Shocked at Cost to Upgrade to Same Level

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Joe Parkinson | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:57 AM

I was excited to click on the link to upgrade to Logos 5 this morning. I was shcoked at the $650 cost to upgrade my Platnium to the new Platnium.

I have a huge investment in Logos. I have been with them since the very beginning. I love the company and the product. I am just disappointed at the cost to cross grade (I really don't need more resources).

Maybe I am missing something here? Help me out.

Posts 10034
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:02 AM

Joe Parkinson:
I was shcoked at the $650 cost to upgrade my Platnium to the new Platnium. (...) Maybe I am missing something here? Help me out.

Yes, you're missing that old Platinum and new Platinum are not the same. L5-Platinum comes with 111 additional resources/resource bundles, including big commentary sets like Lenski, Lange, Wesleyan.

When you say 

Joe Parkinson:
(I really don't need more resources)

the upgrade to L5 Platinum is not for you. Maybe you look into Gold or Silver (remember: you don't swap thes packages New for Old, but you keep all you have and get resources plus features plus databases plus the new engine on top) - or wait until the L5 Crossgrade comes along.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 4
Joe Parkinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:08 AM

Nick,

I think that you missed the point. I'm sorry I don't agree with you or buy into your justification. I would love the new features of Logos 5 but I don't need the additional resources (books) that *may be* inflating the price. The cost of over $650 to upgrade to the new level is shocking to this pastor.

Posts 21918
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:13 AM

Hi Joe

Joe Parkinson:
 I would love the new features of Logos 5 but I don't need the additional resources (books) that *may be* inflating the price

This was behind NB.Mick's suggestion that you wait until the crossgrade option is available and see what that brings you

Graham 

Posts 4
Joe Parkinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:23 AM

Graham,

I just read NB.Mick's response after my response. I still have a concern.I feel misled (and especially if what he says in true) and let me explain. I clicked on a message in Logos this morning to upgrade to version 5. I am taken to the upgrade page which clearly indicates that the cost to upgrade will be calcuated based on my existing package and resources and shows my existing package level. I am then able to upgrade to the same version at the cost of $650.

Posts 8
Robert Tague | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:27 AM

I agree with Joe.  The cost of this upgrade is too high even if their are new books involved.  I have looked at the titles they are offering me and do not feel they are worth  the additonal expense.  What is this crossgrade option I have seen mentioned a couple of times.

Posts 1836
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:30 AM
Robert Tague:

I agree with Joe.  The cost of this upgrade is too high even if their are new books involved.  I have looked at the titles they are offering me and do not feel they are worth  the additonal expense.  What is this crossgrade option I have seen mentioned a couple of times.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/58043.aspx

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 4642
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:34 AM

Joe Parkinson:

Graham,

I just read NB.Mick's response after my response. I still have a concern.I feel misled (and especially if what he says in true) and let me explain. I clicked on a message in Logos this morning to upgrade to version 5. I am taken to the upgrade page which clearly indicates that the cost to upgrade will be calcuated based on my existing package and resources and shows my existing package level. I am then able to upgrade to the same version at the cost of $650.

You may be right about the email you got this morning.

Try looking at it this way - you have what you have - it is enough for you (at the moment). 

Your Platinum version is yours and it won't be take away from you.

So you want to add some new features.

Have a look at the options - do you want the features that come with Silver or the features that come with Gold.

Have a look at the price of adding one of these packages to your existing Platinum and see what the price would be then.

Depending on the breadth of your library I would guess that it would be a lot less costly. You might even guess that it will be cheaper than the Cross Grade option in the pipeline.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:42 AM

Joe Parkinson:

Nick,

I think that you missed the point. I'm sorry I don't agree with you or buy into your justification. I would love the new features of Logos 5 but I don't need the additional resources (books) that *may be* inflating the price. The cost of over $650 to upgrade to the new level is shocking to this pastor.

Hi, Joe.  I feel the shock.  It is what it is--more than you are willing to pay.  Does it make a difference that you buying Gold (not sure how that changes the price for you) would give you all the new feature/functions, and you would not lose, but would rather gain resources, even though the change in name seems to indicate otherwise?

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 4
Joe Parkinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:53 AM

Mike,

Thanks for the response. I will wait and see what pans out. I don't need to upgrade, and have waited out many other company upgrade cycles (I.e. Microsoft) because I did not precieve a value to upgrade. Yes, I do have my resources and can continue to use them.  I could choose to pursue each of the options that you mention and the others that I have read.

I support Logos and want to see them succeed. I have purchased resources and will continue to do so. I wanted to voice my frustration with the "sticker shock" as a loyal customer.  I am sure that the delay on the cross grade option is to encourage existing users to upgrade to the current packages.

Joe

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:55 AM

Surprisingly product labels DO matter. And marketers know that. Including the anonymous one at Logos.

That's why they give them titles such as 'Gold' or 'Platiunum' etc Of course guys know that too when they go buy a car ... 'Limited'? Not 'Super'? Four-banger that has the power of an eight? Don't think so (and it IS guys that buy the bulk of Logos). Hello.

Awe shucks, the 'Diamond'. Oh my!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS