Word Study Ekklesia

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9
Duane Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 8 2012 5:06 PM

I am doing a word study on ekklesia and found an apparent discrepancy.  In the section of the word study called "textual searches" it says there are 114 results in 111 verses in the NT.  However, in the section called "translation" there are 115 results.  Acts 2:47 is missing in the list under "textual searches." I was wondering if there is a reason for this or a glitsch somewhere that causes this verse to be omitted.

Posts 792
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 5:22 PM

You are correct that εκκλεσια does not appear in the Greek text of Acts 2:47.

Duane Smith:

However, in the section called "translation" there are 115 results.  Acts 2:47 is missing in the list under "textual searches."

What translation has "church" in Acts 2:47? (I don't see it.)

Posts 792
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 5:24 PM

Duh.  The King James Version has "added to the church" in Acts 2:47, and εκκλεσια is in the Greek reverse-interlinear text. The KJV came from the Textus Receptus, not from the oldest manuscripts, which do not have εκκλεσια in the verse.

Hoping this helps,

Posts 9
Duane Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 5:42 PM

Seems odd that Logos would use TR in one section and CR in another section of the same word study.

This is the first time I've used this tool so I'll just have to get used to the discrepancies I guess.

Posts 451
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 6:51 PM

Duane Smith:
Seems odd that Logos would use TR in one section and CR in another section of the same word study.

If I understand correctly it's using the Greek text in "textual searches" and the translations you own in "translations." Doing exactly what it's supposed to.

Posts 9
Duane Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 7:16 PM

The TR is a Greek text.

Posts 792
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 7:40 PM

Duane Smith:

The TR is a Greek text.

Yes, but it is a late copy. The oldest texts do not have the extra words and phrases that crept into the text over the centuries.

Posts 340
Smithereens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2012 10:21 PM

Jack Hairston:

Duane Smith:

The TR is a Greek text.

Yes, but it is a late copy. The oldest texts do not have the extra words and phrases that crept into the text over the centuries.

I think he's responding to Dave's suggestion that textual search results are based on the Greek text...wondering why, if it uses the Greek for that list, the verse in question does not show up there.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS