How to find ...

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 553
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 18 2012 6:19 AM

Can someone help me.  I am trying to find out how long it was from the time the Israelites left Egypt until they reached the Red Sea.  I have looked in some of my commentaries but haven't found it yet.  How can I search my library to find this info?  Thanks for your help.

Posts 9297
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2012 7:23 AM

The length of time isn't recorded in scripture. The route of the Exodus isn't certain and the place of the crossing of the Red Sea or sea of reeds isn't known. Exodus doesn't give information that allows a calculation of time. That is probably the reason you can't find it.

Moses originally asked permission for a journey of three days to worship. By the time the Exodus occurred it seems pretty certain Pharaoh was not granting a three day journey, but simply letting the people go, so that length of time probably has no meaning.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1777
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2012 9:17 AM

Agree with Mark. I just looked at several of my encyclopedias, dictionaries and handbooks and they all say the same thing.

If you would like to see some examples of theories email me at rick68 (insert the at symbol here) vqme net(not com).

-Rick

Posts 10746
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2012 12:42 PM

Michael Kinch:
I am trying to find out how long it was from the time the Israelites left Egypt until they reached the Red Sea. 

Probably long enough for Pharaoh to believe that they had lost their way (Exodus 14:3). Hard to say how long that would take.

Posts 9297
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2012 12:51 PM

Jack Caviness:
Probably long enough for Pharaoh to believe that they had lost their way (Exodus 14:3).

Might also have been after they grieved for their lost first-born. The time spent doing this for Jacob was extensive (Genesis 50:1-3). We can't be sure under the circumstances of the Exodus that Pharaoh kept to this custom (which predated the Exodus by a good bit), but if he did, some time passed before he pursued.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2012 1:26 PM

If you have the Legends of the Jews you can read the day by day account at logosres:legndsjews;ref=Page.p_548. Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS