Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 24
Bruce Reisdorph | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 4:59 PM

Guys, does anyone know where to find information, tutorial, something in print regarding the searches you are talking about? 

For example, @V??M  I think I know what these characters mean but I don't know the syntax for such things.

Also, is there a list or instructions on the protocol for such symbols as @ for Morph and g: for greek, etc?

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 11:26 PM

Bruce,

When you are doing a morph search....they "pop up" in a menu...just put in the @ and you'll see...

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 27251
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 1:39 PM

MJ. Smith:

Dave Hooton:
I doubt that a truly satisfactory list can be produced by any search method because morphologies and syntax are very subjective.

This statement caught my attention as "odd" - are you speaking of ambiguity? If not, can you explain the manner of their subjectivity?  Thanks

If I can formulate a similar query (eg. Genitive Absolute) to run on two different syntax databases or with two different morphologies I will have different results from each solution. Even running the identical query with different software (L3 and L4) can produce different results, because there has been some subtle updates (probably fixes) to the morphology or syntax databases.

At the grammatical level there are the ambiguities that Francis has mentioned, but there is also the adoption of different grammatical schemes (parts-of-speech) and root words (lemmas). The known/accepted ambiguities may be resolved by preferring a single solution or by listing all the alternatives in the respective morphological databases! Lemma differences (if detected!) may be simple enough to make a change in the query.

Different results may then have to be accepted as part of the solution or rejected because of one's seminary training! Enough?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 33833
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 3:19 PM

Dave Hooton:
Different results may then have to be accepted as part of the solution or rejected because of one's seminary training! Enough?

Ah, yes, I understand and agree. I would have described it in terms of alternative theories of grammar and/or syntax but I know exactly what you're talking about and find it very frustrating - especially in Hebrew that is being shoved into an ill-fitting Indo-European/Greek model. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS