Logos Is Too Expensive

Page 21 of 21 (407 items) « First ... < Previous 17 18 19 20 21
This post has 406 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 8:54 AM

Rene Atchley:
which is now a near monopoly

I imagine you read Bob Pritchett's comment in the thread on last man standing in the Bible software marketplace: 

I think of our space as incredibly competitive -- while QuickVerse and BibleWorks and PC Study Bible have faded as competitors, YouVersion, BibleHub, and others have come on strong, and new mobile apps and web sites seem to spring up every month.

People haven't stopped studying the Bible, and they haven't stopped building new tools to help!

The online competition is growing and I think we'd all agree that it will continue to grow. How much that impacts Faithlife and Accordance is to be seen, but I don't think Bob feels he can now sit on his near-monopoly and rest, :)

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 22
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 9:25 AM

Mark Smith:

Rene Atchley:
which is now a near monopoly

I imagine you read Bob Pritchett's comment in the thread on last man standing in the Bible software marketplace: 

I think of our space as incredibly competitive -- while QuickVerse and BibleWorks and PC Study Bible have faded as competitors, YouVersion, BibleHub, and others have come on strong, and new mobile apps and web sites seem to spring up every month.

People haven't stopped studying the Bible, and they haven't stopped building new tools to help!

The online competition is growing and I think we'd all agree that it will continue to grow. How much that impacts Faithlife and Accordance is to be seen, but I don't think Bob feels he can now sit on his near-monopoly and rest, :)

Increased competition by fewer competitors in the traffic lane dominated by Logos....makes sense I suppose.  Of course, as a business, when you have maxed out profitability and market share the best way to acquire new market share is to buy it...i.e. Standard Oil and U.S. Steel and early Ford.  Indeed FL won't on the Silver Mountain when there is more money to be made, or bought, in the market place.

Posts 18663
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 10:15 AM

Rene Atchley:
Now I have to spend several hours trying to figure out how to use this beast for my increased comfort...as opposed to just opening up WS and using it...there's a lesson for the elves at FL.

FL response => Free Webinar at 2 PT Today

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4112
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 10:21 AM

Honestly, I can say thats not true.

You can see from my signature line that I've bought into the logos system pretty heavily. Tens of thousands of dollars.

Yet, I've average less than a dollar a title (I track it in a spreadsheet its exactly $.87, that includes things like nicot/nt that were quite pricey. so if you watch the sales, if you get the free books, if you take advantage of good deals on base packages, you can do quite well.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 889
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 10:52 AM

abondservant:

You can see from my signature line that I've bought into the logos system pretty heavily. Tens of thousands of dollars.

Yet, I've average less than a dollar a title (I track it in a spreadsheet its exactly $.87, that includes things like nicot/nt that were quite pricey. so if you watch the sales, if you get the free books, if you take advantage of good deals on base packages, you can do quite well.

Indeed. In my case, with the exception of needing to spend down in July, my library accumulations were done largely through years of watching and waiting for sales of dynamically priced items.

It's not perfect of course. Sometimes items feel a bit over the top, price-wise (which is rough if you need resource X right now), and I imagine the people joining us from WordSearch are in a different situation as they wait for things to get sorted.

And of course, I might be singing a different tune when Logos 9 comes out Wink

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Diamond

Posts 15
Gerald | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 11:06 AM

I am also amazed that FaithLife has a web page which matches up all of my WordSearch titles with my login. I think FaithLife staff working on this has made a very smooth transition. Thanks FaithLife.

Posts 4112
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 11:16 AM

David Wanat:

abondservant:

Indeed. In my case, with the exception of needing to spend down in July, my library accumulations were done largely through years of watching and waiting for sales of dynamically priced items.

It's not perfect of course. Sometimes items feel a bit over the top, price-wise (which is rough if you need resource X right now), and I imagine the people joining us from WordSearch are in a different situation as they wait for things to get sorted.

And of course, I might be singing a different tune when Logos 9 comes out Wink

Oh I agree. Seminary had me buying 50 and 100$ titles. That stung quite a bit.

But on the whole, at the end of it, my average book price has been quite reasonable over the years. Between Journal Bundles on prepub (I think Logos has more of those than WS), Base packages, Pre pub, and community pricing, or march madness, or the 3-4 free books they give out each month, or any of the other regular sales they have Logos books have been quite reasonable. On balance.

That made the sting of the NICOT/NT set a little easier.

The best commentaries sale is one that I like as well. Targeted, and on sale :)

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Page 21 of 21 (407 items) « First ... < Previous 17 18 19 20 21 | RSS