List of New Testament Commands

Page 1 of 4 (72 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 71 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1125
Rick | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 18 2012 11:45 AM

In a small group Bible study we are getting ready to discuss all of the new testament commands. I was hoping to have a book that listed all of the commands given by Christ and then the commandments given by the Apostles. I have done a search of my library for the word "commands" in large text, topic and heading text. Most returns dealt with the Ten Commandments or had obvious omissions.

Does anyone know of a list like this in Logos? The best that I have come up with thus far are: (1) Curiosities of the Bible Pertaining to Scripture Persons, Places and Things: What Christians Should Be. (2) New Nave's Topical Bible: Commandments. (3) Willmington's Book of Bile Lists: Command's to Believers.

Would you agree that these resources are a comprehensive list once went through?

I truly appreciate your help on this. I have Scholar's Silver, eBible (I think the largest package) and some extra add on's.

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 3314
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2012 12:28 PM

Our Pastor has been  preaching on the Sermon on the Mount from Matthew. Many are familiar that these are referred to as the 'Be attitudes'. Jesus' sermon here could be understood as commands. Within that discourse we find many things that Jesus is teaching about being part of the kingdom of God: Salt & Light, He did not come to abolish the law but fulfill it (the Pastor had an interesting point on Mt 5:20 and our righteousness; bottom line was that we needed Jesus' Righteousness as ours is insufficient).

Just thought this might not show up in your search and seemed relevant to Jesus' commands to us.

QLinks, Bibl2, Reporter, Macros
Dell Insp 1720
Core 2 Duo, 1.6 G, 4G RAM, Vista

Posts 85
Donn Arms | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2012 12:41 PM

This is a book that needs to be written. In some circles it is being taught that to focus on obedience is a form of legalism. Instead, we should simply meditate on the Gospel and sanctification will take place automatically. It is an old heresy that continues to recirculate.

If you will write this book I will buy a copy!

Posts 1125
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2012 1:06 PM

Thanks for the responses. I think that they confirmed my hunch that a book dedicated to this subject was not available in Logos..

My lists do include Matthew 5 Thanks for the heads-up and your thoughts.

I don't think that I am at the level of writing a book but I sure wish that someone would and maybe add a little commentary to start discussion on each topic. Yes

Peace  Smile

Posts 14187
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2012 1:31 PM

Have you done a search of imperative verbs on the words of Jesus?

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1125
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2012 2:08 PM

MJ. Smith:

I have done a search for imperative verbs but did not know you could limit them to the words of Jesus.

There are a ton of imperatives in the New testament Smile

I'll go back and take a look at that now. Thanks!

Peace  Smile

Posts 1125
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2012 2:09 PM

Found how to do it. Thanks MJ!

Edit: Well, I thought that I found how to do it but keep getting zero results. Will find a tutorial.  Yes

Peace  Smile

Posts 5337
Forum MVP
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2012 5:50 PM

Rick:

Edit: Well, I thought that I found how to do it but keep getting zero results. Will find a tutorial.  Yes

I suspect I know what you're attempting to do and unfortunately the search doesn't work quite that way. Searching the Words of Christ will only work for English, not Greek-level searches. A work-around is to use a passage list of the verses that contain the words of Christ (see: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/16724/126565.aspx ) and then use it to limit an imperative verb search.  Let me know if you'd like me to draw up some more detailed instructions, but I think you'll be able to figure it out.

Posts 875
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2012 6:19 PM

Rick:

A number of years ago, I did a comprehensive study but in time, the file became corrupted and I lost the data. However, it was far from perfect. I did go the route of imperatives but it is a limited shortcut. It all depends on how a commandment is defined. For instance, the incident with the poor widow is clearly provided as an exhortation to sacrificial generosity and devotion to the Lord, but it is not couched in the form of an imperative.

There are many other examples. I suppose that what you are looking for is a comprehensive list what can be considered as mandates for disciples of Jesus? I commend such a search.

If it is of any use to you, I can tell you that I had arrived at the following conclusion: there are very few actually quantifiable or specific practices (eg, intercession, evangelism, helping the poor). Many are broader and applicable in a variety of situations that are not quantifiable (eg, love your neighbour as yourself). It's not something where you can say "do I love my neighbour enough?". And the application and maturation is lifelong and endless.

In addition to practices, there are many virtues, attitudes and behaviours (eg, patience, longsuffering, mercy, etc). These involve long term and ongoing character development in Christ-likeness. You can even progress and then regress and then progress again and then regress again (eg, self-control, faith, hope, joy).

These are all the will of God for the disciple but cannot be limited to the concept of commandment.

There are some resources that could get you started. One is Willmington's book of lists. It does have a section of 127 commandments to believers all from the NT. Another that can be used for the purposes of such a study is "Every Teaching of Jesus in the Bible" though of course it does not cover the whole NT. Nave's has also a long list of references under "commandments". 

Blessings in your study!

Posts 579
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2012 6:19 PM

Rick:

Rick, I would begin by doing a morph search for @V??M????. From there you can make this into a visual filter which will allow you to see them in context as you are reading your Bible. Note, however, that commands are not always Greek imperatives. For instance, Matt 5:34 doesn't have an imperative, but it is clearly a command.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 13123
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 6:22 AM

Gary O'Neal:
Rick, I would begin by doing a morph search for @V??M????. From there you can make this into a visual filter which will allow you to see them in context as you are reading your Bible. Note, however, that commands are not always Greek imperatives. For instance, Matt 5:34 doesn't have an imperative, but it is clearly a command.

Along with searching for verbs in the imperative mood @V??M (finds 7 uses in Matt 6:9-13), suggest searching for command with match all word forms, which includes John 13:35

Searching for "I say to you" finds much to ponder.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2946
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 6:32 AM

Rick:

In a small group Bible study we are getting ready to discuss all of the new testament commands. I was hoping to have a book that listed all of the commands given by Christ and then the commandments given by the Apostles. I have done a search of my library for the word "commands" in large text, topic and heading text. Most returns dealt with the Ten Commandments or had obvious omissions.

Does anyone know of a list like this in Logos? The best that I have come up with thus far are: (1) Curiosities of the Bible Pertaining to Scripture Persons, Places and Things: What Christians Should Be. (2) New Nave's Topical Bible: Commandments. (3) Willmington's Book of Bile Lists: Command's to Believers.

Would you agree that these resources are a comprehensive list once went through?

I truly appreciate your help on this. I have Scholar's Silver, eBible (I think the largest package) and some extra add on's.

IMHO, there are two commands.

Mat 22: 37b - 40: 37b You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.” 38This is the greatest and first commandment. 39And a second is like it: “You shall love your neighbour as yourself.” 40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 6:35 AM

tom collinge:

Mat 22: 37b - 40: 37b You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.” 38This is the greatest and first commandment. 39And a second is like it: “You shall love your neighbour as yourself.” 40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

That's it, Tom! Big Smile

Posts 43
Peter Covert | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 6:38 AM

tom collinge:

“Being a Christan is less about cautiously avoiding sin than about courageously and actively doing God's will.”

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Posts 875
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 7:53 AM

Danny Baskin:

The Lord did not say there were only two commandments but that these two are the first and the second. I agree that they are fundamental and preminent. However, if we only had them, we would lack a lot of content to what it means to do either one. It would be left to anyone's guess to know what is the best way to love God or our neighbour. Even love itself needs definition. The many other commandments help flesh out in practice what it means to put these two into practice. This is why the biblical authors -- even in the NT -- were not redundant when they detailed many of these commandments and exhortations. 

Moreover, there is the specialized application of the second commandment which is also the commandment of Jesus: love one another. 

Posts 875
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 7:59 AM

Peter Covert:

“Being a Christan is less about cautiously avoiding sin than about courageously and actively doing God's will.”

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Being a Christian is less about adopting principles formulated by well-meaning but not canonical people and more about following what the Bible actually says. 

In this case, with all due respect to Bonhoeffer for whom I have great respect, there is no need to lessen the importance of caution with regard to disobedience versus that courage in obedience when the Bible -- that is God Himself -- stresses both. 

Blessings.

Posts 657
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 8:15 AM

Francis:
there is no need to lessen the importance of caution with regard to disobedience versus that courage in obedience when the Bible -- that is God Himself -- stresses both.

Well said.

Posts 657
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 8:26 AM

As I think about this thread, it seems that we could use this as a test case for working together on a project toward a result we could all use.

In the end someone could post a "final" Passage List of scriptures as a *docx file which we could all download and use to compile a Personal Book. Logos' tools enable us to do this.

1. Doing a morph search on imperatives does omit a number of commands,
  2. I like: KS4J's "I say to you" search.
  3. Maybe searching on the word "do" would yield more results to add top a Passage List.
  4. There may be some other scriptures too
Posts 875
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 8:42 AM

Ron, the problem is that searching for imperatives includes also numerous irrelevant results (all the imperatives in narratives that are not commands for all believers). 

I think that your idea is interesting, akin to what a wiki does. In the present case, as I mentioned before, there is important work to be put into defining the criteria for selecting something as a mandate for believers. Do we include implicit mandates (found in parables, positive and negative examples, etc)? Some of these defy any particular set of grammatical markers. As one who has done the study in the past and more than once, I know that the criteria deal is extremely important or it leads to mess and frustration. As far as tagging the passages, I concluded that there is no way to avoid combing through all the passages systematically. 

Still, if a team agreed to work together and criteria were clearly defined and agreed on, we could take different part of the NT so as to lessen the load. 

These projects are very interesting and profitable but often daunting when undertaken alone. One solution I have adopted is progressive passage lists. I know topics I want to study comprehensively and as I read and do other projects, I keep adding to corresponding passage lists references I find. This of course can take several years. I have one going on election for instance. I have also tagged many passages on evangelism, discipleship, etc.

Perhaps others have developed other tools or methods they have found effective?

Posts 22
David Betts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 9:33 AM

On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets...

The first four of The TEN Commandments tell us how to love our Eternal Father YHWH.

The remaining six tell us how to love our neighbor as our self.

The (re)New(ed) Covenant gives further insight and revelation to the Covenant to Abraham, the Father of Faith.

In Ps 119, rather than just "Law" or "Commands," there are also instructions, judgments, and precepts. Perhaps we could widen our perspective from just "commands." Just a thought.

I have a list of roughly 800 Scriptures from the Apostolic Writings [New Covenant] - if interested you can email me <shofarout  at  g mail  dot  com> delete spaces. It is a 19 page Word document which can be built into a Personal Book for use in Logos.

Otherwise, one could do a web search for "new covenant commands," with variations.

Let us remember that "The Law" was written by the Finger of YHWH on stone tablets (because of our stoney hearts). In the (re)New(ed) Covenant by faith in Messiah we have a new heart, and His Law is written on our hearts. Je 31:31-33.

Grace is how Father shows His Love for us; obedience to The Word is how we show our love for Him.

Page 1 of 4 (72 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS