Notes: Another Step Backwards in Latest RC

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1938
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 28 2012 7:54 AM

I was so impressed with the speed and performance of typing a note on the previous release, but this latest RC is a big step backwards. The lag returned and its quite disappointing. Do you guys test notes before releasing? And if so do you just decide it doesn't matter?

Posts 2944
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2012 8:15 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

I was so impressed with the speed and performance of typing a note on the previous release, but this latest RC is a big step backwards. The lag returned and its quite disappointing. Do you guys test notes before releasing? And if so do you just decide it doesn't matter?

I believe the QA department at Logos needs to be examine.  I am convinced that they do not test (thoroughly) their products.  Instead, they release their product by calling it a beta and let their users to find the bugs.  Some of the bugs that have made it into production have given me the chills.

Posts 645
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2012 10:30 AM

Agreed Kevin and Tom. Logos has the most frustrating system for this I have ever seen, slowest as well.

It is what it is. We buy it this way, continue to add to it this way, so there is no reason for them to change it- for Logos, this is working out great.

Hopefully by the time Logos for Mac is considered and real product that is finished, it will be better.

Till then, it's all beta no matter what they call it.

Posts 8147
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2012 11:37 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
this latest RC is a big step backwards

Just to be clear: are you saying that 4.5c is worse than 4.5b, or that RC2 is worse than RC1?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2263
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2012 5:27 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

Hopefully by the time Logos for Mac is considered and real product that is finished, it will be better.

Till then, it's all beta no matter what they call it.

Yes it would have been nice if they kept libronix up and running till Logos 4 for the mac was actually working properly. But when all is said and done i think LOGOS does consider it's mac product basically done… and not sure when it will ever be bug free.

-Dan

Posts 1938
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2012 8:12 PM

fgh:

Kevin A. Purcell:
this latest RC is a big step backwards

Just to be clear: are you saying that 4.5c is worse than 4.5b, or that RC2 is worse than RC1?

I thought I was on RC2 but the final version of 4.5c was actually installed and that is worse than the previous RC which I'm pretty sure was RC1 on the Mac I'm presently using. I have another one that know had RC2.

On 4.5c the notes feature is very laggy.

Posts 913
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2012 8:57 PM

I can understand an impression, but without some sort of measurement, how can one say it's really slower and it's the new versions design that's the fault?

Posts 8369
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 29 2012 2:41 AM

Michael Ballai:
without some sort of measurement, how can one say it's really slower

When I can type three-four words while L4 is still displaying the first few characters, the application has slowed and become practically unusable. Have not been using L4 Notes in the last few weeks, but it is now definitely slower than previously.

Don't know if logs are of any use on this issue, but here is a set. Quit L4 shortly after attempting to type in a large note

1106.LogosLogs Jack Caviness 20120629-053809.gz

UPDATE: L4 had been running overnight with the previous logs, so restarted and tried the typing again. Noted that the text appeared sooner this time. Still slow, but acceptable for my typing—which would never get me employment in that field.

1033.LogosLogs Jack Caviness 20120629-054403.gz

Posts 8147
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 29 2012 8:52 AM

Dan Francis:
Yes it would have been nice if they kept libronix up and running till Logos 4 for the mac was actually working properly.

L3 doesn't work on Mac, so I can't see how that would have been any help.

Dan Francis:
But when all is said and done i think LOGOS does consider it's mac product basically done…

They considered it more than 'basically' done at the time it was launched:

"We’re pleased to announce that the full, final release version of Logos 4 Mac is shipping today. (...)

Logos 4 Mac is built from the ground up. It’s designed by Mac software developers specifically for Mac users. Logos 4 Mac thrives in a Mac environment, and takes advantage of the simplicity, speed, and intuitive design that Mac users have come to love. (...)

This is the full, final release version. It has all the bells and whistles. (...)

This is the full release version of Logos 4 Mac. It's the real deal."

October 2, 2010

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8147
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 29 2012 8:53 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
I thought I was on RC2 but the final version of 4.5c was actually installed and that is worse than the previous RC which I'm pretty sure was RC1 on the Mac I'm presently using. I have another one that know had RC2.

Well, if it's a regression from RC1, that should at least increase the chance that it's addressed in a SR.

Logos, can we have some word that you've seen this and are working on it!

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 13039
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 30 2012 7:12 AM

fgh:
Well, if it's a regression from RC1, that should at least increase the chance that it's addressed in a SR.

Wonder about Notes performance using Logos 4.5c SR-1 (4.53.0.2270) that was released Friday 29 June ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1778
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 30 2012 8:32 AM

I agree about the regression and I am now beyond frustrated. The only word that adequately describes what I feel is mystified.

I am mystified. I can't believe this is acceptable. Sorry to be a downer. I really want to be uplifting by saying that it has improved, but it hasn't. Sad

Logos for Mac - Wiki Page and FAQ

Posts 1938
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 30 2012 8:44 AM

I just loaded the most recent update that released on 6-29 and it seems a little better. There is still a slight hiccup after about 10-15 characters typed depending on speed. I understand that someone who touch typs at about 60-70 wpm might be too fast for Logos, but no other application on my computer has this issue but Logos 4. Its better but not perfect which forgive me is my expectation.

Posts 13039
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 3 2012 1:00 AM

Feature Parity list now includes:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 25
Stave Marquez | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 18 2012 8:02 PM

I just noticed this tonight when I tried to use Logos for my notes for the first time. I use Olive Tree's Bible Reader for my notes because it displays in my iPad when I am teaching along side the scripture in another window. I would much prefer to use Logos on iPad and for my notes.

However, when I tried, the lag time was so bad I gave up and went back to Olive Tree. It was really frustrating. Is there any chance it is going to get fixed any time soon?

Thanks!

Posts 317
Bob Deacon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 19 2012 3:30 PM

It is in fact being worked on. The solution will take some time but it will happen!

Bob Deacon

MacBook Pro, OSX Mountain Lion

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS