Deleting books from my logos library

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1
Rev. R. Dean McIsaac | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 19 2012 10:49 AM

As a Logos 4 user, I downloaded several hundred Perseus Classics Library books.  Many of them are in foreign languages that I'll never use and yet they fill my screens whenever I do a search.  Am I able to delete any that I do not want?

Posts 4590
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2012 10:51 AM

You cannot really delete them, but you can hide them to solve you problem. http://wiki.logos.com/Hiding_Books

Posts 27450
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2012 1:51 PM

Dean - First, welcome to the forums!

I am not sure what Fred meant by telling you that you cannot delete books. Indeed you can… but it is called "hiding." Personally, I think that term was poorly chosen. What really happens is the book is "archived" – you maintain the license but the book is deleted from your system. 

The quickest and easiest thing to do if you REALLY don't want Perseus is to call Logos and ask them to remove the license from your account. NOTE: this is an "all or nothing" proposition. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4590
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2012 3:24 PM

alabama24:
I am not sure what Fred meant by telling you that you cannot delete books. Indeed you can… but it is called "hiding."

I told him he could hide books and provided the wiki link explaining the process. The book is not deleted rather it is "hidden", thus solving the user's issue

Posts 27450
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2012 7:05 PM

Fredc:
The book is not deleted rather it is "hidden"

Fred - "Hidden" books is a misnomer. When you "hide" a book in L4, you actually delete it from your system and archive the license. When you "unhide" a book, you must redownload and reindex it. 

Fredc:
I told him he could hide books and provided the wiki link explaining the process.

I wasn't meaning to criticize your advice (which was spot on Smile), but to clarify the term that Logos has poorly chosen. 

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2012 7:29 PM

alabama24:
When you "hide" a book in L4, you actually delete it from your system

You delete the file itself, but, as I understand it, it's not deleted from the index. (Seems confirmed by the fact that when I rebuilt my BibleIndex it went from 1.28 to 1.17 GB.)

Also, it depends on how you interpret the word 'deleted'. Since you can get it back, it's certainly not 'deleted' the way a paperback is deleted if you throw it in a fire. I guess it's 'hidden in the Cloud'.Big Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 27450
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2012 7:54 PM

fgh:
Since you can get it back, it's certainly not 'deleted' the way a paperback is deleted if you throw it in a fire. I guess it's 'hidden in the Cloud'.

Most other apps call this "archiving," which is what Logos should have called it. Stick out tongue

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2012 8:15 PM

You removed my smiley! That's not fair! Wink

I'm fine with "archiving". I'm just not sure "deleted" is better than "hidden". It sounds more definitive than it is.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2061
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2012 8:23 PM

Easiest way, I believe, is to :

1. right-click library and choose "Open in a new tab"
  2. in the library search box type "publisher:perseus -language:english"
  3. from the Tools menu, select "Program Settings"
  4. make sure the "Hidden Resources" section is "open", displaying the drop box
  5. select the resulting books and drag them to the "Hidden Resources" drop box

Posts 27450
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2012 8:27 PM

Randy - your suggestion is a good one for those who want to get rid of the non-english books in the collection. Good job. Smile

Posts 7953
LogosEmployee

Randy W. Sims (Shayne):

1. right-click library and choose "Open in a new tab"
  2. in the library search box type "publisher:perseus -language:english"
  3. from the Tools menu, select "Program Settings"
  4. make sure the "Hidden Resources" section is "open", displaying the drop box
  5. select the resulting books and drag them to the "Hidden Resources" drop box

In 4.6, it gets even easier! Instead of steps 3–5, do this:

3. Select the resulting books.
4. Hold down Ctrl (or Opt on Mac), right-click the selected resources, and choose "Hide these resources".

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS