Catholic Library = Verbum

Page 8 of 9 (161 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >
This post has 160 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 13 2012 1:57 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

[Many years ago learned an adage: "A Bargain is Not a Bargain if cannot use it."

Good advice.

I've spent alot of spare time during the last week building an Excel spreadsheet that contains the detail contents of the Verbum comparison chart on the website and the contents of my library.  It was a tedious activity, but now I have a spreadsheet that I can sort and filter to view different scenarios.  It may not be perfect, but it is close enough to make decisions with.  As mentioned before, I want to see the tool that Logos is going to put into production.  Then I should be able to get to a comfort level on the right Verbum upgrade for me.

It's a personal choice for sure.

Blessings,

Steve

Posts 1
David Michael Day | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 8:28 AM

Hi Dan,

I just saw this post!

So some of those prepubs that are going to be included in for an example Verbum Capstone will be:

Canon Law Collection

Apostolic Constitutions and Exhortations of John Paul II and Benedict XVI (51 vols.)

Vatican II Documents (Latin Edition)

Those are the major prepubs, I will look into this further.

Best Wishes,
David Day 

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 2:24 PM

Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on the UBS Old and New Testment Handbook Series that are part ot the Master and Capstone Base Packages? 

The comparison chart on the Verbum home page lists the Old Testament Series at 21 volumes, but when you look up that series in the Logos catalog it says is has 29 volumes.  A check of the list of resources indicates that it may only have 2 of the 7 dueterocanonical books...not sure.  No mention of whether it contains the complete versions of Daniel and Esther, also.

Blessings,

Steve

Posts 41
Frank Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 4:12 PM

Stephen Kerr:

Can anyone shed some light on the UBS Old and New Testment Handbook Series that are part ot the Master and Capstone Base Packages? 

The comparison chart on the Verbum home page lists the Old Testament Series at 21 volumes, but when you look up that series in the Logos catalog it says is has 29 volumes.  A check of the list of resources indicates that it may only have 2 of the 7 dueterocanonical books...not sure.  No mention of whether it contains the complete versions of Daniel and Esther, also.

Blessings,

Steve

They are, basically, Handbooks for Bible translators.  The OT series is not complete, and, for instance, the books of Numbers, Judges, 1 and 2 Kings, 1 and 2 Chronicles, etc., are not available.  21 print volumes cover 27 books of Scripture; for example Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi are one print volume.

The volume for Esther first covers the protocanonical portions, more commonly used by the greater number of Bible translators.  But following that there is a deutercanonical section which include the "additions."  The book of Esther is a challenge for anyone picking it up in the RSVCE (begins with chapters 11, 12 and then 1!) or the NABRE (with chapters A, then 1, 2, 3 with chapter B, etc.).  But yes, the Handbook for Esther covers the deuterocanonical parts.

I had some of these in print years ago when I was actually involved in Bible translation, and found them useful in a sort of fundamental, background way.

Posts 48
Chris Rees | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 6:23 AM

Mike,

Mike Estes - Logos:

I hope this won't confuse the topic any more, but I'll give one exagerated example.

Let's say you owned a resource that had a value of $100. And let's say we threw together a package that had 3 items all sold indivually at a price of $100 and the one item you owned was in that package.  And that the entire package we were selling for $150.  What is the value of your resource in the package if you don't have to pay for it again?  Is it $100?  Or is it $50?  It should be $50 per item.  And your discounted price is $100.

Let's say we had another package that had 5 items all of $100 and you owned one of them.  And we sold the package for $200.  Is the value of the item $100, or $50 or is it $40?  It is now valued at $40 per item.  And your discounted price is $160.

Even more exagerated to make a point.  Let's say we had a package of 3 items all sold separately for $250 each, and we created a package deal where the 3 items sold together was $420.  And let's say you owned 2 of those resources.  What is your final discounted price here?  Do we owe you $80?  Is the price $0 for the package?  The fair price for this package to you would be $140.

This is all due to the value of the resources you already own, the value of the resources you do not own, and the value of the items as a package deal.

whilst the logic above seems to hold, it appears to be LOGOS policy to 'value' a library on individual books and not 'sets' discounted or otherwise. The package price then indicates the 'saving' of buying as a library package in a single purchase.Therefore it would be more transparent to state the value of the library to be upgraded as individual purchases and deduct the value of the existing library in like manner.  This way the customer can see where the discount is coming from. I did post elsewhere outlining how this could be done on the website, but don't know how to post that link here...

Chris

Posts 7
Dennis Alcover | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 1:07 PM

OK, let me get this straight, because what I am looking at in my case just doesn't seem to be unreasonable.

I have Logos 4 Catholic Foundations, and a few other resources I picked up along the way. Aside from some pre-orders I am waiting for I am pretty happy with the resources I presently have. But, I am wiping my XP installation and doing a clean Windows 7 install. At the same time I was getting ready to do this I find out that Logos 5 is out, which won't run on XP. Yippee, good thing I'm jumping to Windows 7, right?

So I check the Verbum Upgrade page (since I may as well jump from Logos to Verbum, correct?) and find that I can go to the Verbum Basic package for $22.75, or the Verbum Foundations package for $203.95. Comparing the two I see a list of resources, and dots indicating what resource is available in what package.

Here's where I'd like confirmation of my thinking. Since I am doing a clean install, I will have to download everything fresh. Whichever package I chose, I will then be able to download:

1. The new Verbum 5 engine
  2. All the resources I presently have as part of my Logos 4 Catholic Foundations package, even if they are not part of the Verbum 5 package I chose
  3. All the resources I have additionally purchased 
  4. All the resources in the package I chose that I do not already own.

Is that correct? If it is, I'd have to be nuts not to jump on this. New software, and (in the case of Basic) a few pretty nice resources I didn't have before. No loss of resources or features I presently have. All for $22.75?

After reading the sometimes heated posts here, I'm thinking I must be missing something...

Posts 10686
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 1:13 PM

Dennis Alcover:

Whichever package I chose, I will then be able to download:

1. The new Verbum 5 engine
  2. All the resources I presently have as part of my Logos 4 Catholic Foundations package, even if they are not part of the Verbum 5 package I chose
  3. All the resources I have additionally purchased 
  4. All the resources in the package I chose that I do not already own.

Is that correct?

Yes it is.

Since this could be a mutli-GB download, you may want to check whether you can backup and restore your L4 folder according to the hints in this wiki page: http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers (L5 will install into the L4 folder structure)

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 29123
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 1:29 PM

Frank Hale:
The volume for Esther first covers the protocanonical portions,

Thank you - I was recently having a discussion regarding whether or not Logos users knew the word protocanonical. I win.Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 2:36 PM

MJ. Smith:
Thank you - I was recently having a discussion regarding whether or not Logos users knew the word protocanonical. I win.Big Smile

One mention on a Verbum thread doesn't count! Stick out tongue But that does significantly increase the percentage of forum users who have used the word "protocanonical" in the last four years to 0.004%, and that includes me!

Posts 26
Frances Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:37 PM

Hi Mike 

wondered if you could advise me. i have the Scholars package (not catholic one) as when I first bought mine I don't think there was any Catholic packages. Once we started getting catholic books I purchased quite a lot of them. I don't know now if I should just update to Silver of go for the Verbum Master upgrade. Also what about books that I have on Pre-pub, will any of these be in  the packages and if they are will I need to go through them all and try to work out what I have and then delete them from my pre-pub list?

Hope you can advise me.

Frances 

Posts 29123
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 1:39 AM

Mark Barnes:
significantly increase the percentage of forum users who have used the word "protocanonical" in the last four years to 0.004%,

Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 3:36 AM

Frances Johnson:

Hi Mike 

wondered if you could advise me.

Mike doesn't really work with sales, plus he's presumably off for the weekend, so I'm taking the liberty to answer.

Frances Johnson:
I don't know now if I should just update to Silver of go for the Verbum Master upgrade.

That would depend on what books you want, but if you're Catholic I would expect a Verbum package to suit you better. The regular packages are very Evangelical. Either way, you will get a discount for books you already own.

I recommend looking over the comparison charts and then calling David Day, who is Logos' Catholic sales rep. He can help you

• see the pros and cons of various options, 
  • get a better discount than on the website (rumours say 25%),
  • 'return' included books that you bought very recently, so that you can buy them cheaper through the package instead, and
  • cancel any prepub that may be included.

Here are the numbers I've got:

360-685-2301
877-542-7664 Ext. 2301
david.day@logos.com

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 6:25 AM

Hi Everyone,

Just noticed that the Verbum website has been updated with the "New to L5" and "New to Me" tabs.  This will help the decision process greatly.  Very nice!  Smile

Blessings,

Steve

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 9:34 AM

Stephen Kerr:

Hi Everyone,

Just noticed that the Verbum website has been updated with the "New to L5" and "New to Me" tabs.  This will help the decision process greatly.  Very nice!  Smile

Blessings,

Steve

FANTASTIC!  thanks!  i kept checking, but hadn't today.  I'll head there now!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 9:37 AM

Wow... did they remove the JPS commentaries from the Capstone offering?

Posts 291
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 9:42 AM

Sleiman:

It sure looks like it from the full listing.  The individual volume listings suggest that they are still included.  Confusion?

Posts 41
Frank Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 10:04 AM

Hapax Legomena:

Sleiman:

It sure looks like it from the full listing.  The individual volume listings suggest that they are still included.  Confusion?

While I do not know about details of "Capstone offering," they are certainly present in my Capstone library, in 9 volumes: "The JPS Bible Commentary: [Genesis, Exodus, ...."

Posts 41
Frank Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 10:06 AM

Sorry, that should have been:

"The JPS Torah Commentary: [Genesis...Deuteronomy]" 5 volumes, and

"The JPS Bible Commentary: [Esther...Jonah[" 4 volumes.

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 11:31 AM

Frank Hale:
they are certainly present in my Capstone library, in 9 volumes
Same here. We might have been lucky to grab it before they removed it (at least I know I was lucky because I wanted the series, at least Genesis). Incidentally, now if you click on customize, you are offered to add the 11 volume series (including Ruth and the Haggadah) at a 'discounted' price. So they apparently removed the series from the Capstone package... unless I'm missing something. 

Posts 489
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 1:20 PM

Sleiman:

No. This is an error in the chart. We'll get it fixed.

Thanks.

Page 8 of 9 (161 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > | RSS