Why so many applications?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5
Kevin Stock | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 17 2012 7:58 AM

I have an Android tablet, and installed the Logos Bible application. Then there's Vyrso, Biblio and now Faithlife. They all seem to do much the same thing, they all allow acces to the same set of books, but... if I download a book for one of them, they don't share it!

Why the duplication?Why not offer a single application, perhaps with different display modes?

Posts 8648
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 17 2012 8:17 AM

All the applications fill different purposes.

1. Vyrso - is primarily a reader. In it you can read (and now highlight and annotate) your resources.  The Vyrso brand is not geared toward study in particular though study resources are available via vyrso.
  2. Bible - is the Logos Bible software for your device. It includes everything that Vyrso has for example but adds the Bible Word Studies and a few other study specific items not found in Vyrso.
  3. Biblia (the software, not the website) is the Bible app in spanish.
  4. Faithlife - is built around and for the faithlife study bible in particular and the website by the same name. It has the social features but not the bible word study features.

All four are separate programs which share separate datastores.

That said, I agree. The fragmentation is less than preferable on one side. On the other however, I am making use of it. 

I use Vyrso for reading whatever it is I'm on at the moment. 

I use Bible for some level of portable logos based Bible study.

I use faithlife for beta testing. :-)

I don't use biblia, though I had installed it once before figuring out that I do not speak spanish. (Well i knew that but biblia proved that I can't read it either.)

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 5
Kevin Stock | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 11:45 PM

Thanks for this reply; it corresponds to what I thought (except that I hadn't realised Biblia was in Spanish; I assumed it was like the web site).

There are some strange things, though. For example, to obtain the free licence for the FaithLife Study Bible, I had to install the FaithLife application. Having done so, I was able to uninstall it and read the Study Bible in the Bible application.

Surely it would be simpler for everyone (users and developpers) if there was a single app (and so no more multiple copies of the books) with the type of interface as a parameter.

Posts 29758
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2012 12:19 AM

Kevin Stock:
I had to install the FaithLife application.

Interesting - I've never installed anything beside Logos 4 and the Android app (Kindle version)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS