Catholic Library = Verbum

Page 1 of 9 (161 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 160 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 98
Dan | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 2 2012 4:43 AM

Hello everyone!

I just wanted everyone to know the Catholic Base packages were updated as well. They have been renamed/rebranded to Verbum (clever!) and it has a different logo on the software:

I used to have the the Catholic Scholars library and just upgraded to Capstone. This added about 600 books including all the encyclicals and reference materials like BDAG. I always thought the Catholic Scholars library was a little weak being it was the largest Catholic base package. The new Capstone seems to be on par with with the Platinum library.

Here are the links to the Catholic packages. I'm sure verbum.com will eventually point to them.

Verbum Basic

Verbum Foundations

Verbum Scripture Study

Verbum Master

Verbum Capstone

Edit:

I asked support for a list of all the books and the person I spoke to said when the Catholic portion of the website goes live, the should have the list. I tried to create a list of the updated books I received going from Catholic Scholar's to Verbum Capstone, but cut & paste doesn't seem to work for the update lists on the home page. Instead I took screenshots. You can find the screenshots at http://imgur.com/a/O3xKJ.

There are also a number of books that are still in prepub that are included with the new base package (e.g. Canon Law Collection). I asked David Day for that list, but he has yet to respond. I will post that list when he gets back to me.

Posts 148
Colin Cameron | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 4:57 AM

Hi Dan,

Thanks for this.

I've been thinking for a while about purchasing one of the Catholic packages, but just haven't done it. Now I'll have some research to do if/when the website comes back on line.

I'm not Roman Catholic, but some of the resources are very interesting to me.

Peace & Blessings,

Colin+

Posts 15
Br. David | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:13 AM

+PAX

Greetings Dan! Thank you so much for this post. Being in Europe, I noticed the Logos 5 message in the middle of the night on the west coast. I was quite dismayed at not finding any Catholic information. I actually sent an e-mail about. I am a grateful Logos customer. This software is quite remarkable, and my gratitude was immensely increased when they put some umpf into the Catholic side of things. I hope it continues, and I'll be on my way over to checking out those packages right now.

It'd be really great if they made these obvious though, on the homepage.

Posts 245
JC54 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:27 AM

Is there any way to see the complete list of endorsements of the Verbum packages? I can't find them.....

Posts 98
Dan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:58 AM

Johannes Hendrik Menkveld:

Is there any way to see the complete list of endorsements of the Verbum packages? I can't find them.....

By endorsements, you mean like the endorsements from people like Scott Hahn talking about how they like the software? I have yet to see those as well.

Posts 15
Br. David | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:01 AM

Aside of the endorsements, it'd be great if there was even a webpage showing all the packages. I can't find it. The links Dan provided are nice, but there's no overview, and from what I've seen, nothing saying that these are the new Catholic packages. But.... I might just not be looking with eyes open. That is a possibility. Thanks for input if someone knows more.

Posts 15
Br. David | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:03 AM

Ah! I just saw Dan's edit.... makes sense. They're working on it... just not live yet.

Posts 3
Deacon Tom Lang | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 10:09 PM

Dan -

I've had Logos/Libronix since it came on a set of floppy discs (which I still have!)  If I now purchase a Verbum base package, do I get to keep all the titles I currently have and will they interface seamlessly with the Verbum product?

I was just on the verge of buying the Catholic Scholars Base Package and I'm not real happy because Verbum seems to be a great deal more expensive for less titles than what I would have had with the Catholic Scholars Base Package.

Thank you!

Deacon Tom

Posts 26763
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 10:16 PM

Deacon Tom Lang:
do I get to keep all the titles I currently have and will they interface seamlessly with the Verbum product?

Yes, Verbum is the Logos 5 application with some optional settings that some of the Logos community, as represented on the forums, might find objectionable.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 192
LogosEmployee
Mike Estes - Logos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:54 PM

Br. David:

Aside of the endorsements, it'd be great if there was even a webpage showing all the packages. I can't find it. The links Dan provided are nice, but there's no overview, and from what I've seen, nothing saying that these are the new Catholic packages. But.... I might just not be looking with eyes open. That is a possibility. Thanks for input if someone knows more.

This page might be of help in finding out more about the Verbum Catholic packages.

http://www.logos.com/catholic

Posts 15
Br. David | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 12:53 AM

+PAX

Thanks Mike! I did look here, manually entering the link, before making my previous post. Guess being in Europe means needing more patience! Wink

Now that I looked again... it's great to see that there's some clear information. But!

It could just be that I'm being too demanding. That is a possibility. But the information that Logos provides is not up to par with what they've done for the "Protestant" version. There's nothing here about upgrades or crossgrades. Perhaps it's just a matter of time before they post it. On the Protestant side, when you're logged into your account, there are symbols on each resource informing you of what's new to Logos 5 and what's new specifically to YOU personally. If this information is already available, I admit my blindness and inability to locate it.

If I may add: I love this software and am grateful for it. Logos does hard work to provide such quality and friendly customer service. Granted I have no idea what it's like being an employee, but the human contact on the phone is truly Christian, and what one would hope for in dealing with another human being. Granted I've often gotten the feeling that my/our specific Catholic needs aren't quite understood from everyone I've talked to. But we also need to give them time as it's only been about a year since they've started making this Catholic focus.

Speaking of that: is there a way to send an e-mail to the Catholic group? Or perhaps certain phone number, preferably 800... Using Skype, it's possible to call 800 numbers for free.

Happy Sunday! God Bless

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 1:25 AM

You're quite right about the comparison chart. You probably need to click on the package icon and go to the product page to see your correct upgrade price (and if you're bought things in that package recently, a good sales rep might be able to get the price down a bit more).

Br. David:
Granted I've often gotten the feeling that my/our specific Catholic needs aren't quite understood from everyone I've talked to.

You can say that again... It's a lot better than two years ago, though.

Br. David:
Speaking of that: is there a way to send an e-mail to the Catholic group? Or perhaps certain phone number

I'll send you a private message.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 192
LogosEmployee
Mike Estes - Logos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 7:51 AM

Br. David, you are correct, the Catholic product pages need to be improved.  I should have mentioned that.  I've reported this to the folks who can fix this.

I too am Catholic, and though I work on testing many different things I try to keep an eye out on the Catholic products and content.  And point out areas on where we can improve here.  Logos has made great improvements in the product and resources here, but like everything there's always room for improvement.

Thank you for your patience.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 8:04 AM

Mike Estes - Logos:
the Catholic product pages need to be improved.
But this is all too often - RC gets the short side of the stick.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 8:31 AM

tom:

Mike Estes - Logos:
the Catholic product pages need to be improved.
But this is all too often - RC gets the short side of the stick.

add that to:

Mac products

Android

Arminian

Mennonite

Restoration Movement

Orthodox Christianity

Cloud-objecters

Outside-the-US Logos/Verbum users

people who are poor

people who like status

people who are impatient

People who want differently colored panes in Logos

Mike, sorry, I mean you no disrespect.  I'm using your post to bring a reality check to a consistent theme (I'm represented in a handful of the above)--but not to dismiss your desire for improvement (I fear I may have with my "tongue-in-cheek humor").  We have seen people essentially all say similar things from different angles.  It is true that attention and features are more prevalent in some areas than others.  But what you can be assured of is that Logos is responsive, takes risks, listens to its growing and expanding customer base, and really tries to take on an awful lot to deliver goods to their base, which--I am sooooo excited about--includes an ever-expanding and vocal Catholic base.  I'm glad see these changes.  So much has happened in just the last decade with Logos, it's unbelievable.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 99
john joyce | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 9:03 AM

Think you mean Tom?

Logos have come on heaps as regards Catholic products.

I was pleasantly shocked to get the Verbum packages so soon after the general release of V5. Sure the site could be smarter for our products but they made a pigs ear of the whole release so can't grumble about our part of it.

Even the forums have become far more pleasant and tolerant, some of the nasty undesirables seem to have disappeared. Believe me just to be able to post you are a Catholic and not get any snide comments is an improvement on even a year or so.

I have been the first to moan about lack of resources but I am now confident that is been addressed. Andrew Jones et al have done a great job. I really have to say well done Logos and God Bless You

John

Posts 2413
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 9:25 AM

Following the links given in the first post do show what you will pay to upgrade if you are loged in.
[it doesNOT seem to have NEW TO YOU]

With every thing that I have it looks like Scripture Study is my best buy
[it unlocks the Interlinears that I don't currently have ]
[and Yes, interlinears can be dangerus if you don't know Hebrew nor Greek - but they sometimes help]

Against War is only 7.55 but is in Capstone
Mary for All Christians is 21.95 and in Master and Capstone
Marketing is fun!  Will have to add those two.

Posts 192
LogosEmployee
Mike Estes - Logos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 9:31 AM

Don't worry Dan, the job I was hired here to do will benefit all groups.  I just focused on the Catholic products since this was context of the thread. 

And as a customer of the Catholic products I also provide my feedback as well as the feedback of fellow consumers here as well.

Also, for those who see this thread, there are some more areas in which to find out more.

First is the Year of Faith group in Faithlife (dedicated to reading the Cathlic Catechism during the year of faith of the Catholic Church):
https://faithlife.com/yearoffaith

Another is the newly created Verbum group on Faithlife, that is specific to the Verbum:
https://faithlife.com/verbum

And lastly (though I'm sure there's more that I can't remember right now) is this this website dedicated to Catholic Bible Study and part of our sites.
http://scripturestudysoftware.com/
Has many great posts about how to best use our software for the study of the bible.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 9:33 AM

Hi,

I asked a related L5-Verbum question on a different post but then I saw this thread in reference to Verbum and thought it would be better posted here.

Just now learning about L5 and Verbum...I have L4 and the Catholic Scholars base package.  I know that Bob has stated that we will not have to pay for a resource twiice.  I have purchased a number of volumes on top of the base package I have...encyclicals, Pope Benedict's series, various medieval writings and commentaries, both of the PBI series (OT and NT), etc.  My question is related to how I find out what resources I would actually get and have to pay for if I upgraded to L5 and one of the new Verbum base packages...like Capstone?

It's not obvious to me on the website how that works.  And I certainly don't want to pay for something twice.

Thanks,

Steve

Posts 41
Frank Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 9:38 AM

Upgraded from Logos 4 Catholic Scholar (plus several Catholic library packages) to Logos 5 Verbum Capstone.  Seems like I "repaid" for several volumes, since Sales only gave me a 25% discount on L5 Verbum; but, still, it is a LOT less expensive than buying paper books and having them shipped (especially if some get lost in shipping!).  Perhaps one day Logos will offer me a adjustment; perhaps not.  I consider it an offering to help them build better Catholic resources; there are fundamental differences between much Protestant Bible Study and a Catholic approach more tightly integrated with Tradition and liturgy.

I am overall very happy with the present state of things, and trust that improvements in the Catholic product line will continue.

Page 1 of 9 (161 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS