Parallel Commentaries View

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 33
Jimmy Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 22 2012 1:23 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

It would be great if I could be able to see Parallel Commentaries View the way may Bible programs let you use Parallel Bibles View. 

Here is my idea:

1.      Using passage guide you put in your scripture reference and select Go.

2.       After commentaries load, chose five or six commentaries you wish to examine.

3.       Next, right click on one of the commentaries that are opened in tabs.

4.       Right now there are six choices listed after right click.

a.       Open in a floating window

b.      Open all in a floating window

c.       Open a copy in a new tab

d.      Close this tab

e.      Close other tabs

f.        Close all tabs

5.       Here is where I would like to see one more choice that reads Open all in parallel view.

6.       As it is now there is a lot of switching between commentaries that could be eliminated if part of your screen or another screen could be designated for a Parallel Commentaries View.

Posts 25825
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2012 7:05 PM

Jimmy Smith:
    As it is now there is a lot of switching between commentaries that could be eliminated if part of your screen or another screen could be designated for a Parallel Commentaries View.

It's commendable but commentaries are not as amenable to a parallel view as bibles are:

• they are not committed to more or less the same text as bibles; differences in length will be an issue
  • different versification is an enemy of parallelism  e.g. one has v1-7 as an article, the other has articles for v1-5 and v6-10
  • the primary article can be difficult to locate in the individual commentary due to multiple milestones i.e. commentaries often have a Heading (e.g. 21:1-22:5) + overviews for a passage (21:1-27) and then different articles for the verses (21:2-4) e.g. EBC on Revelation.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2012 8:41 PM

Dave Hooton:

It's commendable but commentaries are not as amenable to a parallel view as bibles are:

• they are not committed to more or less the same text as bibles; differences in length will be an issue
  • different versification is an enemy of parallelism  e.g. one has v1-7 as an article, the other has articles for v1-5 and v6-10
  • the primary article can be difficult to locate in the individual commentary due to multiple milestones i.e. commentaries often have a Heading (e.g. 21:1-22:5) + overviews for a passage (21:1-27) and then different articles for the verses (21:2-4) e.g. EBC on Revelation.

Very true, this would likely confuse Logos 4.

Posts 11070
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2012 10:07 PM

I REALLY like this idea. And fairly easy to implement.  Would be great for commentaries, lexicons, apparatus, grammars. Actually the reason it'd be good is due to Logos4's nutty resource opening (pop-a-top and see where it lands). I'm always reluctant to use the guides for that reason (Logos4 only of course).

The other day I thought I'd try out the notes due to George promising they were pretty fixed up and spiffy. Was I surprised or what. I was on window #3, I right-clicked to create a note and pop-a-top and sure as the sun comes up in the morning, it opened the notes panel on window #1. Gosh this software is just the best.

Well, anyway, still a good idea.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS