Theology/Denomination Tags

Page 20 of 30 (585 items) « First ... < Previous 18 19 20 21 22 Next > ... Last »
This post has 584 Replies | 38 Followers

Posts 37
Peter_G | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 29 2014 10:42 PM

MJ. Smith:

Excluding what I have hidden, this is my library profile. I'm sure it can be improved in terms of narrowing the "beat's me/I don't know/unclassified" portion:

How did you generate this pie chart?

Posts 1428
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 29 2014 11:13 PM

I could not take time to read the whole thread, but I have been thinking to tag mine adding these to myTags, according to the general  thelogical base

Fundamentalist
Evangelical
Cleric
Critical
Humanist

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 10:00 AM

This project has been noticed by BAR: http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/archaeology-today/cultural-heritage/digital-humanities/?mqsc=E3773539&utm_source=WhatCountsEmail&utm_medium=BHD+Week%20in%20Review%20Newsletter&utm_campaign=E4B531  (halfway down).Smile

EDIT: The word 'halfway' seems to be cut off for some reason.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 1:28 PM

Hoping Andrew is ok - haven't seen him around the forums for a while...

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 1:49 PM

abondservant:

Hoping Andrew is ok - haven't seen him around the forums for a while...

I don't think there is cause for concern yet, he said he was facing a very busy stretch and probably wouldn't be around much until mid-June.

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 6:47 PM

Thanks for the update - also I noticed there is a new collection for Assemblies of God made just five days ago.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 5 2014 2:41 AM

abondservant:

Thanks for the update - also I noticed there is a new collection for Assemblies of God made just five days ago.

Interesting. I clicked on it to update/add, and it said my copy was current. I wonder if Andrew just re-saved it or something.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 8:00 AM

I think I've updated the spreadsheet to include all of the suggestions so far.  As always please feel free to suggest corrections, additions, etc.  I've updated all of the Faithlife collections at: https://faithlife.com/logos-library-theology-denomination-tags/documents 

Here's the latest copy of the spreadsheet:

2112.Denominations and Theology - 10 June 2014.zip

And a new Frequently Asked Questions guide, mainly based on previous postings on this thread:

0488.Theology and Denomination Tag Reference.doc 

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 8:04 AM

Liam:

Maybe a dumb question, but how do I utilize these tags and get them into my Logos library? I also would like to create collections of several of these and can't figure out how to get them to show in Logos (mainly a puritan collection). I went to documents.logos.com and only have the option to duplicate these tags, which simply makes another of the same file at documents.logos.com. How do I get these to show up in my Logos library?

Hope you've found your answers by now, Liam.  Apologies for the long absence.  I've created a new Frequently Asked Questions guide to try to answer these sorts of questions.  See link on previous post.  Please let me know if you still have a question.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 8:13 AM

abondservant:

Also - Charles Ryrie of nebulous denominational affiliation (but certainly a dispensationalist as he was the former president of Dallas Theological Seminary) has a book published through B&H and so one of his titles is flagged as southern baptist.

IS Ryrie Southern Baptist? If so lets add him as an author, if not, we need to make an exception Publisher:(Broadman and Holman ANDNOT Author:Ryrie) or however that would look.

The book in question is his "Ryrie's Practical Guide to Communicating Bible Doctrine".

Also I noticed Kenneth O. Gangel is listed by name under Parachurch, and by publisher under Southern Baptist (and Baptist).

For Theology: Amillenial

The following people have books that are from an Amillenial perspective, that also have books (or journal entries) published in Logos.

geerhardus voss
G.K. Beale
Hendriksen, William
Hill, Charles E
Anthony Hoekema
Johnson, Dennis E
Mathison, Keith
Poythress, Vern
Riddlebarger, Kim
Venema, Cornelis
Sam Storms
Samuel Waldron

Here is where the list originated from.

Thanks for all your helpful posts, abondservant.  Maybe I need to remove the Southern Baptist tag from B&H.  When the project started, it was more of a rough and ready guide.  As it's becoming more of an exhaustive list, it can afford to be more particular.  Do you know if many non-Southern Baptist authors are published by B&H?

I've added Amillennial as a theology, though I'm not sure everyone on the above list falls under that category.  For example, Keith Mathison's "Postmillennialism: An Eschatology of Hope" suggests that he is post-millennial.  I've added the authors I verified.  I'm open to suggestions for who else should be on this list, preferably with evidence as always.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 8:14 AM

Thanks, Josh.  Added as requested.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 8:19 AM

abondservant:

John Dominic Crossan - wiki lists him as Roman Catholic (though he's no longer a priest). He's also tied to the Jesus Seminar and their quest for the historical jesus. Which may be a good collection to make as well.

Frederic Farrar - Anglican - kind of surprised he wasn't listed. You have to click the links for the churches he pastored to see he was/is Anglican.

Also - can you add OR MyTag:(short name for the group/theology in question IE MyTag:Anglican to the Anglican Collection) to the collections?

If anyone has a link to a suitably long and reliable list of those connected with The Jesus Seminar, then I would happily add this.

The MyTag suggestion seems sensible and may well satisfy Lynden as well.  What do others think?

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 8:28 AM

Lynden Williams:

Denomination: Seventh-day Adventist

Author:("Anderson, Bruce", "Lewis, Karen Ann", "Bacchiocchi, Samuel", "Land, Gary", "Knott, Ronald Allan", "Paulien, Jon", "Sahlin, Monte", "General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists",  "Holbrook, Frank B.", "Colon, Jac", "Advent Source", "Day, Dan", "Weber, Martin", "Tucker, Mike", "Walter, Elden", "Colon, Jac", "Batchelor, Doug", "Chea, Alvin", "Chalice, Leander",  "Papaioannou, Kim", "swenson, Terry", "Turner, Lawrence A.",   "Mitchell, Larry A.", "Himes, Joshua V.", "Frazee, W.D.",  "Tucker, Gayle", "Andrews University", "Brand, Leonard", "Davidson, Richard M.", "Dederen, Raoul", "Doukhan, Jacques B.", "Fayard, Carlos", "Gane, Roy", "Gugliotto, Lee J.", "Gulley, Norman R.", "Harding IV, George T.", "Hasel, Gerhard", "Hernandez, Barbara Couden", "Horn, Siegfried H.", "Knight, George R.", "LaRondelle, Hans K.", "Miller, Nicholas M.", "Neufeld, Don F.", "Nichol, Francis D.", "Rasell, Marc", "Rice, Richard", "Richards, W. Larry", "Smith, Uriah", "Stefanovic, Ranko", "Swanson, H. Peter", "White, Ellen G.") OR Publisher:("Adventsource", "Simple Church Global Network", "Andrews University Press", "Ellen G. White Estate", "Review and Herald", "Seventh-day Adventist") OR Subject:(“ellen white writings”) OR MyTag:(“sdaencyc”, “sdaatlas”)

Updated May 29, 2014

I've tried to include all of the SDA authors included on this and subsequent posts.  It meant adding a lot of new authors.  I'd prefer not to add Subject to these collections, though we could add "OR MyTag:("Seventh-Day Adventist") if others think this would be helpful (see previous post).  If you were able to post the relevant authors and/or publishers here that are included only by adding "OR Subject:(“ellen white writings”) OR MyTag:(“sdaencyc”, “sdaatlas”)", then that would be helpful.  I know Logos is not always consistent with the way it publishes this information.

The alternative would be for you to create a Collection called "Lynden's SDA" with Subject:(“ellen white writings”) OR MyTag:(“sdaencyc”, “sdaatlas”), and add the collection "Denom. Stream: Seventh-day Adventist".  This would then automatically update and "Lynden's SDA" would include everything you wanted.  Please let me know what you're thinking.  Thanks for all the work you've put into this.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 8:31 AM

Randy W. Sims:

Thanks for posting your rule to this thread, Lynden. It looks like the additions you made for SDA are as listed out below. (It's probably a bit easier for Andrew if we just list the additions as a list rather than posting the entire rule, if possible.)

Currently, the generated rules don't contain Subject or MyTag filters. Is this something that would be useful to a lot of collections or just limited use?

Really helpful, Randy.  Thanks!  It may be worth adding MyTag filters (see my response to abondservant above).  I'm happy to wait until others comment on this first though.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 8:35 AM

Edwin Sully PAYET:

Author:("Adams, W. Milton", “Anderson, Bruce”, “Andrews University”, “Bacchiocchi, Samuele”, “Batchelor, Doug”, “Brand, Leonard”, “Brown, Robert H.”, “Case, Steve”, “Chalice, Leander”, “Chea, Alvin”, “Coffin, Harold”, “Colon, Jac”, “Davidson, Richard M.”, “Day, Dan”, “Dederen, Raoul”, “Dickerson, Brenda”, “Doukhan, Jacques B.”, “du Preez, Ron”, “Dudley, Roger L.”, “Edson, Hiram”, "Evans, Mary J.", “Fayard, Carlos”, "Flowers, Ron", “Ford, Mark”, “Frazee, W.D.”, “Gane, Roy E.”, “General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists”, “Gugliotto, Lee J.”, “Gulley, Norman R.”, “Harding IV, George T.”, “Hasel, Gerhard”, “Hernandez, Barbara Couden”, “Himes, Joshua V.”, “Horn, Siegfried H.”, “Holbrook, Frank B.”, “Knight, George R.”, “Knott, Ronald Allan”, “Land, Gary”, “LaRondelle, Hans K.”, “Lewis, Karen Ann”, “Miller, Nicholas M.”, “Mitchel, Larry A.”, “Neufeld, Don F.”, “Nichol, Francis D.”, “Papaioannou, Kim”, "Paulien, Jon", "Penner, Todd C.", “Rasell, Marc”, “Rice, Richard”, “Richards, W. Larry”, “Roth, Ariel A.”, “Sahlin, Monte”, “Shea, William H.”, “Smith, Uriah”, “Stefanovic, Ranko”, “Swanson, H. Peter”, “Swenson, Terry”, “Tucker, Gayle”, “Tucker, Mike”, “Turner, Lawrence A.”, “Walter, Elden”, “Weber, Martin”, “White, Ellen G.”, “Geoscience Research Institute”) OR Publisher:(“Andrews University Press”, “AdventSource”, “Adventist Today”, “Biblical Perspectives”, “Center for Creative Ministry”, “Ellen G. White Estate”, “First Impressions”,  “Jon Paulien”, “Pacific Press”, “Review and Herald”, “Simple Church Global Network”, “Seventh-day Adventist”) OR Subject:(“ellen white writings”) OR MyTag:(“sdaencyc”, “sdaatlas”, “sda”) OR adventist OR Seventh-day

This is really helpful, Edwin.  I think I've included all the authors and publishers you suggested.  See the previous posts for comments on the Subject and MyTag parts.  If you were able to list the relevant authors and publishers for the resources that are excluded by not adding these lines, then I would be most grateful.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 8:37 AM

abondservant:

I have spent a good deal of time tagging most of my library - The inclusion of tags in rules would be helpful to me.

ALSO Kevin DeYoung is changing denominations to PCA

This seems a little premature, given the info provided on the linked page, but I've made the change.  Thanks for the info and link.  Let me know if I haven't included any of the other suggestions you've made here.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 8:38 AM

fgh:

Great spot, fgh.  I'd have missed this otherwise.  Many thanks for posting.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 8:40 AM

abondservant:

Not sure what this was about.  I don't think it was anything to do with me...

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 8:48 AM

MJ. Smith:

I was starting to see what new purchases had done to my unclassified list. Somehow my collections are not updating automatically - an issue I'll look into later. But I noticed that Catholics still look odd to me> I'm missing something in how you are looking at things. What I expected:

Denom. Stream: Catholic

Denominations: Latin, Syro-Malabar, Melkite, Maronite etc.

Subgroup: OFM, OP, SJ ...

This would match what I thought was the Anglican structure:

Denom. Stream: Anglican

Denominations: Church of England, Church of Ireland . . .

Subgroup: OFM (the most common Anglican order)

or the similar Lutheran structure:

Denom. Stream: Lutheran

Denominations: ELCA, WELS, LCMS ...

Subgroup: Franciscans, Holy Trinity, Order of Mary (sample Lutheran orders)

What am I missing?

Sorry it's taken so long to get back here, MJ.  Please let me know if there's an issue with updating.

You're right about the most logical way to display these streams and subgroups.  The current list is trying to force everything into just two categories, for the sake of the spreadsheet.  I started breaking Latin Catholics into subgroups as it was such a large group and I hadn't bargained on the subgroups affecting so many pre-Reformation authors.  It could be quite a bit of work to change now, especially if the Logos Rules worksheet was to cater for subgroups, which would require more work for Randy.  What do others think?  Would it be worth it?

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 8:51 AM

MJ. Smith:

Trying to build a mind map of the relationships embedded in the collections and found a problem requiring duplication of data. My intent in suggesting the 2 categories:

• Pre-schism
  • Post-schism. pre-reformation

was to allow the pre-schism group to be included in both the Catholic and Orthodox streams (and certain Protestant groups that claim them as well) and for post-schism, pre-reformation to be included in Catholic and certain Protestant groups e.g. Anglicans but not to be included in Orthodox.

That doesn't appear to be the intent of the current structure. It could be supported by duplicate entries - often 3 to include the religious order in the current structure. If that is the intent, I need to work my way through which require multiple entries if I am to correctly edit the table.

See previous post, and let me know if this isn't covered by possibly adding a third column 'subgroup' to the spreadsheet.

Page 20 of 30 (585 items) « First ... < Previous 18 19 20 21 22 Next > ... Last » | RSS