Lexham Bible Guide vs. Exegetical Summaries

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 979
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 29 2012 1:46 AM

The price is definitely adding up and buying the whole set would be unattainable except for the most dedicated. I can see a pastor picking up individual volumes in order to preach through a book but as Genesis shows even this might blow the whole year's book budget. We used the Exegetical Summary of 1 Peter last year in a multi-speaker series and found it really helpful to keep everyone up to speed on the whole book and the exegetical decisions that were being made. I can't speak for all the ES series volumes but as in our case I can't recommend it highly enough for that use. Unfortunately the Lexham Guide would be much less useful for that purpose because every speaker would have to buy an expensive copy of their own.

Posts 2394
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 29 2012 11:24 AM

Armin:

By the time, all books of the Bible are covered, this will likely be the most expensive resource set. Is this really worth it? I increasingly doubt it.

When that set is compete [hopefully with ‘ALL’ books of the Bible] who will need Portfolio?  Or any package?  Just get the free software Logos reader and that set – that will be all you need!  All of your Bible study all ready done for you. [And from all viewpoints]  The mysteries of the Scriptures Solved At Last!  [But will they get it ALL published before that Great and Glorious Day of the LORD??]

Posts 60
Irving Salzman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 29 2012 12:39 PM

First, I must commend the Lexham Bible Guides.  From all appearances, they look like they will be excellent resources.  I too am subscribed to all of the pre-pubs.  But let's be honest here.  If every guide that is released from this point forward is going to cost the same as the current pre-releases, this is going to cost the family farm.  The price is obscene!  Yes, obscene.  Come on, Logos!  Don't be such moneygrubbers!  Why don't you do something similar to what you did with the piecemeal exegetical commentary set you began to release a little while ago?  Don't be such moneygrubbers, you moneygrubbers, you!

Posts 3174
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 29 2012 4:22 PM

Armin:

Hi Alain,

I have to agree with you. At the moment, I have signed up for the prepubs but I am considering dropping them as these resources are just too expensive. By the time, all books of the Bible are covered, this will likely be the most expensive resource set. Is this really worth it? I increasingly doubt it.

Armin

I'll second that- though the price will only go so far as the market will bare- and that Logos can do this profitably- but at $75 to 95 I'll not purchase to many- unless deparate.

Though I am alot more interested in the "The Semantic and Structual Analysis" series by SIL.

Posts 4920
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 29 2012 4:51 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:

Armin:

Hi Alain,

I have to agree with you. At the moment, I have signed up for the prepubs but I am considering dropping them as these resources are just too expensive. By the time, all books of the Bible are covered, this will likely be the most expensive resource set. Is this really worth it? I increasingly doubt it.

Armin

I'll second that- though the price will only go so far as the market will bare- and that Logos can do this profitably- but at $75 to 95 I'll not purchase to many- unless deparate.

Though I am alot more interested in the "The Semantic and Structual Analysis" series by SIL.

Have to agree the latest titles are getting a tad expensive.  I expect for the price there will be a lot more content in them.

Posts 3174
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 24 2012 3:26 AM

Well just got the volume on Ephesians- was disappointed- this series cannot hold a candle to the Exegetical series. The Lexham series is definitely way over priced, and from my reading and examining Ephesians, left me with the feeling of having read an "introduction" to Ephesians.

Posts 1390
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 6:34 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:
left me with the feeling of having read an "introduction" to Ephesians.

I was looking for more info in the bible guides, thanks for the post. 

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS