SUGGESTION: Please organize forums index

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 27958
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 16 2012 10:54 AM

The number of forums is becoming problematic - many people are posting in General when their question is for a specific platform. I suspect it is because there is a long, unorganized list to read to find the correct forum. I suggest a bit of a hierarchical  structure - for example:

• desktop apps
    • Windows
    • Mac
    • desktop beta
  • mobile apps
    • iPhone/iPad
    • Android
  • web apps
    • biblia
  • multiplatform
    • Vyrso
  • suggestions
    • resources
    • features
  • special content
    • Learn to use
    • Faithlife
    • Almanac
  • other
    • general

I have no particular interest in this particular, incomplete structure ... it's just to get people starting to think of what might work.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 11:33 AM

I think just moving the General forum from the top of the list to the bottom would accomplish much.

This forum software seems to keep sub-forums hidden off the main page, and they wouldn't be found (like the beta forum used to be)

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 27958
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 11:45 AM

Todd Phillips:
This forum software seems to keep sub-forums hidden off the main page

The hierarchical order doesn't have to be explicit (due to the software limits) in order to be visible. I do think just move general down would help.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 28029
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 12:54 PM

MJ - I like your thinking in general about the organization… The one "beef" I would have is Vyrso. Personally, I think the Vyrso forum should primarily be for the Vyrso store and resources (rather than the Vyrso app, which in most ways it really is no different than the Logos app for iOS or Andriod).

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27958
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 1:06 PM

Good idea alabama - I don't use the Vyrso but I was aware it was a problem - both in the forums and in organizing the forums.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2012 5:17 PM

I do wish for a hierarchical structure, but I don't think moving General to the bottom would work. Just as there are people posting in General when they should be posting in a platform specific forum, there are also people who post in Windows when they should be posting in General. E g, I'm not quite sure what's so Windows-specific about Why I like the notes attached to highlights.Stick out tongue

I would really like to be able to stop subscribing to the Windows forum, but before that can happen there need to be fewer general interest threads there, not more.

I wonder if the forum software would allow some kind of guidelines at the top of each forum: "This forum is meant for..."?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 450
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2012 9:46 AM

We could also make the first section of the forums called SPAM. That way the auto bots will always post to the wrong forum Devil

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS