Disappointed

Page 3 of 14 (273 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 272 Replies | 18 Followers

Posts 28717
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:27 PM

Welcome to the forums - even if this isn't a typical day at the forums. Joey, you do realize that you retain all the functions and resources that you have now without paying anything. Soon you'll be able to get the new engine for free as well. Any decision you make is about new features and resources.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:30 PM

I would get while can if you're like me- a person who doesn't teach or preach regularly. 

Posts 11
Joey Ferrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:36 PM

MJ - yes I realize that.   But I also realize that even greedy Microsoft offers its customers a free upgrade if they purchase within a specified timeline.

I "thought" I was buying some of the new features that rolled out in Logos 5 that will NOT be in the engine upgrade when I purchased Silver.

I have found it very difficult to do the things that i need to do in Logos 4, and tonight's hour and a half conversation with three different people at Logos that could not tell me how to do something that was sort of implied in Logos 4 was a rude awakening.  One of them tried to help by sending me instructions on how she thought it worked.  Only problem, which proved my point dramatically - she sent me instructions from Logos 5 which do not match up with Logos 4.

Shawn...I think you missed a word or two.  I am a bi-vocational preacher that preaches 1-2 times a month, teaches on a regular basis and is in school for Biblical studies.  I am a candidate of Logos software, but I feel extremely short-changed right now.

Posts 799
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:53 PM

Joey:

I'm not in marketing or sales, but I'm confident they'll work hard to do right by you. This is a very intense time for our staff (witness the number of people responding on the forums at 11PM Bellingham time!), and there's been a lot of confusion about the new packages. But Logos has a very strong history of solid customer support, as many others on the forums (who don't work for Logos) will attest. If for some reason you didn't get what you expected with Silver, I'm sure the sales team will be glad to refund your money or find you the right package.

Posts 4
James Farrah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:53 PM

Question about the features:

It appears that the features have tiered pricing.  Meaning, you get more features with each higher priced package.  I was under the impression that the only differences in the packages were the products and not functionality.  Am I looking at this correctly?  Is this new for Logos?  I also have Accordance and it doesn't seem to have functionality differences between the different packages.  Please help me understand this very confusing upgrade.

Posts 1975
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:00 PM

As I recall, Reverse Interlinears in L4 were not accessible in lower base packages. In the same way, Biblical Sense Lexicon is only available NOW in L5 Gold and higher, but Bob said it would be part of the minimal cross grade when it becomes available in a few weeks for <$100.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 11
Joey Ferrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:04 PM

Thanks Sean.  I am hoping to get a better answer tomorrow.  I just can't afford to upgrade just a month since purchasing to get the features that I thought I had to start with.  Maybe when I was researching a month ago I was reading info from beta of 5 or something.  I don't know.  This is my first experience with Logos.  Great software..not so great though if I keep having to pay to get it the way it is marketed.

Posts 47
Azareel Moreno | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:13 PM

Yes they do why

Posts 47
Azareel Moreno | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:16 PM

Hey Joey. I have purchase the bilingual and schlers library. Is there an extre discount for plz. I have been a faithful customer 

Posts 47
Azareel Moreno | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:19 PM

Hey Joey 

My name is Azareel. And I have purchase the bilingual library the very top one and the schalers library. And I want to get logos 5. Is there a way for you to help and understand me? Plz. Can you please help me. 

Posts 11
Joey Ferrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:20 PM

I am not with Logos.  I am simply a frustrated customer.

Posts 799
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:22 PM

James Farrah:

Question about the features:

It appears that the features have tiered pricing.  Meaning, you get more features with each higher priced package.  I was under the impression that the only differences in the packages were the products and not functionality.  Am I looking at this correctly?  Is this new for Logos?  I also have Accordance and it doesn't seem to have functionality differences between the different packages.  Please help me understand this very confusing upgrade.

Welcome to the forums, James.Things have been a little confusing.

The basic functionality of the Logos software is the same no matter what package you buy. But you get more resources (think books) at the higher level packages. In addition, we've developed new datasets, and those are tiered. For example, the Bible Sense Lexicon isn't a feature of the software, it's like a specialized resource (it doesn't happen to be much like a book).

Posts 2837
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:32 PM

jtondee:
(In fact im glad i got the L4 package a 1.5 years ago because it had the Pillar commentaries and NIGTC, BDAG so on, which are no longer in the L5 base packages)

All your points are well taken.  If your package was a good deal last month, it still is.  You still have it, and Logos has not taken a thing away from you.  

There will be a free upgrade to the engine.  But you can't expect Logos to stand still and not improve because you bought the package they sold yesterday.

I surely agree that the older Platinum with Pillar and NIGTC and BDAG was the best deal Logos ever offered.  Any of us who got that should still be thankful.

Of course, we all want the latest and greatest.  I am struggling with whether to upgrade.  i am pretty happy with what I got, and some of the new features seem like a lot of fluff to me.  Some of them seem pretty nice.  Don't know what I will do.  But I don't feel that Logos owes me anything more than I bought.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 11
Joey Ferrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:33 PM

Sean,

I was also sent a document that has "x" hash marks by program features based on tiered levels.  Most of the newly introduced features are not included until you get to Silver.  

Are you saying that this is not correct?

Posts 799
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 12:09 AM

At the bottom of http://www.logos.com/comparison there's a section called "Feature Distribution" that lists the different product tiers and what they offer. I'm not trying to say anything different than that. I'm not sure what the document is that you have, though I strongly suspect it's the same thing (with the possible exception of any mistakes that they've fixed in the website version).

There are just three features that come in at Silver: Clause Search, NT Referent Visual Filter, and Reported Speech Visual Filter. Two more come in at Gold: Bible Sense Lexicon and Bible Word Study: Senses. The last one comes in at Platinum: Septuagint Translations in Bible Word Study.

Posts 3838
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 4:32 AM

Sean Boisen:

At the bottom of http://www.logos.com/comparison there's a section called "Feature Distribution" that lists the different product tiers and what they offer. I'm not trying to say anything different than that. I'm not sure what the document is that you have, though I strongly suspect it's the same thing (with the possible exception of any mistakes that they've fixed in the website version).

There are just three features that come in at Silver: Clause Search, NT Referent Visual Filter, and Reported Speech Visual Filter. Two more come in at Gold: Bible Sense Lexicon and Bible Word Study: Senses. The last one comes in at Platinum: Septuagint Translations in Bible Word Study.

Thanks Sean, you just taught me something about Platinum

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 8
Thomas K | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 6:31 AM

Disappointed too. My upgrade cost me about US 303 which is equivalent to RM(Malaysian  Dollars) 1000. Just too much. Besides, I may not want the additional books in the upgrade, There should be an option to choose those books. I just need to upgrade to the next operating system with my existing collection. And that should not cost me too much...

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 6:37 AM

Kong23:

Disappointed too. My upgrade cost me about US 303 which is equivalent to RM(Malaysian  Dollars) 1000. Just too much. Besides, I may not want the additional books in the upgrade, There should be an option to choose those books. I just need to upgrade to the next operating system with my existing collection. And that should not cost me too much...

There will be a cross grade option soon, which is what you want. If you have already paid to upgrade to Logos 5 you should be able to request a refund and either go with the free engine or purchase the lower cost minimal cross grade with the new data sets that run some things.

Posts 3838
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 6:38 AM

Kong23:
I just need to upgrade to the next operating system with my existing collection. And that should not cost me too much...

Hi, Kong.  you will be able to get the L5 engine for free, it is just not available yet without a base package purchase.  If you can wait, you'll get it.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 13
Michel D. Mahler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 6:41 AM

Dan,

Thanks for the help. I understand...now. In the future though I  think it would be good to train the reps to distinguish between free software upgrades and free "crossovers." For people such as myself, I've never heard of a free crossover.

God Bless,

Mike

Page 3 of 14 (273 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS