Bible Study Magizine Back Issues

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 6
Rev.Dr.George H. Guyer III | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 20 2012 8:16 PM

Hello All!

I'm trying to complete my "paper/magizine" issues of The Bible Study Magizine.  I need the Jan-Feb 2009, and the Sept-Oct 2010 issues.  Does anymore out there in "LOGOS Land" have those copies, and be willing to part with them?  I would be happy to pay  for them, including shipping.  I am on the "Pre-pub Bidding List" for the future Bible Study Magizine that will be able to be on our LOGOS software, but I'm looking for the paper editions.  Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Blessings,

Rev. George Guyer, Chaplain, The Pines Chapel Ministry, Whiting, New Jersey

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2012 5:18 PM

Perhaps you are just advocating for a change in Logos intent, but my understanding is that Logos does not intend to release BSM in an e-format.

I'm currently attempting to hold onto my back issues too--but like you, have missed a couple along the way.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2012 9:02 PM

Ward Walker:

Perhaps you are just advocating for a change in Logos intent, but my understanding is that Logos does not intend to release BSM in an e-format.

I'm currently attempting to hold onto my back issues too--but like you, have missed a couple along the way.

Here is the pre-pub page to BSM:http://www.logos.com/product/6305/bible-study-magazine-2008-2009

On this page, it states, "Coming soon as a print book!"  I wonder how many people think this prepub is for L4 instead of being a book?

Posts 2872
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 23 2012 3:21 PM

This is one of the biggest head scratchers I can think of. A Digital publishing company won't create a digital copy of a print magazine despite the subscribers begging for it and many saying they will only subscribe when its digital.

Still waiting for a good reason for this from the powers that be at Logos.

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 23 2012 3:51 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

This is one of the biggest head scratchers I can think of. A Digital publishing company won't create a digital copy of a print magazine despite the subscribers begging for it and many saying they will only subscribe when its digital.

Still waiting for a good reason for this from the powers that be at Logos.

A digital version would free up some space on my bookshelf.  :)

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 23 2012 4:27 PM

A digital version would save Logos a ton of postage cost. This has to be a big motivator for magazines to go digital.

Posts 2780
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 23 2012 7:25 PM

A lot of traditional magazine publishers now have both print and online/digital copy. I have considered subscribing to BSM, but do not want the luggage and storage problems of physical media anymore. If there were a digital version, I would subscribe and probably read once/give away my print copy. :-)

Posts 44
LogosEmployee
John D. Barry | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 25 2012 10:31 AM

We are currently only offering Bible Study Magazine in print since we want to encourage people to buy the print edition. (BSM is created for a different audience than our regular users--aimed primarily at getting people who aren't studying the Bible yet, digitally or otherwise, into the Word.) However, we do have plans to make back issues available for Logos and are looking into other options as well.

To answer the earlier question regarding available back issues, all the back issues that are available are listed here: http://www.logos.com/products/search?q=bible+study+magazine

Some issues are out of print, like the Jan-Feb 2009 issue. To help address this, we currently have this print book on pre-pub--as was pointed out earlier--which we're in the midst of creating: http://www.logos.com/product/6305/bible-study-magazine-2008-2009

Posts 2872
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2012 8:51 AM

John D. Barry:
We are currently only offering Bible Study Magazine in print since we want to encourage people to buy the print edition. (BSM is created for a different audience than our regular users--aimed primarily at getting people who aren't studying the Bible yet, digitally or otherwise, into the Word.) However, we do have plans to make back issues available for Logos and are looking into other options as well.

I understand the thinking, I just think it's not good business. You can run it as you please obviously. I just think you're leaving money on the table by not offering a digital version. I'm a print subscriber because I really like the magazine. But it would be very nice to have the content in Logos as well.

And only offering the print edition to encourage purchase of it is like Ford only offering cars with tape players because they want to encourage the purchase of them. People are increasingly going away from print and want digital magazines.

Posts 5632
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2012 9:13 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
And only offering the print edition to encourage purchase of it is like Ford only offering cars with tape players because they want to encourage the purchase of them. People are increasingly going away from print and want digital magazines.

Yes

We still get door-to-door magazine sellers (or more likely scammers) once in a while at our house, and I find it amusing that they pick such a low-demand product to offer (printed magazines).  Usually they have a sob story to manipulate you with, and I feel like telling them to come back when they have a product people actually want to buy.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2012 9:27 AM

John D. Barry:
We are currently only offering Bible Study Magazine in print since we want to encourage people to buy the print edition.

History is replete with examples of a company with ownership of two, unequal, competing products and killing off the superior product to foster the survival of the inferior product.   Gateway computers bought & buried Amiga.   etc.

Bible Study Magazine has content worth reading. Why cripple it with "horse & buggy" technology? Or is it not clear to Logos that some people are "old paths" (stuck in the last century) by CHOICE. They will not be transitioning to the new-fangled world of digital books.  

It is nice to hear the target audience of the magazine is a readership new to Bible study. But are the many advertisers who peddle digital products aware of this? Not many newbie Bible students are going to profit from all products advertised, No?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2872
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2012 7:16 PM

If they really want to get new people, then showing up in the Google Play store or on Newstand in iOS would go along way to find the millions who use those products. Still digital, but not in Logos so new people can find it.

I think that BSM is really a very good, very fancy printed advertisement for Logos first and not at all for us. For that reason I believe I will be discontinuing my subscription till it comes digital as I've done for all of my other mags. Its the only influence I have over the decision makers.

Posts 5903
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2012 4:21 AM

John D. Barry:

To answer the earlier question regarding available back issues, all the back issues that are available are listed here: http://www.logos.com/products/search?q=bible+study+magazine

Some issues are out of print, like the Jan-Feb 2009 issue. To help address this, we currently have this print book on pre-pub--as was pointed out earlier--which we're in the midst of creating: http://www.logos.com/product/6305/bible-study-magazine-2008-2009

John I am sorry but I have to agree with others here, its a bad decision to not offer an electronic subscription.  It is easy to misplace a paper copy of a magazine, and then if you want to replace it you have to pay again, if its still available on the back list.  The way Logos 4 works, you can never misplace that edition of BSM from Jan-Feb 2009 and find yourself out in the cold because there are not back copies available.

The choice you are running with means you are putting yourself in a position, as a company where you are going to fail a customer, you are going to disappoint them because they will want a back-copy and you won't be able to supply it.  And you are disappointing existing customers by not offering a digital subscription.

Please offer an electronic subscription, preferably via Logos 4.   It's a win-win, your customers will be happy and you won't potentially be in a position where you are have to disappoint your customers.

You are already disappointing me as an international customer because by the time I get the magazine everybody else read it a month ago, make it electronic, everyone gets in on the same day, you are then in a position to build a faith-life community around the bible study in the magazine because everyone has it at the same time, 

Posts 12160
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2012 4:37 AM

Andrew,

as an international would-be customer of BSM I can only express full support to your post. Thanks for expressing the situation so clearly!

Mick

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 3311
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2012 5:35 AM

I would also prefer a digital version within Logos.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 2872
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2012 4:16 PM

I actually cancelled my sub because of this issue. I will resub when if it ever goes digital.

Posts 44
LogosEmployee
John D. Barry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2012 5:27 PM

Andrew Mckenzie:

You are already disappointing me as an international customer because by the time I get the magazine everybody else read it a month ago, make it electronic, everyone gets in on the same day, you are then in a position to build a faith-life community around the bible study in the magazine because everyone has it at the same time, 

Andrew, what day of the month do you usually receive Bible Study Magazine? Our feedback from other international subscribers has been that it usually arrives before or around the first of the month for them (when it arrives for US customers and on newsstands). (So, the Sept-Oct '12 issue would arrive around September 1st.) If your situation is different, we would certainly like to look into options to correct this. (Unfortunately, customs and shipping options in different countries makes this very difficult, but we will do whatever we can.)

You can also feel free to email me at john@biblestudymagazine.com with more info or further inquiries.

Posts 5903
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2012 10:01 PM

John D. Barry:

Andrew Mckenzie:

Andrew, what day of the month do you usually receive Bible Study Magazine? Our feedback from other international subscribers has been that it usually arrives before or around the first of the month for them (when it arrives for US customers and on newsstands). (So, the Sept-Oct '12 issue would arrive around September 1st.) If your situation is different, we would certainly like to look into options to correct this. (Unfortunately, customs and shipping options in different countries makes this very difficult, but we will do whatever we can.)

You can also feel free to email me at john@biblestudymagazine.com with more info or further inquiries.

I'll take note next time John and let you know next time, but it always seems to be later, and comes to Australia via Germany or somewhere in Europe....maybe the postman is confusing Australia with Austria. 

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2012 10:30 AM

Andrew Mckenzie:

John D. Barry:

Andrew Mckenzie:

I'll take note next time John and let you know next time, but it always seems to be later, and comes to Australia via Germany or somewhere in Europe....maybe the postman is confusing Australia with Austria. 

That's OK, Google keeps thinking I live in Swansea, UK vs Swansea, IL...

Posts 6
Rev.Dr.George H. Guyer III | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 17 2012 4:03 PM

Hello to All!

Boy, I sure have started a great debate in regards to the Bible Study Magazine!  But hey..... all I want to know if someone out there in "LOGOS Land" has possibly the Jan-Feb 2009 and Sept-Oct 2010 Issues of the Bible Study Magazine--- and I would be happy to purchase them and pay for the shipping costs.

Please let me know.  Thanks! (and please continue the discussion concerning the need for digital copies of the magazine!)

In Christ,

Rev. George Guyer

Chaplain at The Pines Chapel Ministry

Whiting, New Jersey

Acts 20:24

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS