Inductive Highlighting: for the Old Testament

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 34
Douglas R Koch | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 1 2012 12:39 PM

I have inductive highlighting symbols for the New Testament already. Unfortunately I do not remember how I activated them. But the issue I am interested in now is that the symbols are not available on the Old Testament. The symbols appear on the New Testament automatically. How do I get them to appear in the Old Testament. That is the problem I am hoping to solve.

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2012 1:41 PM

Just to clarify, Have you previously highlighted text in OT and this is now not visible?

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2012 1:48 PM

Hi Douglas,

I am a bit uncertain to what you are referring to. Highlighting (including the Inductive) is a style that the user applies themself, it's not automatic. Also there is just an Inductive style highlighting palette, its not separate for the OT or NT (unless you created a custom one). Unless what you are referring to is a visual filter where you used the Inductive style. A visual filter is applied to a search, either a word, morphology, or both. They can use the highlighting styles.

If you are referring to the highlighting style in the Tools >> Highlighting menu, you open your Bible to the OT passage you want marked, open the highlighting palette (Tools >> Highlighting) up. Select the Bible text you want marked, click on the desired style from the inductive palette.

Blessings in your study!

Posts 34
Douglas R Koch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2012 2:18 PM

Now I am confused. The pallette has an iductive category to it. These inductive categories are applied automatically to the NT but not the OT. I do not know why. And I do not know how to rectify the problem. If you make a new pallete, which I started, it is not clear to me how to designate either OT or NT. So I did not complete the new pallete (I tried this after posting). I am not sure what to do.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2012 3:37 PM

Highlights can be applied to the text in a couple of different way. The first is manually marking up the text. If things are automatically then you have a search being performed by a Visual Filter which is applying the inductive styles to the text. You can see what the title of the Visual filter is by using the Tri-circle button in the resource. Chances are the Visual Filter uses a Greek or Louw-Nida search which wouldn't apply to the Old Testament.

EDIT: a Visual filter can apply any highlight style whether or not Inductive.

Posts 27649
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2012 3:43 PM

I'm going to hazard a guess as to what you have done. (see http://community.logos.com/forums/p/25573/189142.aspx#189142)

1. Check your visual filters. Do you have one that matches inductive symbols to Greek words?
  2. Solution: Build a similar visual filter based on Hebrew words.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 6 2012 4:25 AM

Douglas R Koch:
These inductive categories are applied automatically to the NT but not the OT. I do not know why. And I do not know how to rectify the problem.

Welcome Big Smile

In a resource that is showing inductive highlights, one option is clicking three circles for a menu that shows highlighting and visual filters.  Uncheck items to cause inductive highlighting to disappear, then confirm item has inductive by checking item to redisplay.  Caveat: may take awhile for inductive highlighting to disappear or appear.

Recently used this technique to isolate which visual filter was highlighting a particular word.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS