NICOT/NT Sale vs. Baker Pre-Pub

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2085
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 24 2012 10:23 AM

I have the Baker set reserved on Pre-Pub for $999.99.  Now the NICOT/NT is on sale for about the same, and I don't know which one to go with.  I can't get them both.  I figure that the commentaries will go on sale again, but I will never get the deal on the Baker books that is available now, assuming they break them up after the Pre-Pub period ends.

I have a good amount of commentaries, including NAC, WBC, Socio-Rhetorical, Hermeneia, NIVAC NT, Baker Exegetical, NIGTC, but I have always liked the NICOT/NT.

I like the works in the Baker set, and I think that they would add a lot to my library.

I know the sets are completely different, but what would you do and why?

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 11:01 AM

Joseph, just to give you something else to consider, the sale price for NICOT / NICNT in this "back to school" sale is very good.  I bought this set last Christmas - using the academic discount price - and I still paid about $200 more than this current sale price.  Yes, NICOT / NICNT will go on sale again, but I don't know how soon we will see it again at a price this low!

Posts 2843
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2012 10:18 PM

No one can make such a decision for someone else.  But for me it would be the NICOt/NT hands down 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2085
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 9:41 AM

Thanks for the comments!  I talked to a rep and he said that if I go ahead and get the NIC set, and I don't have the money to pay for the Baker set when it comes out (or don't want to put it on my payment plan), then they will hold the Pre-Pub price for me for a time, so that I don't miss out.  He said that this is only available for those who ordered during the Pre-Pub, as obviously you can't go back and ask for the Pre-Pub price after it ships if you didn't get in on it during the Pre-Pub period.  I will have to think about it, but I really want the set.

My biggest problem is that they just put Hermeneia on sale, which I took advantage of, and now they put the NIC set on sale right after.  My payment plan is starting to get out of hand!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2976
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 10:35 AM

The NICOT/NT has been one of the best purchases I have made. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 10:43 AM

Jacob Hantla:

+1 Yes

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 10:51 AM

deleted as not applicable

Posts 2085
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 11:40 AM

I'm sorry.  I should have been more specific.  By Baker Pre-Pub, I was talking about:

Baker Academic Biblical Studies Bundle (86 vols.)

The two compare only in the fact that they are similarly priced.  I was able to get in on the Pre-Pub at $999.99.

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2012 1:40 PM

Joseph,

As you probably know, many trusted conservative pastors and professors like the NIC volumes.  Reviewers characterize the authors' theology as Evangelical or Evangelical/critical (Ref. Glynn's commentary and reference survey).

My observations as a layman are based on sampling a number a number of the well regarded NICNT volumes as I was doing personal study: Fee on I Corinthians, Morris on John, Bruce on Acts, and a few others in the NT.  While I like these authors, I didn't' find their contributions in the NIC series to be very helpful.  The bulk of their commentary was addressing questions I didn't find very interesting. And I didn't get answers to many questions that I had. I will note that the volume on James was helpful, but it is being replaced.

For reference, commentary series that anticipate questions I have are: Pillar, Baker Exegetical, EEC, Baker (Hendriksen), and (NIGTC, partly over my head, but still helpful).

Extensive previews of NICNT and NICOT volumes are available.  I recommend that you check these to see if they see if they meet your needs. (I have not checked if all the links still work.)

NICOT and NICNT Previews

Here are the links from Matt's original post on the NICNT:

Posts 399
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 31 2012 7:46 AM

Joseph, I like the Baker set a lot.  I wish I could afford it.  Quite frankly, I feel the same way about the Baker set as I did about the NIC when it first came out.  I can't afford a one time pre-pub transaction hit of $1,000 so for me the decision would have to be the NIC.  The other reason I may choose the NIC over the Baker would be because the Baker isn't a survey/commentary and there will be gaps.  And let me tell you, there's nothing more frustrating that dropping big bucks down on a resource and it not cover an area of scripture on for which you are working at any given time.  A couple years ago I bought Hermeneia and Continental and sometimes there's a gap.  

I think you could boil it down to this: do you have original language training and experience?  Go with Baker if you do.  Do you not have that training and experience? Go with NIC.  

Wilson Hines

Posts 2085
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 31 2012 2:08 PM

Wilson Hines:

Joseph, I like the Baker set a lot.  I wish I could afford it.  Quite frankly, I feel the same way about the Baker set as I did about the NIC when it first came out.  I can't afford a one time pre-pub transaction hit of $1,000 so for me the decision would have to be the NIC.  The other reason I may choose the NIC over the Baker would be because the Baker isn't a survey/commentary and there will be gaps.  And let me tell you, there's nothing more frustrating that dropping big bucks down on a resource and it not cover an area of scripture on for which you are working at any given time.  A couple years ago I bought Hermeneia and Continental and sometimes there's a gap.  

I think you could boil it down to this: do you have original language training and experience?  Go with Baker if you do.  Do you not have that training and experience? Go with NIC.  

I think I will end up going for both.  As I said above, they said that they will hold the Pre-Pub price for me if I can't afford it right when it ships.  I like a lot of the authors/subjects covered by the Baker monographs, but I could not pass up the chance to own the NIC set.  I love the way it is organized, and the print volumes that I have are some of my favorite; plus, I have already sold a hand-full of them on amazon.com!

Posts 84
Jerry Fourroux | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 10 2012 10:46 AM

Hmm, just saw this Thread.  I may be tempted for both too!

Posts 399
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 10 2012 5:31 PM

I wish I could buy both!  The NICOT/NT was right up my alley and more importantly I could put it on a 12 month payment deal, versus the Baker deal would have been $1400 in one transaction.  I just can't quite handle that much at once.  I'll just have to wait until it goes on a good sale and get it on payments.

Wilson Hines

Posts 483
Gary Butner, Th.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 10 2012 10:15 PM

The NICOT/NICNT and then Pillar are my favorites.

Posts 2085
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 3:21 AM

Wilson Hines:

I wish I could buy both!  The NICOT/NT was right up my alley and more importantly I could put it on a 12 month payment deal, versus the Baker deal would have been $1400 in one transaction.  I just can't quite handle that much at once.  I'll just have to wait until it goes on a good sale and get it on payments.

I certainly don't want to be the devil on your shoulder, but I did want to say for those who may be thinking the same thing that if you call customer service, they can put your pre-pub on your payment plan.  They even said that if I don't have the money when the pre-pub ships, then they will hold the pre-pub price for me for a time so that I can get it later at the pre-pub price!  I thought that was pretty cool. Cool

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 5:02 AM

Jacob Hantla:

I love the Baker material, but for good old "bread and butter" exegesis, I turn to NIC everytime.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS