Modifying and Saving Syntax Searches

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 47
Mark Futato | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 20 2009 9:32 AM

Is there a way to open a previous search, modify it, and save it under a new name without overwriting the initial search? When I open, modify, and rename, I am loosing the initial search from my list of searches.

Posts 3314
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 9:38 AM

Mark,

you might try using a Google search with the following text below to see other posts on this forum which discussed syntax search.

"syntax search" site:community.logos.com/forums/t

QLinks, Bibl2, Reporter, Macros
Dell Insp 1720
Core 2 Duo, 1.6 G, 4G RAM, Vista

Posts 407
davidphillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 9:53 AM

Mark,

Here's a way to do what you want. Open the Syntax Search you want to modify.

Click on the "plus" sign next to it.

Click "Syntax Search"

In the "Previous Searches" section, click on the same search.

Now modify the search and change the name.

Posts 715
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 9:56 AM

MarkDFutato:

Is there a way to open a previous search, modify it, and save it under a new name without overwriting the initial search? When I open, modify, and rename, I am loosing the initial search from my list of searches.

Mark,

If I follow what you are saying, I think you may be modifying templates rather than the search. In syntax searches there are saved searches (history really) listed by date when you click the "query" button. In the other searches the saved searches are listed when you click the little triangle at the end of the search box.

When you talk of naming, that sounds like templates. (which is only in syntax searches)

When I click on the "query" button I get a list of the history on the right and templates on the left and "new syntax search" at the bottom. Click on "new syntax search" and I get a dialog box. In it, I get a list of the stock templates and previous templates I've created: I have several that I didn't name and each one is simply "untitle syntax search #" with the # being a number. Never do I "lose" them they just get re-numbered. I took one I had with a saved name and altered it, then renamed it and closed the dialog. Re-opening it, I have the new one at the top of the list, but the original one is still there.

Here's a couple of screen shots:

Syntax screen showing Query button, History (gotta love free hand writing) and "New syntax search" button.

Syntax dialog screen: Arrow beside editting template and original template. Also shows the various numbered, un-named but altered templates.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Posts 47
Mark Futato | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 2:06 PM

Thanks, David. Works for me.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS