Bible Study Best Practices

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 54
Dave Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 17 2009 6:39 AM

I'm not a preaching pastor. I work behind the scenes creating media for our services. A few years ago I was burnt out. I realized I was not honoring the Sabbath or taking responsibility for my own spiritual growth. Which I've found to be tragically common for those who work at a church. 

Anyway I've made a lot of changes and I picked up Logos a few months ago because Mark Driscoll was promoting it. Being a techie I've got a good handle on how to use the program but I'm looking for some best practices when it comes to studying the Bible. In other words I've got a good grasp on what the program can do I'm looking for the how and why to use it. I have the basic home bible study edition and I can get overwhelmed with the information Logos can put at my finger tips. But I want to make sure I'm not abusing the information or misinterpreting it. 

I'm averaging studying 1-2 verses a day. That takes me 30-60 minutes. I'm really enjoying it, growing closer to Jesus and seeing Him change my life from the inside out. I'm focusing on the old saying of letting the Bible get through me instead of me getting through the Bible. 

Any resources to point me towards? Really enjoying it just want to get better and utilize as much of the program as I can. 

Thanks,

Dave

Posts 3854
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 7:20 AM

Dave Smith:

I'm averaging studying 1-2 verses a day. That takes me 30-60 minutes. I'm really enjoying it, growing closer to Jesus and seeing Him change my life from the inside out. I'm focusing on the old saying of letting the Bible get through me instead of me getting through the Bible.

Any resources to point me towards? Really enjoying it just want to get better and utilize as much of the program as I can.

Dave, if you are using L3, you might find this link of interest.  MJ Smith published a list Bible Study methods as PBBs a while back.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/336/3343.aspx#3343

Sadly, PBBs are not yet available in L4 - supposed to be coming.

I thought there was another thread where a number of methods were posted as either zip or as PDF files.  I know I contributed to that thread, but since I do not have access to PBB Builder, this was the best I could do.  I think that MJ Smith also contributed to that thread.  Perhaps somebody else can find that thread.

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 7:29 AM

Floyd Johnson:
I thought there was another thread where a number of methods were posted as either zip or as PDF files.  I know I contributed to that thread, but since I do not have access to PBB Builder, this was the best I could do.  I think that MJ Smith also contributed to that thread.  Perhaps somebody else can find that thread.

This one?  Bible study methods and tools with index

Or this one? Traditional methods of Bible Study

EDIT:
AAARRRGGGGH!   This forum software keeps slicing the links when I post them through the stinking tinymce editor!

Try these links which are the same as above without the html:

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/336/3085.aspx

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/375/3906.aspx

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 54
Dave Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 11:59 AM

Thanks guys. I have Logos on the Mac and I don't think it supports PBB files. 

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 1:11 PM

Sorry Dave, I knew that but the wires didn't connect in my head. 

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 33769
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 1:15 PM

While it is still very much an infant, you can go to http://lbs.layliturgy.org/ as a start. I was just about to add the worksheets (graphic organizers) at the point Logos 4 came out. Because I was counting on certain features of Logos (sentence diagrammer and PBB), I'm having to rework my priorities. But I can certainly take a break from playing with Logos and get on to "real work" - especially if you tell me what sort of methods/techniques you'd like me to post ... I have about four years worth of a Bible study group's material to reformat.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 54
Dave Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 1:59 PM

MJ: Thanks for sharing the resource. I guess what I've been doing has been close to the Frame of Reference method you posted. I pick a book of the Bible and work through it. Only I'll add reading through a few commentary passages to make sure my conclusions fall within traditional/ orthodox view but still personally relevant to me. 

It's probably normal to feel overwhelmed by the amount of info Logos puts at my fingertips. I feel like I have to read everything Logos returns in a passage study. I guess I just need to pick a few favorite commentaries to refer to on a regular basis and venture out when I want to really dig deeper into a passage. 

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 7:01 AM

Dave,

I believe I have a few paper books about "how to study the bible" and I'd be more than happy to give them to you...

Just give me your mailing address at:

rpavich at gmail dot com

bob

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 54
Dave Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 2:09 PM

Thanks guys. After digging around some more I found MacArthur's book on How To Study the Bible in my Logos library which I read through and it helped me out a lot. And I found a Handbook To Bible Study in my Logos library. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS