Does a Windows or a Mac system wear the HDD/SSD less?

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2012 7:47 AM

I'm looking at cheaper laptops. Windows laptops that can run Logos, range from $230-$380, the cheapest don't have antivirus and have a bit small HDD 80-120 GB, but that should be enough, Windows 7, some lack Scandinavian/Finnish keys. Mid-price computers probably have better battery-life, seem to come with larger HDD, usually 4 GB RAM, but 32-bit Windows 7. The $380 one doesn't have Microsoft Word, but has docking-station, car-charger, antivirus installed, Windows Vista, fingerprint recognition, 3 GB RAM, adequate monitor resolution (1440x900, same as what I recommended others who study), full keyboard. Fujtisu Esprimo.

I can get Word intalled for $46.

The internet use will be minimal. I won't purchase cellular broadband internet or ADSL broadband.

Should I consider a Mac instead as a more long-term sollution from start? Would a MacOS X 10.5 -system with 3 GB RAM wear the HDD less than a Windows Vista system with 3 GB RAM? I would pay slightly more for a Mac since I think the problems with viruses is a severe problem even though I would only use it minimally for internet (mostly at school), the first laptop I bought stopped functioning because of the previous owners viruses (came without antivirus and I didn't install antivirus).

The performance of used laptops seem to have developed surprisingly little in Normal 0 21 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 1¾ years - they still don't come with fast CPU:s, good battery life, larger monitors.

The main reasons I'm considering the Fujtisu Esprimo is that the extra features would be fun, and the larger monitor resolution. School closes now so I don't have time to look up how much it weighs.

Now I'm considering an ASUS K53U. Unused in box. $275. Slow CPU. 2 GB RAM, expandable to 8 GB. Large HDD. Very bad monitor resolution.  Seller doesn't know if it's a 32-bit or 64-bit system because he/she (foreign name) is not at home right now.  The model is aproximately little less than 1 years old.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 74
Stephen Chaffer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2012 9:49 AM

I got Macbook Pro 8gig ram and 128 SSD, works well with Logos and Word, use Word for formatting my docx files its good at Macro editing. The only thing I can say is the 128 is too small for what I need, ware and tare of the SSD does not show up to be a major problem...Apple Care would resolve any issues for three years, they would replace the SSD if it failed, you need to backup, I use Time Machine, this wouldallow you to restore your machine back to the last backup point within a couple of hours at most. (Over twenty-five years, I have had several IDE hard drives break, whatever hard-drive they are unreliable, backup).

I would advice you to buy your Mac from the nearest Apple shop, so if anything goes wrong you can quickly have the machine fixed by visiting their shop. Better than waiting days for a returns etc.

Hope this helps, 

Yours Always in Jesus' Love

Stephen 

Twitter: @oldpaths_pub

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2012 9:56 AM

I understand Your recommendation. An Apple shop has just opened in a suburb close to where I live, the first real Apple shop in this country. But I can't afford a new computer nor an old maxed computer and/or with good performance and/or all possible features.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2012 11:02 AM

Unix:
Should I consider a Mac instead as a more long-term sollution from start? Would a MacOS X 10.5 -system with 3 GB RAM wear the HDD less than a Windows Vista system with 3 GB RAM?

After October Logos won't produce any more major updates for 10.5, just Service Releases. You'd be stuck with 4.6 or 4.6a. For the same reason you should make sure not to get XP.

3 GB will be slow now, and there's no knowing if L5 will work with it at all.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 74
Stephen Chaffer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2012 12:23 PM

If you want the best advice but the best PC laptop (4 to 8 gig ram) you can afford, (without SSD) as your not in a financial position to buy the cutting edge tech., on the market. This will be adequate for Logos 4 and use a free word processor.

Yours in Jesus' Love

Stephen

Twitter: @oldpaths_pub 

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 12:14 AM

Larger monitors than 1024x768 or 1368x768 pixels, seem to be much more expensive over here and that's one thing I unfortunately can't afford! Almost all books I use are very long, so it's time-consuming to scroll them on a small monitor. The cheap computers don't weigh considerably less because of the small monitor.

What I'm worried about is how much can I sell it for when I need to change the computer to a newer/better. I think I would manage with 4 GB RAM, the RAM was rarely full in the laptop I used to use, but it looks like I'm going to have 4 GB. I'm not worried at all about not being able to install L5, I don't plan to keep the computer that long.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 7:22 AM

There is a Windows 7 laptop for sale now for $380. An SSD follows with it, 90 GB. Can I install the SSD? It has 4 GB RAM. I asked the seller a couple of questions.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 22 2012 3:49 AM

There is a computer for sale now that has the exact same CPU and RAM (4 GB) and monitor size (1366x768 pixel) as the one I used to use, the price is $153, it has Windows Vista 32-bit:
http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Fujitsu_Siemens_Amilo_16__42835326.htm?ca=11&w=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rcmrfo_SB0

As I've understood, only 3GB minus video memory is available because the operative system is 32-bit!

The computer with the SSD could be a better choice, as it performance-wise would be compatible with L5 and I would benefit from that meanwhile. But I think I'll bid a slightly lower price! I'm a bit unsure though whether the computer with SSD would be worth the price? And I bet computer are much cheaper in the US!

EDIT: Now the seller of the computer with SSD called me, and said that he can deliver the computer with Windows installed on both the SSD and the the HDD. I didn't manage to bid a lower price. The HDD is new 7200 rpm and has Windows 7 installed. Now I sent an SMS to the sellers cellular phone asking him if he can install Windows 8 on the SSD instead of Windows 7. I'll get the computer on monday afternoon. Now he replied the SMS and said he can't install W8.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2012 8:00 AM

I bought the laptop with an SSD early this morning (we were unable to meet yesterday). It has a small 1366x768 pixel monitor. I didn't get a lower price, but the seller worked with computers (surveillance cam installation), and had worked with computer since the ago of 14/15. He is now 40. He gave me a warranty on the SSD (which was unused in a sealed box) and installed Windows 7 and the Samsung-specific functionality on it for me. He said that if I need to re-install Windows 7 any time in the future he'll send me it on a USB drive.
I installed Logos on the SSD, but set temporary files folder, documents, and virtual memory to the HDD which is connected with USB 2.0. 16 GB virtual memory with the largest possible file allocation size, should be enough for good! I set the Logos program scaling to 120% and the font to 90%

The seller said that this model is good because the manufacturer soon after changed the CPU type to Celeron which is much worse than the Core 2 Duo this one has. He also said that this laptop would have cost ~$1900 as new if it would have been manufactured with an SSD back then. He bought 25 of them, and he got them sold quickly. This last one was unused for the last half a year. The latest antivirus he used on it is Microsoft Security Essentials.

So the speed of the CPU shouldn't affect the performance of Logos? What about responsiveness? When I used Logos in April-August 2012, from what I remember now of my experience three things annoyed me:
1) Closing tabs was slow
2) Some of the searches were slow
3) When typing a search my search-string didn't show up fast on the monitor
The computer was generally slow.

With my setup, what causes the most wear to the drives?

Dan Francis:
Unix:
What of the following makes the greatest difference in speed?:

• Larger HDD
  • Higher GHz
  • Newer CPU (for example Intel i3 dualcore)?
  • 13" monitor instead of 11"

A larger computer doesn't bother me at Church and in the commuter-train (the only local-area trains over here with a socket for passengers to use electricity, the most typical distance I travel with it is 13-16 minutes)

Newer CPUs due tend to preform faster
[...]
when I tried out a macbook Air with SSD (all airs have SSD) even though it was only a 1.8 GHz machine Logos seemed to work much faster, even with less memory and slower processor speed.

-Dan

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 5248
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2012 9:56 AM

Hi Uxix 

I think that now you have made your purchase you will get more help in the windows forum.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS