Lexham Discourse Hebrew Bible

Page 1 of 6 (105 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 104 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 592
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 3 2012 6:02 PM

I appreciate Logos allowing people to pay for delivery of the LDHB on Oct 9 or later, when the entire project is completed.

Question- When will the entire set be completed?

I cancelled my pre-order because I'm flat broke, but I'd love to get this resource... later.

Posts 450
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 5:40 AM

Ted - according to the post you can actually keep your pre-pub and just not accept the download of the first section. It won't be completed for another. If you hold the pre-pub and not accept the download, you will not be billed until it's completed.

Posts 1830
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 6:02 AM

Ted Weis:

The blog post says in about a year.

Posts 56
LogosEmployee
Steve Runge | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 8:07 AM

Hey Ted,

We've had a couple schools asking to use it in class, so we opted to ship early. Our discourse team helped on some other projects for about half of this year. Now the decks are cleared off, and we hope to finish everything by the end of 2013.

If you place your pre-order again, you can convert it to a live resource at any time until the final completion. When the project is complete it would be charged out like a normal prepub if you had not already converted.

We should be releasing Isaiah and Jeremiah before Valentine's Day, and will keep releasing updates as chunks get finished or corrected. We have also included version numbers and release notes for folks to track what's been added, plus there will probably be blog posts too with updates.

I'd encourage you to keep the prepub order to keep your options open.

Posts 10114
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 8:29 AM

Oh my. When I saw the Samaritan Torah get delayed till Christmas, I thought the Logos team had them beat (Lexham OT Discourse). Not so.

Now this is going to put a bit of a monkey-wrench in the decision, since I don't want Logos5/Faithlife. Life is life.

Posts 141
Jonathan Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 8:40 AM

Ted Weis:

I appreciate Logos allowing people to pay for delivery of the LDHB on Oct 9 or later, when the entire project is completed.

I cancelled my pre-order because I'm flat broke, but I'd love to get this resource... later.

Hi Ted,

First of all I would definitely suggest placing your pre-order again. We won't process it until the entire thing is complete, which will be roughly one year, unless you tell us to. However, if you don't pre-order it, the next time you choose to buy it you will have to pay the full sale price instead of the Pre-Pub price!

Right now the release is very tentatively slated for January 2014.

Thanks!

Posts 1830
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 9:03 AM

We won't process it until the entire thing is complete, which will be roughly one year, unless you tell us to. However, if you don't pre-order it, the next time you choose to buy it you will have to pay the full sale price instead of the Pre-Pub price!

Right now the release is very tentatively slated for January 2014.

Thanks!

When will the email be sent to either process the order or to hold.

Posts 141
Jonathan Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 9:32 AM

Kenneth Neighoff:

When will the email be sent to either process the order or to hold.

The email should be showing in your inbox sometime on October 9.

Posts 2328
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 10:26 AM

I'm glad to learn that I don't have to pay for it now, but can put the download on hold until it is complete.  I was just getting ready to cancel my order in the next few days.

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 10:31 AM

Same here...because of the CP CC flood slated for next month. Although I really am wondering if I will get any use out of this. I have used the Greek version perhaps half a dozen times since it came out years ago. The supposed razzle dazzle seems more like fizzle to me. I may get more use out of the Hebrew version, but $200 seems quite pricey. I may bail anyway...I will debate this in my head until then.

Posts 592
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 10:37 AM

Yeah! I'm back in! Thanks for the clarification.

When my 2013 church budget for books goes into effect, I'll be able to afford it.

I really appreciate the NT discourse set and use it regularly. Looking forward to OT set. IMHO, these discourse studies are major component of Logos and another great reason why Logos is THE way to go for Bible study.

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 10:50 AM

Ted Weis:

I really appreciate the NT discourse set and use it regularly. Looking forward to OT set. IMHO, these discourse studies are major component of Logos and another great reason why Logos is THE way to go for Bible study.

If you have the time, I'd appreciate an example or two of when & how the Gk version is a significant help to your study. If you could, give me the most jaw-dropping example you've encountered, where you were enlightened beyond what a resource already in our base collections would provide. I've never gotten anything out of it besides what I had already gotten from resources I use on a regular basis. I was expecting a bit more from a resource whose price reflects epiphanies in every bite.

Posts 592
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 1:45 PM

David Paul:
I'd appreciate an example or two of when & how the Gk version is a significant help to your study. If you could, give me the most jaw-dropping example you've encountered, where you were enlightened beyond what a resource already in our base collections would provide. I've never gotten anything out of it besides what I had already gotten from resources I use on a regular basis. I was expecting a bit more from a resource whose price reflects epiphanies in every bite.

David-

Translation to me is like jogging. After running a couple of miles in the text, I'm tired and less aware of my surroundings. While I can see what's being said, this resource keeps me aware of HOW things are being said and thus this resource provides an additional layer of study.

For example, in 1 Cor 1:18-31. I was reminded how Paul utilizes contrast regarding the message of the cross. The message itself is not foolishness, but foolishness to those who are perishing. The emphasis is on unbelievers, who when they hear this message, reject it. The emphasis is not on the message itself, but the response the message brings.

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 5:52 PM

I suppose one man's epiphany is another man's meh. When I plug into this resource, I get no juice...but I'm glad you are getting some use out of it.

Let me just add...what I see in the above screenshot is a Greek-English interlinear with the word SENTENCE in front of every line. Not terribly inspirational.

For $200...it's positively depressing.

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 6 2012 9:54 AM

Are there any videos that show the resources in this bundle in action? Thanks.

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 6 2012 10:22 AM

My 9/28/12 email said:

We are about to begin processing Pre-Pub orders for Lexham Discourse Hebrew Bible Bundle (6 vols.).

This product is scheduled to ship on 10/9/2012.

Please verify your billing information as soon as possible.

Billing Address:
XXX

If this information is correct, you do not need to reply to this email as your order will be processed automatically.

I.e., it says it will be processed automatically, contrary to the blog page, which states:

Because the resource isn’t finished, we will only process your pre-order if you authorize us to do so. It won’t happen automatically, as with a normal Pre-Pub.

If you choose not to authorize the order, then we’ll wait until the bundle’s completed to process your order for the remainder of the Old Testament.

The good news is that if you pre-order the bundle before October 9, you get the content that’s currently available—plus the new content as we finish it—and you still end up paying the same price as if you wait until the entire Old Testament is completed.

NOTE: The blog page about the delay in the bundle is http://blog.logos.com/2012/10/times-running-out-to-pre-order-the-lexham-discourse-hebrew-bible-bundle/ and not the link that is incorrectly shown for it in the tan announcement block at the beginning on the resource page: https://www.logos.com/product/6786/lexham-discourse-hebrew-bible-bundle - which wrongly takes you to the Baker Academic Theological Interpretation Collection.

ALSO:

Steven Runge:

Hey Ted,

We've had a couple schools asking to use it in class, so we opted to ship early. Our discourse team helped on some other projects for about half of this year. Now the decks are cleared off, and we hope to finish everything by the end of 2013.

If you place your pre-order again, you can convert it to a live resource at any time until the final completion. When the project is complete it would be charged out like a normal prepub if you had not already converted.

We should be releasing Isaiah and Jeremiah before Valentine's Day, and will keep releasing updates as chunks get finished or corrected. We have also included version numbers and release notes for folks to track what's been added, plus there will probably be blog posts too with updates.

I'd encourage you to keep the prepub order to keep your options open.

The blog page about the delay in the bundle says you can delay the processing of your order until the bundle is complete - i.e., in about a year. However, Steve Runge's post above says that if you pre-order it you can authorize its processing and make it "live" anytime you want between now and its completion if you want to access it - i.e., you don't have to wait until it's all done if, e.g., you decide in March 2013 that you want to use what is available.

So which is it???

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 6 2012 10:36 AM

DMB:

Oh my. When I saw the Samaritan Torah get delayed till Christmas, I thought the Logos team had them beat (Lexham OT Discourse). Not so.

Now this is going to put a bit of a monkey-wrench in the decision, since I don't want Logos5/Faithlife. Life is life.

I thought the Samaritan Pentateuch was deleted from being able to be bought. It no longer appears in my orders. Are you saying it's still available?

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 10114
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 6 2012 1:08 PM

Eric, I was referring to 'The Israelite Samaritan Version of the Torah' edited by Benyamin Tsedaka and Sharon Sullivan Dufour (which seems to be inable to get a 'published' status after multiple delays - Eerdmans). As recommended in another thread, it would make a decent replacement for the deleted Logos offering.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 7 2012 12:35 PM

Steven Runge:

we opted to ship early. (...)

you can convert it to a live resource at any time until the final completion.

Steve, this part is great, and I'm very relieved to not have to choose between cancelling and paying in full now.

What is not so great is your information. CS sent out the perfectly normal e-mail saying that this resource will ship Tuesday and our accounts will be automatically charged. Period. That undoubtedly means that some people cancelled other stuff in order to be able to afford this. Perhaps cheap CP Classic Commentaries collections. By the time they get the next mail saying that they don't actually have to pay for this for another year, it's too late to reinstate those CP orders.

Then we have the other group: those who cancelled this instead. They won't even get your second mail, so they'll never find out that they could have kept the order.

You need to learn that not everyone reads the blog or the Home Page. All they read is the mail saying that they somehow have to find $199.95 within 11 days. Which they can't.

All this information about options should have been in the first e-mail. Frankly, I don't understand how you're thinking when you're thinking that it's perfectly OK to tell people they must have $200 on their accounts on a certain day, and only after they've come up with that and transferred it tell them that they needn't have done that after all.

Since it's too late to change the first mail, you need to salvage what can still be salvaged. You need to contact everyone who's got this on order, tell them about the options, and offer to reinstate any prepub or CP they cancelled in order to come up with the money you said you'd charge them. And you need to contact everyone who's cancelled this in the last two weeks and let them know that they can keep the order and pay later.

Also, I'm sorry to say, I've learnt never to fully trust anything Logos says other than "your credit card has been charged", so I don't fully trust that CS now understands how to process this resource. I intend to play it safe and keep too little money on the account, so that they can't process the order even if they try.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10114
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 7 2012 2:19 PM

Then there's the third group (of 1?) which is still pretty miffed (using really nice language) that Isaiah isn't showing up and very likely was overtaken by Faithlife. I cancelled my OT Discourse, re-added it, and then cancelled it again. And then added again. Now I'm thinking Faithlife's going to eat it up for sure, so better to let it go.

Page 1 of 6 (105 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS