LOGOS GOT IT WRONG!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 927
P A | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 8 2012 11:33 AM

On the Pre-pub page for the NEW ENGLISH BIBLE (1970) there is an error!

Key Features

• Complete Old and New Testament edition, with the Apocrypha
  • Direct translation from Latin and Greek texts
  • Written in clear, natural English
  • Single column format, with notes and annotations

The Old Testament was translated from Hebrew! I hope Logos correct this error because people could be put off from buying if they think it was translated  from latin.

Here is the link

http://www.logos.com/product/24552/the-new-english-bible-with-the-apocrypha

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 11:55 AM

If I remember right, parts of the apocrypha are from the latin?

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 40
LogosEmployee
Jani Snell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 11:58 AM

Thanks for catching that for us! The Latin text was referring to 2 Esdras in the Apocrypha. The copy should have included Hebrew and Aramaic texts as well. It's updated now!

Posts 2768
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 12:02 PM

I don’t know about the New English Bible of 1970 but The DOUAY OLD TESTAMENT of Anno Domini 1610 was translated from the Latin Vulgate.  At the time many scholars thought that the Latin text was better than the Hebrew text as Better Hebrew texts that had been used to translate the Vulgate around 400 were then lost prior by 1610.

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 7:21 PM

Logos makes mistakes… we all do… as for the latin texts  they get referenced often in the same way translators of the Hebrew will take a look at all old manuscript traditions like the Septuagint and any old translation to get a sense what the author was saying,  I know it is frustrating when one of the items we like is mislabelled (heck there were numerous omissions and mistakes that have been finally corrected on the  New Interpreter's Bible (12 vols.)). I love that more diverse works are being offered… just hope they can be brought to production point. I mean NIB is considered one of the top commentaries and the core of many mainstream churches recommendations, but it still is at the gathering interest stage.

-dan

Posts 927
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 1:51 PM

Logos got it right!Yes

Thank youYes

The link to NEW ENGLISH BIBLE 1970 (NEB)

http://www.logos.com/product/24552/the-new-english-bible-with-the-apocrypha

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS