Advance Notice: Logos Ending OS X 10.5 “Leopard" Support October 26, 2012

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 34 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1202
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 27 2012 10:26 AM

Summary:

We are planning to drop support for OS X 10.5 "Leopard" on October 26, 2012. Your existing install should continue to run, but future releases of Logos Bible Software will require newer versions of OS X.

This will not disable your system, but future releases of books may use new features or data types only available in newer versions of Logos, and thus will not be usable on OS X 10.5.

Rationale:

We're dropping support for Windows XP on October 26, 2012 (see http://community.logos.com/forums/t/53656.aspx), and we have even fewer users on OS X 10.5 than on XP. And coincidentally OS X 10.5 "Leopard" was released on October 26, 2007, meaning that it will be 5 years since its release, and it is now also three major releases out of date. Dropping 10.5 support in future releases will free up development and testing resources and allow us to do more in Logos Bible Software.

(What is it with the end of October and platform releases?... It's as if everyone has to ship then to hit the Christmas season...)

Advance Notice:

We have learned that nobody likes to get "discontinuation" news at the last minute. So this is our first advance notice, and your chance to speak up if there's a really compelling reason we should not drop OS X 10.5 on October 26, 2012. If we don't hear a compelling argument, we'll promote this news via other channels besides the forums soon.

Posts 8366
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2012 12:28 PM

It's OK. Apple replacing  MobileMe with iCloud is forcing me to 10.7 anyway Geeked

Posts 6974
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2012 12:54 PM

Bob Pritchett:
We have learned that nobody likes to get "discontinuation" news at the last minute.

Sad Some of us don't like to get "discontinuation" news at all.  "Sorry Matthew, your Great-Aunt Taunta has been "discontinued."

I keep a few old laptops with Libronix 3 and Windows XP. Makes me wonder how long MacOs Lion will be good for.  I am genuinely trying not to become obsolete but I never could get my smartphone to download the Logos Android app. 

You do know you can still run Linux off a tiny chip.........Coffee

Posts 381
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2012 1:08 PM

Good news as far as I am concerned. There is good stuff in the follow on releases since Leopard  OSX that will allow the Logos application to be coded to leverage OS advances for those who have the hardware to take advantage of performance improvements.

Posts 2258
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2012 10:51 PM

I am not unhappy with it other than saying i try to upgrade my computer  every 4-5 years so my 2010 MBP should last a few more years. I must say i would bet there are a more than a couple of people who are likely a bit disappointed that their computer is no longer fit for Logos. I understand why it happens but i do hate the ever louder cry, to get something newer. Merton was right, the greeks put tantalus in hell where as modern culture would say he is in paradise. I know nothing it taken from me or any other user, but i also realize that there are going to be some people who get pushed out of some new features/books in Logos for a while because of not being able to afford the upgrade (software is always cheap enough but often hardware upgrades are required and that is not always as affordable). Logos was what caused me to get an Intel mac, and likely it will be what pushes me to get a newer one before I actually think I need a new one…. Or maybe i will be content enough to say enough books.

-dan

Posts 242
Mike W | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 28 2012 7:10 AM

Bob Pritchett:
future releases of books may use new features or data types

I noticed on the windows side there was talk about bug fixes with Net 4.5 and possibly a sermon file feature.  Any hints about what Mac user might expect in the next year or two? (Note; I've used Logos since version 2 and still use L4 for Mac daily and, I believe, I'm one of the majority of Mac users that are very happy with Logos on a Mac Big Smile).

Posts 1202
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 28 2012 9:54 AM

Mike W:
Any hints about what Mac user might expect in the next year or two?

We hope Mac and Windows users can expect the same things at the same time as we move forward. :-)

Posts 8366
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 28 2012 10:26 AM

Mike W:
I believe, I'm one of the majority of Mac users that are very happy with Logos on a Mac Big Smile).

While I am generally  pleased with L4 Mac, I am a loooong way from very happy

Posts 647
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 28 2012 11:00 AM

Bob Pritchett:
(What is it with the end of October and platform releases?... It's as if everyone has to ship then to hit the Christmas season...)

Seems almost subliminal. Hmm...Hmm

L5: HP Pav i3 8G RAM W7

Asus Trans Andr 4.1.1

Samsung Gal S Andr 2.3.6 (rooted)

Convert 4 PBs - Pt 2

Posts 34
Darren Huckey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 11:36 AM

I think this is a fair deal. I just upgraded to Snow Leopard, because I thought that I would have to replace a lot of my apps. I think I had to replace one (and I got a free version). Snow Leopard has been such a good experience. Much less fat. However, going from Snow Leopard to Lion (or Mountain Lion) will definitely require an investment in new software. So… I think if you still support Snow Leopard — at least for a while — it's a good choice.

Posts 15711
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 11:40 AM

Darren Huckey:
going from Snow Leopard to Lion (or Mountain Lion) will definitely require an investment in new software.

What software is that... or do you mean hardware? I am unaware of any software which is compatible with 10.6 but incompatible with 10.8! (Unless you mean that you installed Rosetta?)

OSX 10.9 | iOS 7 | L5 Gold | Mac Logs | Install

Posts 1
Glenn Tharp | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 12:28 PM

It's a great idea!Big Smile

Posts 8366
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 12:33 PM

alabama24:
I am unaware of any software which is compatible with 10.6 but incompatible with 10.8!

I have several apps which are compatible with 10.6 but not with 10.7. Two come to mind immediately

4th Dimension 2004 (database engine—$5k to upgrade)

Drag Thing

Posts 15711
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 12:42 PM

Jack Caviness:
I have several apps which are compatible with 10.6 but not with 10.7.

I assume those are "rosetta" apps, and not native to 10.6?

Posts 1
Gregory T. Allen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 5:34 PM

will 10.6 be okay, which I believe to be "snow leopard?"

Posts 8147
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 5:48 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Gregory T. Allen:

will 10.6 be okay, which I believe to be "snow leopard?"

Yes.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 0
StL Hobbit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 4:47 AM

I gave up on Windows four years ago and have loved my LOGOS on Mac ever since.  Your explanation for dropping support for a five year old version of a Mac platform makes perfect sense.   Thank you for all your efforts to keep improving LOGOS.   Blessings on all your endeavors!   The Saint Louis Hobbit

Posts 15711
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 5:46 AM

StL Hobbit:
The Saint Louis Hobbit

Welcome to the forums… by the way, will you be in the movie this Christmas?Big Smile

Posts 8366
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 6:08 AM

alabama24:
I assume those are "rosetta" apps, and not native to 10.6?

4D is labeled Power PC which  I believe needs Rosetta

Drag Thing is Intel—guess I need to check as to why it was not compatible with Lion

Installed Lion on another HD while my internet was down, but need to finish with internet. MS Office 2011 objected to the move to a new OS on a different HD. Another reason to love MS Ick!

Posts 8147
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 11:05 AM

How wonderfully nice and quiet this thread is, and yet Leopard isn't even half as old as XP. Makes you wonder why it's always Mac users that are accused of being 'fanatic' and 'fanboys' and I don't know what. I'll make sure to store George's post somewhere and quote it the next time I see such claims. Big Smile

Dumping 10.6, on the other hand, is something I'd advise them to wait with as long as possible. Because it's the last version with Rosetta, a lot of people are going to hang on to it as long as they can. Though, coming to think of it, most L4Mac users have probably come from the Windows world too lately to ever have owned any Rosetta programs. It's just old 'natives' like you and me, Jack, that are stuck in that past. I still have hundreds of files to convert, a bookkeeping program for OS 9 to replace, and even older Hypercard stacks to figure out what to do with. Sigh.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS