Problem with Notes

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 485
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 24 2009 3:47 AM

Hi, I'm trying to add Notes.  But I'm frustrated.

I want to add a note to a commentary, so I right-click where I want the note to be added, but the note is added to the Bible instead of the commentary.  Also, I tried to add a hyperlink to the commentary in the note,  but I cannot see how to do it.  There is nothing about hyperlinks in the Help file, and no tutorial or video on creating notes on the website. And there seems to be no way to view a list of un-expanded notes, as when I've created a few notes, all I get is the fully expanded notes, having to scroll down through them all to see what is there. And I don't seem to be able to give a title to each note without ending up with a list of notes appearing in the File dropdown list.  I dread to think what it will be like if I have hundreds of notes.

I've just deleted some of what I've written in frustration on this, which is not the first thing I am frustrated about in this expensive program.  I'm increasingly feeling like a computer illiterate person with L4.  If there is anything that I have simply missed, or if there is help or other tutorials etc available on creating and managing notes, I'd appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.  Thanks

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 4:52 AM

For hyperlink problems your issues are that Logos' features aren't fully baked in this area quite yet. Read this thread http://community.logos.com/forums/t/5540.aspx

When you just right click in a resource with Bible references (Bibles and Commentaries) the note will be added by default to that verse. Highlight some text in your commentary and then the note will only be added to the commentary. OR, in your Bibles look to the top the pane, notice the tri-circle/visual filters button. If you click on it you will see a list of note files and visual filters that can be applied to the Bible, uncheck the box with the notes you've made for the commentary. The colored boxes that indicate your notes will not appear in that Bible. (sorry I can't include pictures, I'm at a Mac w/o the PC Logos 4 on it.) EDIT: Your note probably is included in your commentary, just at the beginning of where that commentary talks about that verse, or where a pericope is tagged. If it isn't there check the visual filters button to see if the note file is enabled.

Frankly, notes work differently in Logos than they did before. The feature is really only good to annotating resources, scribbling in the margins if you will. If you are looking for more extensive note-taking capabilities I suggest OneNote or some comparable program.

Posts 2912
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 5:09 AM

Make sure that your right click menu is on the selection and not the reference portion. If you attach a note to a reference it's tied to the Bible verse; if you attach it to a selection, it's tied to whatever you highlighted. 

It works great; I understand your confusion since the right-click menu is not standard, but you'll find that it is a very effective system.

Here's a video to show you what I mean: http://screencast.com/t/MjRkNTYyY

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 485
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 8:19 AM

Thanks kevin, Jacob.  I've got a working ability with notes now.  But I do thiink that it is unreasonable for Logos to expect users on the forum to provide the knowledge which should instead be in a help file or a tutorial, at least in a basic form.

I also find it odd that I have to open the notes first, in order for the correct option to appear in the right-click, as with no notes it defaults to another note set than the one I want, but doesn't offer the option of adding to the other notes, or all available notes, but just one set.  I also hope that they sort out the management of notes in the future too, as I don't want to have to scroll down long expanded lists to see what notes I have made.  

I started off with a positive attitude and warm affection for Logos 4.  Now, with a range of issues, I'm frustrated, disappointed, and Logos has a bit of catching up to do to regain my goodwill, and certainly for me to start recommending it to anyone else again.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 9:30 AM

John Duffy:

Thanks kevin, Jacob.  I've got a working ability with notes now.  But I do thiink that it is unreasonable for Logos to expect users on the forum to provide the knowledge which should instead be in a help file or a tutorial, at least in a basic form.

I also find it odd that I have to open the notes first, in order for the correct option to appear in the right-click, as with no notes it defaults to another note set than the one I want, but doesn't offer the option of adding to the other notes, or all available notes, but just one set.  I also hope that they sort out the management of notes in the future too, as I don't want to have to scroll down long expanded lists to see what notes I have made.  

I started off with a positive attitude and warm affection for Logos 4.  Now, with a range of issues, I'm frustrated, disappointed, and Logos has a bit of catching up to do to regain my goodwill, and certainly for me to start recommending it to anyone else again.

I'm glad you've got notes working, even though the experience isn't optimized. Ever since L4 came out I've been carefully following the forums. I've paid attention to everything Bob P. has posted and trust that things will be going up in the near future. Regarding this issue read this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/4391.aspx . I get the impression that working with notes will get better.

I don't envy the challenge the designers have (although I think it would be fun to participate in those discussions) in trying to design features. There are so many different ways to study the Bible and take notes, each decision is likely to leave a portion of the user base less than happy. I appreciate the attempt to simplify the interface, but in some cases, it seems that greater complexity resulted. But Logos is a responsive company (Well maybe less this week because of ETS), these forums are a great tool for interaction and problem-solving.

If you haven't checked it out yet got to wiki.logos.com . It makes up for some of the shortcomings of the help file.

Posts 31
Josh Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 8:17 AM

I am still having a hard time figuring out the new notes features. Not because it seems overly complicated but because Logos freezes for about 90 seconds every time I attempt to add a note. Although I am a big fan of Logos, I must admit I have been disappointed at how sluggish L4 has been (it goes to NOT RESPONDING waay too often). I am hoping this improves relatively quickly as the software is debugged. Is this normal? Anyone else having these types of issues?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS