Oxford Bible Commentary (OBC) Updated to Logos4 Format

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 155
Fred | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 13 2012 2:44 PM

I was quite surprised, and I am ~very~ pleased, to note that Logos just updated the Oxford Bible Commentary in my Logos4 installation, and that a new resource with the file name of "oxbibcom.logos4" now resides on my hard drive.  Furthermore, within Logos4, the resource now is detected as a "Commentary" (and not as a "Monograph").  I am very impressed that Logos would take the time to update this old Logos2 (I think) resource.

Thank you very much, Logos.  Smile

Fred

Posts 58
Rusty Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 14 2012 3:53 PM

I had not noticed, glad you pointed it out. Thanks for doing so. I, too, am impressed that they would update it.

Posts 1028
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 15 2012 6:07 AM

Fred:
I was quite surprised, and I am ~very~ pleased, to note that Logos just updated the Oxford Bible Commentary in my Logos4 installation

Can you provide a link to the product page for this resource on the Logos web site? I couldn't find a resource with the specific phrase "Oxford Bible Commentary" in the title.

Thanks,

Donnie

Posts 7680
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 15 2012 6:17 AM

Donnie Hale:
Can you provide a link to the product page for this resource on the Logos web site? I couldn't find a resource with the specific phrase "Oxford Bible Commentary" in the title.

It hasn't been sold for a long time.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Mini late 2010 8GB RAM 10.6.8

Posts 5539
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 15 2012 6:38 AM

For those not familiar, Oxford, in terms of its 'flavor', would likely be the small version of Interpreters. Although it puts what some might call 'liberal' data on the table, it doesn't go wild. Personally I think it's a little more stable than Word, less liberal than Hermeneia, but not as in-depth as New Jerome (as a 1-volume).

I have all three 1-volumes (Interpreters (older), Jerome, and Oxford). Of the three, New Jerome is head and shoulders above the other two (again as a 1-volume).

I know this thread is 'Oxford' but I doubt that's do-able given the publisher. New Jerome along with the updated Interpreters currently on pre-pub would REALLY be a good addition to Logos.

This is obviously just opinion, but New Jerome handles a lot of the archaeological and manuscript data with considerably more finesse than some of the recent evangelical entries (both conservative).

Posts 155
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 15 2012 6:42 AM

fgh:

Donnie Hale:

It hasn't been sold for a long time.

Yes, unfortunately (I think), as fgh said, it's no longer available.  I have it from a Logos2 CD, but it was never offered in Logos3 (Libronix) format, as far as I know.  While it worked fine in Logos3, it was fussy to get it to work in Logos4, and then only as a "monograph".  So, it was a very pleasant surprise that Logos took the time to update it for Logos4.  (I happen to like the OBC a lot.)  Perhaps it may eventually be re-released as a new resource for Logos4...  :-)

Fred

Posts 155
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 15 2012 2:45 PM

DMB:

For those not familiar, Oxford, in terms of its 'flavor', would likely be the small version of Interpreters. Although it puts what some might call 'liberal' data on the table, it doesn't go wild. Personally I think it's a little more stable than Word, less liberal than Hermeneia, but not as in-depth as New Jerome (as a 1-volume).

I have all three 1-volumes (Interpreters (older), Jerome, and Oxford). Of the three, New Jerome is head and shoulders above the other two (again as a 1-volume).

I know this thread is 'Oxford' but I doubt that's do-able given the publisher. New Jerome along with the updated Interpreters currently on pre-pub would REALLY be a good addition to Logos.

This is obviously just opinion, but New Jerome handles a lot of the archaeological and manuscript data with considerably more finesse than some of the recent evangelical entries (both conservative).

1.  I have, in paperback editions, the three 1-volume commentaries you mention.  However, my level of understanding does not equip me to be able to make a comparison with nuance.  Embarrassed 2.  In my defense, however, because of Logos, I am less likely nowadays to flip through pages of hard copies, unfortunately.  Wink 3.  Of course, for anyone interested in the NIB Commentary, the 12-volume Logos version ( http://www.logos.com/product/8803/new-interpreters-bible ) is now available as a pre-pub, as is the 5-volume NIB Dictionary ( http://www.logos.com/product/8801/new-interpreters-dictionary-of-the-bible ).

Fred

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS