Catholic Library = Verbum

Page 3 of 9 (161 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 160 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 489
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 3:21 PM

Alex and Andrew have likely been too preoccupied to chime in here, so I just want to reassure everyone that the Catholic department is well aware of the unfinished state of the web side of the of the Verbum launch. The same functionality will be coming to the Verbum upgrade and comparison pages as is present for the main product line.

The same dynamic upgrade pricing system as the main product line works for the Verbum packages as well, but currently you have to navigate to the product page for the package to view your price. (And, of course, make sure you're logged in.) If you're upgrading from a Logos 4 Catholic package, these discounts can be pretty substantial, since you are credited for the resources in the package that you already own, so be sure to take advantage of them.

The display showing which resources are new to you is forthcoming as well.

Thanks for your patience, and, if you're concerned about getting your proper upgrade price or have any other questions, give our sales representative a call at 877-542-7664.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 3:26 PM

Hi Dan,

Please disregard any percieved shortness in my response.  No rash reponse on my part intended.  I truly appeciate YOUR RESPONSE and TIME.

I just want to know the defference between A and B...specificaly....not generally.  Big bucks on the line, you know.

Blessings to you you and your family.

Steve

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 3:29 PM

Stephen Kerr:

Hi Dan,

Please disregard any percieved shortness in my response.  No rash reponse on my part intended.  I truly appeciate YOUR RESPONSE and TIME.

I just want to know the defference between A and B...specificaly....not generally.  Big bucks on the line, you know.

Blessings to you you and your family.

Steve

thank you for your graciousness--i've been fine with our interchanges.  thank you, and pax et bonum.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 3:32 PM

et cum spiritu tuo

Posts 41
Frank Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 3:35 PM

Dan wrote: "...thank you and pax et bonus."

Dan, are you OFS?

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 3:42 PM

Your hurting my head, Frank.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 3:49 PM

Frank Hale:

Dan, are you OFS?

no.  i hardly know Latin, although my children are learning it.  I picked that up from a friend who is part of the domestic expression of the Brothers and Sisters of Charity--of the Little Portion Hermitage Monastery founded by John Michael Talbot, in AR.  They have Franciscan roots, but are not expressly Franciscan.  

I think "pax et bonuS" are perhaps what Logos employees are hoping for after the long hours of the upgrade period.  Stick out tongue

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 3:52 PM

Frank Hale:

PS, Frank: if you click on the reply button in the top right, you can highlight what text you want to refer to, "quote" it by clicking the blue "quote" and then type your own response.

Posts 41
Frank Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 4:08 PM

Dan, thanks for the tips!

English spell-checkers can do interesting things to non-English words. I know you meant "pax et bonum," but it was repeatedly changed to "bonus" by my reply editor, and it got away from me.

I recently sent someone an email about a Japanese cooking rice wine, "mirin," and the English spell-checker changed my email subject to "moron"!  That did not further the discussion.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 4:30 PM

• To everyone who can't see their upgrade prices: the comparison chart seems to only show the full price (at least with Safari on Mac), but if you click on the book icon to get to the product page you should get a customized price (provided, of course, that you're logged in). On my browser it looks like this:

I haven't tried yet, but experience tells me it is quite possible a phone call/e-mail might get that price down even further. For one thing, several of the included resources were released very recently, which means I have the right to 'return' them and get them more cheaply via the package instead. And sometimes they let you 'return' slightly older resources as well. 'Returning' resources that cost $5-10-20-30/volume, and getting them through the package for $1.50-$2/volume makes quite a bit of difference to the total price...

• If you've looked at the 'normal' (Protestant) comparison page, you might have noticed a Customize button. It leads to some great additional offers for upgraders, but for some reason it's been left out on the Catholic page. I don't believe Logos intended them only for Protestants, but for now you'll have to call about them.

Deacon Tom Lang:
I was just on the verge of buying the Catholic Scholars Base Package and I'm not real happy because Verbum seems to be a great deal more expensive for less titles than what I would have had with the Catholic Scholars Base Package.

If that's what you really want after comparing content and prices, it might still be possible to buy one of the older packages. I've seen a few people on the forums who've done that even after the L5 launch.

Tim Nolt:
my Scripture Study package from 2011 does not look anything like the Verbum Scripture Study package

They hardly had any Catholic resources back then. They just had to make the package out of what they had or could quickly produce, rather than from what should be there. This time the packages look considerably more like what you'd expect Catholic packages to look like, though they're still weak on modern Catholic Bible commentaries, and somewhat weak on a few other things. But the original language and Jewish resources in the top package are amazing!

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 4:32 PM

Mike Estes - Logos:
though I work on testing many different things I try to keep an eye out on the Catholic products and content.

Thanks for that. At this stage, everything Catholic at Logos still needs as many watchful eyes as possible.Smile

Mike Estes - Logos:
And point out areas on where we can improve here.

Please try to get Catholic Vyrso books tagged as Catholic. It's absolutely impossible to find them.

Mike Estes - Logos:
Logos has made great improvements in the product and resources here, but like everything there's always room for improvement.

Yes, the resource side has improved tremendously. The software itself still leaves a lot to wish for.

I started a separate thread for website issues: BUGS, ERRORS and improvement wishes: Catholic Comparison chart.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2416
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:18 PM

Dan:

Procedure: to find YOUR PRICE
FIRST Log in with your Logos ID
Retreat back to first post [or use the links copied above]
Click on a set verbum link
Get to a ‘we are sorry’ page
Click on one of them
found my prices to be:
Verbum Basic  $4.21
Verbum Foundations  $13.72
Verbum Scripture Study  $33.82
Verbum Master  $86.25
Verbum Capstone  $977.31
[I have too many resources]

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:48 PM

David Ames:
[I have too many resources]

Look at my price above.Stick out tongue

Btw, it's easier to just go to http://www.logos.com/catholic#compare and click on the respective cover icons.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 37
Nick Pisciotti | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 6:24 PM

Without wanting to start any type of debate, I would like to know what settings these are. And are Verbum and Logos two separate apps? I just upgraded to Logos 5 not realizing there are two separate programs. I may prefer the Verbum settings. 

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 6:32 PM

Nick Pisciotti:
Without wanting to start any type of debate,
 awwwww, come onnnnnn!   Smile

Nick Pisciotti:
I would like to know what settings these are.

not sure what settings you are referring to?

Nick Pisciotti:
And are Verbum and Logos two separate apps?

they are the same program, but Verbum is specifically targetted for Catholic Users, although Catholics use Logos and some Protestants may buy the new Verbum packages.  It is about resource offers in the base packages, primarily.

Posts 37
Nick Pisciotti | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 6:43 PM

MJ. Smith:

Yes, Verbum is the Logos 5 application with some optional settings that some of the Logos community, as represented on the forums, might find objectionable.

Sorry, I meant to grab this quote and questioned what these settings are. 

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 7:01 PM

Nick Pisciotti:

MJ. Smith:

Yes, Verbum is the Logos 5 application with some optional settings that some of the Logos community, as represented on the forums, might find objectionable.

Sorry, I meant to grab this quote and questioned what these settings are. 

i dunno, Nick.  maybe that the Verbum logo is displayed instead of the Logos/cross?  MJ will have to answer that one.  (for that matter, many might find a reason to complain about whatever!  we need to distribute virtual chill pills.)

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 7:14 PM

I know there's a setting about whether you want the deuterocanonical books included in Biblical Facts or not. For the moment it doesn't do anything, because they haven't finished the databases, but I'm guessing Logos defaults to no and Verbum to yes. I'm pretty sure, though, that whatever settings there are or may be in the future, they will be there in both 'versions'; it will just be the defaults that differ.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 7:17 PM

Nick Pisciotti:
I just upgraded to Logos 5 not realizing there are two separate programs. I may prefer the Verbum settings. 

Then try them out: BUG: Logos vs. Verbum colors (ignore the 'bug'; there was no bug).

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 7:24 PM

fgh:

I know there's a setting about whether you want the deuterocanonical books included in Biblical Facts or not. For the moment it doesn't do anything, because they haven't finished the databases, but I'm guessing Logos defaults to no and Verbum to yes. I'm pretty sure, though, that whatever settings there are or may be in the future, they will be there in both 'versions'; it will just be the defaults that differ.

thanks, fgh, that makes sense.

Page 3 of 9 (161 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS