Logos 4 Mac won't open

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 10
Matthew H | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 9 2012 2:19 PM

I just bought it today and downloaded, ran it for a few minutes. I later had to do a hard reboot (manual shutoff and restart without proper shutdown) because of the waiting curser. I assumed because it was running hot and I need a RAM upgrade. Anyway I turned my mac back on and tried to open Logos 4 but it crashes within seconds. A window shows up indicating "Signing in..." and then the application closes. Can anyone help? I have since attempted several proper restarts, deleting the program and reinstalling, and no luck. 

Posts 28244
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2012 2:36 PM

Matthew - First, welcome to the forums! Sorry you are having troubles.

You mentioned that you need upgrades... what are your computer specs? Also, you should be aware that the computer will need to download all the resources and then index. Depending upon the amount of resources you have plus your computer specs, this process can take 8 hours or more. What base package did you buy?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10
Matthew H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2012 2:48 PM

I bought the leader's library. I had assumed everything downloaded after the resources were downloaded and I was able to use the software for the brief moment I had. 

I have a 2011 Mac Mini OSX 10.7.4, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 with 2 GB of Ram. Sometimes things are a bit laggy and the macbook I had before this Mac Mini had 4 GB of Ram so I thought maybe I should upgrade some time. 

I was able to use the software up until the hard restart and it wouldn't open. 

Posts 10
Matthew H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2012 3:11 PM

I thought maybe I had a damaged disk image due to the hard restart so I downloaded a new disk image from my order history from the website. After the initial download, I clicked on the application and the same thing happens. The application crashes before the log in window appears to continue the download of my resource library. 

Posts 28244
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2012 4:52 PM

Matthew:
I have a 2011 Mac Mini OSX 10.7.4, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 with 2 GB of Ram.

2 GB of ram is really pushing it. 2GB are required just to run Lion. Logos suggests 4GB, but their recommendation was created before Lion. I don't know if RAM is your problem or not… but you should be maxing out your mini. RAM is pretty cheap for the mini if you purchase somewhere other than Apple.

Matthew:
The application crashes before the log in window appears to continue the download of my resource library.

I thought your resources had already downloaded. The indexing and downloading icons are the same (the blue Logos icon in the upper right hand corner). Can you right click on the icon and see what it is doing?

Posts 10
Matthew H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2012 5:49 PM

On a side note, I went ahead and ordered an upgrade of my RAM

...I had assumed since I tried the installation all over again that I would have to sit through the resource library downloading again. I guess not? I did notice earlier that the indexing was not finished. When I posted before I didn't notice this. It has finished now and there is no longer a Logos icon in the top right. Nothing happened after it finished and I experienced the same issue even after another restart. 

Posts 28244
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2012 6:25 PM

Matthew:
...I had assumed since I tried the installation all over again that I would have to sit through the resource library downloading again. I guess not?

No. The software "engine" download is separate from the resources. (Thats a good thing. Smile)

Matthew:
Nothing happened after it finished and I experienced the same issue even after another restart. 

I think you will need to post logs. You can find info on this by search for "diagnostic logging" in the wiki. I normally provide a direct link to the right page, but the wiki isn't loading for me right now. 

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 10
Matthew H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2012 7:25 PM

I can't access the wiki either for the directions. I think I have the crash logs you asked for but I can't figure out how to post them onto the forum.

Posts 28244
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2012 8:33 PM

Matthew:
I think I have the crash logs you asked for but I can't figure out how to post them onto the forum.

Use the paperclip icon in the formatting pallet. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2012 8:34 PM

Matthew:

I can't access the wiki either for the directions. I think I have the crash logs you asked for but I can't figure out how to post them onto the forum.

Welcome Smile

Observation: Apple's diagnostic crash reports are a bit different than Logos 4 diagnostic log files.

Could enable diagnostic logging, restart Mac, launch Logos 4 Mac, click "Sign In" if dialog box appears.  If Logos Bible Software 4 window does not appear, wait for 4 minutes.  If still no window, then compress log files and attach to a forum reply (click on paper clip).  Wiki Mac Troubleshooting has => How to Report Bugs in Logos 4 Mac

Optional: download and use 5504.Logos4MacLogging.app.zip to display your logging setting, then change to enable logging.

Optional: download and use Logos Log Scribe application to create a zip file on your desktop that includes your diagnostic logs plus a copy of console messages.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10
Matthew H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 10 2012 6:25 AM

okay diagnostic logging is enabled for my mac. 

I guess the logs files I had must be in word because the uploader won't accept the file type. I'll change that later.

I don't have any Logos 4 files at all in my Library/Application Support , Library/Caches , etc.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 10 2012 7:11 AM

Matthew:
I don't have any Logos 4 files at all in my Library/Application Support , Library/Caches , etc.

a) Are you sure you're checking ~/Library/Application Support and not Library/Application Support? (The ~ stands for your username.)

b) I believe these files are hidden by default on Lion. If you don't know how to make them visible, you will have to wait for a Lion user or figure it out for yourself, as I'm still on 10.6.

c) If you are looking at the correct Application Support folder you should see something like this, and the Data folder should be pretty big:

(Normally there would be an indexer log there as well.)

Matthew:
I guess the logs files I had must be in word because the uploader won't accept the file type.

More likely the file is simply too big. That happened to me the other day. How big is it?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10
Matthew H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 10 2012 10:03 AM

fgh - you were correct about the Library folder and I now know how to access it. I followed the steps in the Logos Wiki for retrieving the logging files. Here is the zip file 

1881.Logging.zip

I hope this helps anyone attempting to help me on the forum. I am completely lost on what to do and I don't understand the logging data. I'm just waiting to contact technical support during office hours if I can't resolve the issue with the forum. Thank you all so much. 

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 10 2012 10:39 AM

Matthew:
I hope this helps anyone attempting to help me on the forum.

So do I. Unfortunately, I'm not "anyone" in this case. You'll have to wait for the log-reading folks to come home from church. (I'm in Sweden, so I'm on another schedule.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 28244
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 10 2012 11:31 AM

Matthew:
I am completely lost on what to do and I don't understand the logging data. I'm just waiting to contact technical support during office hours if I can't resolve the issue with the forum.

Matthew - I am not completely lost, but I am not a techie either. I have helped other users and I MAY be able to help you with this one. I won't feel bad if you decide to wait for Logos or someone with more knowledge than me. Smile

Your logs show that you have an "invalid database." The offending file is PreferencesManager.db. If you feel a little adventurous, you can try deleting (or moving to a safe location such as the desktop) that file. It is found in the location I have highlighted in bold:

06/10/2012 12:58:00 | ERROR | 3 |     SyncManager | Unexpected exception encountered during synchronization - System.InvalidOperationException: Invalid database: /Users/mattharmon/Library/Application Support/Logos4/Documents/95o9xzom.vdg/UserPreferences/PreferencesManager.db

Posts 10
Matthew H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 10 2012 11:54 AM

I tried what you suggested and moved that file to the desktop (I was weary about deleting it) I tried opening Logos again and has the same issue. My finder window was kept open and I noticed afterward that a new copy of PreferencesManager.db appeared. 

Also the same thing occurred after being more adventurous and deleting the file.

Posts 10
Matthew H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 10 2012 12:06 PM

Earlier I mentioned that I had tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Since I was unaware of Lion hiding the Library folder and that to fully uninstall I had to delete all the Logos 4 files in Application Support, Caches, Launch Agents, and Preferences folders, I didn't do a true uninstall and reinstall. I am trying that now and will report back.

Posts 28244
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 10 2012 12:49 PM

Matthew:
I noticed afterward that a new copy of PreferencesManager.db appeared.

That is to be expected. Smile

Matthew:
Since I was unaware of Lion hiding the Library folder and that to fully uninstall I had to delete all the Logos 4 files in Application Support, Caches, Launch Agents, and Preferences folders, I didn't do a true uninstall and reinstall.

Normally, that is something only needed in extreme situations. I don't know if you needed that or not, but since you are already doing it, hopefully it works for you. Smile

Posts 10
Matthew H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 10 2012 5:49 PM

Logos 4 is up and running no problem after the reinstall. I will definitely be needing that RAM upgrade I ordered though

Posts 28244
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 10 2012 5:55 PM

Matthew:
Logos 4 is up and running no problem after the reinstall.

Glad its working! Smile

Matthew:
I will definitely be needing that RAM upgrade I ordered though

Yes. Yes you will. Big Smile

As an FYI - Be sure to check the forums regularly. Logos has freebies every now & then. Also, you should know that VYRSO is the "trade" eBook store from Logos and has freebies several times a week. These books will integrate into your Logos library, and although they will not be heavily tagged, many are still very useful. Make sure to use your same username & password so that the books will be added to your Logos account.

Here is a link to the current months freebie page for Vyrso: http://vyrso.com/june

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS