BUG: adding a new note - extra clicks needed

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 6 2012 4:57 AM

I posted about this before, don't remember this addressed though.

When I add a note to a reference via a right click, a note icon appears and the note file is opened but NOT to the new note.  I have to click on the note icon to go to the right place. Subsequent note additions open the notefile to correct places right away.

Posts 3183
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 7 2012 12:59 PM

toughski:

I posted about this before, don't remember this addressed though.

When I add a note to a reference via a right click, a note icon appears and the note file is opened but NOT to the new note.  I have to click on the note icon to go to the right place. Subsequent note additions open the notefile to correct places right away.

(Emphasis mine)

Hi toughski,

Can you clarify, perhaps with an annotated screenshot, what you mean regarding the bolded text above? 

When I add a note in the way you describe, the note file opens, and the focus is sent to the content bar below where the citation/truncated cited text is located. 

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 7 2012 8:19 PM

IF the notefile is not in focus (ie working with several notefiles at once) AND this is the first note added today, then the notefile (in this case "Whole Bible Commentary") opens, but to the very beginning, NOT to the note just created.

When I add a second note to an already opened notefile, notefile has correct focus. This only happens with the first note.

Posts 3183
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 9:28 AM

Hello toughski,

I'm not able to reproduce the behavior you describe. I'm going to contact you offline. 

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 10:00 AM

Tommy Ball:

Hello toughski,

I'm not able to reproduce the behavior you describe. I'm going to contact you offline. 

For what it's worth, I have had the same issue for a long, long time. It seems to work as expected in 4.6b2.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 3:04 AM

Thanks, Tommy. My email address should be on file. However, I will be offline for a few days - going to a funeral of a family member.

Posts 3183
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2012 11:50 AM

toughski:

Thanks, Tommy. My email address should be on file. However, I will be offline for a few days - going to a funeral of a family member.

I'm sorry for your loss. Contact me whenever it is convenient for you. 

Posts 3183
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2012 11:52 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

Tommy Ball:

Hello toughski,

For what it's worth, I have had the same issue for a long, long time. It seems to work as expected in 4.6b2.

Thank's Richard. Perhaps if I can't find a resolution with Toughski, we can see if the 4.6 causes the behavior to mimic what is expected by Toughski. 

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2012 12:43 PM

I noticed this behaviour as well earlier today.

Tommy Ball:
the note file opens, and the focus is sent to the content bar below where the citation/truncated cited text is located. 

True, it got 'focus', but it was well below the screen and required careful scrolling to find.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3183
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2012 2:57 PM

fgh:

I noticed this behaviour as well earlier today.

Tommy Ball:
the note file opens, and the focus is sent to the content bar below where the citation/truncated cited text is located. 

True, it got 'focus', but it was well below the screen and required careful scrolling to find.

Does this typically happen when the note file has a lot of entries? I don't' have any notes with many entries which might be why I am having problems reproducing it. 

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2012 4:01 PM

Tommy Ball:
Does this typically happen when the note file has a lot of entries?

I don't know what you mean by "a lot", but obviously it has to have enough notes for the new one to be created below the screen. If all notes are visible at once you can't very well know whether the file has 'technically' opened to the beginning or to the new note. It would look exactly the same. The same goes if you e g have the file sorted by reference and add the new note to Gen 1:1, making it automatically turn up on the first 'page'.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 501
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 15 2012 2:28 AM

Hi, this has been noted before (excuse the pun!): http://community.logos.com/forums/t/11795.aspx as well as in the comments at http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/1619077-rework-notes-function-in-one-or-multiple-phases?ref=title as well as in a few other places that I can't find on a quick search of the forum. 

However, there are limitations as to when the problem occurs.  It will not appear: (i) if the note file is small and all notes are visible at the same time, or adding the note positions it sufficiently near the top of the note file where the note can be seen on first click, even if the focus is not on that particular note; (ii) if the note file has already been accessed since launching Logos 4, where subsequent navigation will go directly to the chosen note. 

These limitations on experiencing the problem are because, as someone posted in a previous post somewhere, and as toughski shows above, on first access of the note file since launching the program it defaults to showing the first notes at the top of the note file.  This may explain why some people report that they either cannot reproduce the problem, or that they perceive it to be fixed.  My experience, using up to Logos Bible Software 4.5c SR-4 (4.53.0.2299), is that the problem persists, within the limitations described. 

The workaround when the problem occurs is: (i) for existing notes to click not just once, but to go back to the original resource that the note is being added to, and click again on the note icon, and (ii) for new notes to go back to the original resource that the note is being added to, wait until the new note icon appears, and click on it, as described in the original post.

Posts 3183
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 5:05 PM

If possible I think I'm going to have to assist someone in a more individual fashion about this. I tried to reproduce in the context of a note file that has a great many notes in it, and was unable to reproduce the behavior. 

If the behavior persists post-4.6 launch can  I have a volunteer who I can contact about this individually? My hope is that if we get all the info for one and can reproduce it we can fix it for all. 

Posts 501
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 12:05 AM

Tommy Ball:
If the behavior persists post-4.6 launch can  I have a volunteer who I can contact about this individually?

I can add my name to the list for that - although I'm in Ireland with reduced overlap of working hours due to the time zone difference.

Posts 3183
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 8:58 AM

John Duffy:

Tommy Ball:
If the behavior persists post-4.6 launch can  I have a volunteer who I can contact about this individually?

I can add my name to the list for that - although I'm in Ireland with reduced overlap of working hours due to the time zone difference.

I get in at 8am and can call you after that point if the behavior persists into 4.6. Just re-post that the behavior is indeed continuing, and we'll work out a date/time.

Posts 501
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 9:07 AM

Tommy Ball:
I get in at 8am and can call you after that point if the behavior persists into 4.6. Just re-post that the behavior is indeed continuing, and we'll work out a date/time.

That's great - I'll let you the status after 4.6, and we can arrange something then, if needed.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2012 1:59 PM

John Duffy:
I'll let you the status after 4.6, and we can arrange something then, if needed.

John, have you downloaded the RC and checked? If the problem persists, it would be much better to find out sooner rather than later.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 501
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2012 2:11 PM

fgh:
John, have you downloaded the RC and checked? If the problem persists, it would be much better to find out sooner rather than later.

Hi, I'm setting up a new PC at the minute, but it seems to be downloading something from Logos too - I'll check asap and report back...

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2012 2:35 PM

Yeah, they just released the 'real' 4.6, pretty exactly when I was writing the above, it seems. I've never seen them go from RC to gold in one day before!

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 501
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2012 2:39 PM

fgh:
Yeah, they just released the 'real' 4.6, pretty exactly when I was writing the above, it seems. I've never seen them go from RC to gold in one day before!

I've tried "Update now", but there are no updates available.  I'll keep trying as it may roll out over time to different locations(?).

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS