexer.zip

And the present operating Logos4 log

8662.Logos4.zip

There were no other up-to-date logs produced.

Again, even AFTER ANOTHER RE-START,  it cannot load/find any resource, even though their "images" appear in the Library. It does not matter  how many I try, the same Message: "This resource is no longer" etc.

So rather than re-SCAN etc, I'll wait for your next suggestion.

[By logging onto the other USER account, I can at least read resources on the Stable version or on my old Libronix 3,

(I just cannot remember if I have a word processor available on that "user", and if I do, If I can also save to a preferred location.).]

...the mystery continues...

all the best.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 8574
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2012 8:55 PM | Locked

SteveF:

BUT when I do each appears as a blank page with "this resource is no longer in your library"

I'm really sorry for "destroying" your beta library; I never would have imagined that this could be a possible consequence of running the commands I suggested. To be honest, I've never seen the errors in your log file before, so you've definitely found something new and unique.

I think the quickest way forward might be if I can get remote access to your computer and run various commands; what time of day would work well for me to temporarily take over your computer (and what time zone are you in)?

I hope you can get your work done using your stable installation, and I hope we can get your beta installation up and running quickly.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2012 7:17 AM | Locked

[later EDIT: this morning when I turned on the computer  (without starting Logos4) a notification popped up that Logos was again "Preparing Library" - I've started Logos and I'll let you know the results when it is completed.]

{EDIT #2 Same "no resources" results - 2 new logs ]

3107.Logos4.zip

3583.Logos4Indexer.zip

Hi Bradley, sorry you had to stay so long at work.

I am in the Eastern Time Zone am 3 hours later than you are.

I am assuming that I need to be here at teh computer while this takes place.

Many years ago someone used that technioque to re-set a Libronix issue.

It does puzzle me why the book images even "appear" within the Library.

I am just printing off tonight's Bible Study pages, so once that is done, anytime would be fine.

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2012 8:14 AM | Locked

New message says 15.51GB available!

My goodness, it appears that the whole Resource drawer is going to re-download--in that case it will be quite a while before I can provide any more logs etc.

[Related question: Do I dare then try to later SCAN in my Libronix resources (in order to get my Sermons & Illustrations resource?)]

Thanks

It took about 40 minutes to download 7-8% on a dedicated DSL line-with a wireless modem. It is running right now at 300.0 Mbps. I think at that rate it will take another 7 hours? Plus whatever extra time is required for indexing. So this might take into the overnight to completely get up and running. 

[EDIT: well it cancelled or concluded very "quickly" without doing too much of anything. From My Home Page I can see that the following is available: 

Porter, Stanley E., Matthew Brook O’Donnell, Jeffrey T. Reed et al. The OpenText.org Syntactically Analyzed Greek New Testament: Clause Analysis; OpenText.org Clause Analysis, Logos Bible Software, 2006.

But apparently not much else?

0882.Logos4Indexer.zip

4113.Logos4.berfore closing app.zip

6114.Logos4.after closing app.zip

Curiouser and curiouser...

I need to re-boot now for a differeing program to update.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2012 10:22 AM | Locked

It seems now that everytime I reboot the computer it wants to again download.

This time it says 11.82GB

We shall see...

This time I will not load Logos4 during the "downloading" to see if that has a better result.

Bad news: As I am typing this I again got the "Logos4 Indexer has stopped working" message box.

Oh well...

But perhaps good news in that Error and Crash logs for th eindexer now appear to have updated.

here are those three indexer related logs.

1121.Logos4Indexer.zip

3286.Logos4IndexerCrash.zip

0882.Logos4IndexerError.zip

Thanks

ps. All three of these logs contain the following error: 

Error detail: ArgumentException: Font 'Microsoft Sans Serif' does not support style 'Regular'.

What is that about?

And Why/how would Microsoft fonts be involved in any of this "crashing"? 

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2012 3:17 PM | Locked

Thanks for your time today Bradley!

No matter what else might have been discovered I would be interested in why (on differing User partitions)  "Stable" appears to work fine, whilst "Beta" had these problems.

And also just for interest sake if it was a "Logos," "Microsoft," or my own "User" created issue.

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 8574
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2012 7:26 PM | Locked

SteveF:

ps. All three of these logs contain the following error: 

Error detail: ArgumentException: Font 'Microsoft Sans Serif' does not support style 'Regular'.

What is that about?

I noticed that error. There's not much information on the Internet about it, but the most likely cause is that that font file is corrupted or unreadable.

You can probably fix it by uninstalling that font from the Fonts folder. However, it is a system font and some applications may require it to be present to work correctly. I'm not sure how to reinstall it properly. Because it is a system file, it's possible that "sfc /scannow" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833) would detect that it's missing and repair it, but that's just a guess.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2012 8:44 PM | Locked

You can probably fix it by uninstalling that font from the Fonts folder

The "scannow" operation sees no "integrity violations" 

The font in question refuses to allow itself to be deleted saying that it is a protected system font.

[EDIT: the question remains, though, is this truly an "error" if the Stable version works fine and does not see any difficulties with this font?]

Regards, SteveF

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS