Why not Sell "Dictionary for Theological Interpretation of the Bible" individually?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 121
Scott Yip | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 13 2009 8:00 AM

Hi,

I am willing to pay a price equal or even exceed the hard-copy of this book. I just cannot imagine buying a lot of hard-copy dictionaries anymore in my tiny home, especially it will become a nightmare to me everytime I move. I love this book, but I really don't want to buy whole collection of Baker Hermeneutics. I am willing to pay, why not sell it individually, even at a much higher price?

You can still sell the collection, but at the same time sell those individually books at a much higher price. And I even think it is reasonable to sell softcopy dictionaries at a higher price that hard-copy too!

Thanks!

Scott

Posts 418
davidphillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2009 10:46 AM

Scott,

Often times the reason collections like this are sold as collections and not as individual books has to do with licensing restrictions. Most likely Logos doesn't have a choice (at this point) in how they sell the books. They tend to unbundle collections when they are able, so my guess is once (if) they are allowed to sell these books individually, they will!

Dave

Posts 12
Craig Forbes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 10 2013 8:37 PM

I'd like to revisit this. I don't buy the licensing restriction issue. I can go buy individual books from many of the collections from Amazon in either hard copy or Kindle. Why can't we purchase the titles we need and then add as we go. The iTunes model is what makes the most sense. You can buy individual songs. At any point along the way, you can "complete your album" by paying the difference. I've spent thousands and thousands of $$ on Logos SW and titles. I just want one or two titles out of some really good but really expensive collections.

Craig

Posts 18826
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 10 2013 8:48 PM

Craig Forbes:
The iTunes model is what makes the most sense. You can buy individual songs. At any point along the way, you can "complete your album" by paying the difference.

Yes

Posts 5262
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 10 2013 9:24 PM

Craig Forbes:
. I don't buy the licensing restriction issue. I can go buy individual books from many of the collections from Amazon in either hard copy or Kindle. Why can't we purchase the titles we need and then add as we go.

There are two things… One Logos is a small company compared to Apple or Amazon, two I can honestly say I believe Logos saying it is a "licensing restriction" but I feel it is likely in someways of there own design. If you or I want one volume but are force to by 28 others to get that one it is a win win not only for Logos but also for the company owning the rights. Logos at this point (and rightly so to a great extent) claims their works are more valuable because they are fully integrated and I will state they are handy but I got to tell you that sitting with my iPad reading a book using my iPhone to look up Bible verses quickly that I don't know or need refreshing on is hardly the end of the world (if I am reading on the computer it is even simpler and faster). In general I would say of packages or collections that are out I generally have purchased them for a few key works also having many things that if they were physical books i would take to a book store to unload. Until Logos starts loosing massive amounts of sales (which they likely are already loosing a significant amount of sales) to Amazon and other ebook retailers we will see no change at Logos. In many ways it is very true to say because of price differences computer Bible software may be in a sunset phase. Beta was superior to VHS but in the end price and dominance won out everywhere but in the broadcast arena and we may well be seeing something similar in ePublishing. The masses will never come to Logos, not because it is not superior in many ways but because of price and the ability to do most things they want to they will go with Kindle– iBooks– Kobo– or whatever other eroding format that is fast and inexpensive. I do not think I am announcing an end to Logos or Accordance or Wordsearch… I do believe that more and more we are like the broadcast industry, using a superior product but due to a limited market paying a premium price. I remember years ago showing a pastor some of my software and extolling the virtues and power of each one. and his reply was to mention QuickVerse Mac, which i also owned, and telling him how much better the others were his response was QV did all he needed it to just fine. In the end people will buy the tool that works best for themselves at the most reasonable price. There will always be people willing to spend hundreds on a single knife, and will appreciate the quality and think nothing else will do, but most of us get by with with more common knives that get the job done. In the end i don't fault anyone who buys Kindle books being a fraction of the price of the same work in Logos, because in the end it may well be that is all they need.

-dan

Posts 18826
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 10 2013 9:46 PM

Dan Francis:
Until Logos starts loosing massive amounts of sales (which they likely are already loosing a significant amount of sales) to Amazon and other ebook retailers we will see no change at Logos.

Actually I have noticed a change in the last couple of days. I don't know if this is a portent of things to come or just an experiment or a couple of one-offs, but yesterday they announced the Catholic Scripture Study International Studies bundle at the same time as announcing each of the items within that bundle available on its own. And today they just announced a whole bunch of Baker Academic titles in pre-pub that are not part of a bundle. (Come to think of it, that's how they've done Baker Academic titles in the past too, so maybe it does depend on the publisher.)

Dan Francis:
There will always be people willing to spend hundreds on a single knife, and will appreciate the quality and think nothing else will do, but most of us get by with with more common knives that get the job done.

There are also always going to be people who buy knife sets because they can get a better deal on each of the individual knives they want by buying a whole set. But with knives, you can always buy each one individually.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 10 2013 10:21 PM

Rosie, that seems to be a publisher-specific deal, I've noticed how willing Logos is to release Baker titles and bundle some with Bronze and Silver base-packages, so the deal with Baker is probably good. However, I don't buy Baker titles:

Rosie Perera:
Actually I have noticed a change in the last couple of days. I don't know if this is a portent of things to come or just an experiment or a couple of one-offs, but yesterday they announced the Catholic Scripture Study International Studies bundle at the same time as announcing each of the items within that bundle available on its own. And today they just announced a whole bunch of Baker Academic titles in pre-pub that are not part of a bundle. (Come to think of it, that's how they've done Baker Academic titles in the past too, so maybe it does depend on the publisher.):
Dan Francis:
Until Logos starts loosing massive amounts of sales (which they likely are already loosing a significant amount of sales) to Amazon and other ebook retailers we will see no change at Logos.

Dan, I think Amazon is set in its way of selling e-books, they take note how much they sell their feature-less format and the capacity of the average e-book reader (tablet), and most likely won't be introducing features such as searching because such features would make people buy less when their e-books would start costing more and the batteries would dry up. So regarding the analogy: for many Amazon will be no option over Logos or Accordance.

Quote from: Pros and Cons of Multiple Digital Formats "I often read through books, but I want to look up things a long time after that, by vaguely remembering and performing a search or looking up in an index or under the headings."

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 6:43 AM

Scott Yip:

Hi,

I am willing to pay a price equal or even exceed the hard-copy of this book. I just cannot imagine buying a lot of hard-copy dictionaries anymore in my tiny home, especially it will become a nightmare to me everytime I move. I love this book, but I really don't want to buy whole collection of Baker Hermeneutics. I am willing to pay, why not sell it individually, even at a much higher price?

You can still sell the collection, but at the same time sell those individually books at a much higher price. And I even think it is reasonable to sell softcopy dictionaries at a higher price that hard-copy too!

Thanks!

Scott

Peace, Scott!                                         And Every Blessing!             *smile*

Actually, Logos does sell this by itself!                However, I'm sure it will not work on Logos 3.0g or lower ...

Again, no problem ....            Logos has a free Logos 5 engine for you if you should desire it.

There has been a problem lately with using .png files in the screen shots, but it should work ...

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 6:46 AM

My Goodness!              I've just replied to a thread that was started almost four years ago...

Sorry I didn't "read the fine print," eh???              *smile*

Peace to all!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 10297
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 7:15 AM

Milford Charles Murray:

My Goodness!              I've just replied to a thread that was started almost four years ago...

Sorry I didn't "read the fine print," eh???              *smile*

Peace to all!

Milford, your wisdom and manners benefit old threads as well as new ones! Craig re-opened the thread yesterday to discuss the business logic of selling some stuff in bundles only. As you showed, the DTI is now available individually ( http://www.logos.com/product/5322/dictionary-for-theological-interpretation-of-the-bible - a link will work where pictures won't), which will be good news for those who only go by the title of threads. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 8:27 AM

Thanks, Mick!                              Blessings!                        *smile*

I'm grateful for your post!             Indeed!                   Sometimes I let my mind get into a "mode" that doesn't consider all aspects, not a mode that I appreciate!                

Of course a link is usually preferable to a picture!                 

Posts 5262
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 12 2013 8:30 PM

Yes Unix I will agree with you that there will never be remotely the same power in any ereader that you will find in any decent Bible Software, I just meant many people will settle for bare search options for getting a cheaper book. And Rosie I appreciate that people can buy a single knife, I simply meant that Logos and publisher likely prefer you getting the whole set of knives. Hopefully more and more Logos will offer  books in various options as you have noted with some of the more recent offers.

-Dan

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS