Disappointed

Page 4 of 14 (273 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 272 Replies | 18 Followers

Posts 13
Michel D. Mahler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 6:45 AM

Jimmy,

Dan (see comments in the forum) assuures me a crossover package will be available in the next couple of weeks. It won't probably have the same indexing features of L5 but the "feel" should be similar.

Don't know....seminar is a tough call. I'm pretty sure they will teach from a L5 standpoint but I'd be surprised if your instructor didn't include, "Now for you guys still using L4, this is how you do it..."

Patience, deep breaths...

Mike

Posts 13
Michel D. Mahler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 6:50 AM

Bob,

Sorry, guess I wrote that line when I was still a little upset. Not very Christ-like maybe. Sorry again.

I still believe though that if you are going top totally revamp all of the books in a package, just call it something different...like "Platinum 1.2" or "Platinum Pro" so I can upgrade mine and they can buy the newer package.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 6:50 AM

Michel D. Mahler:

, "Now for you guys still using L4, this is how you do it..."

Patience, deep breaths...

Mike

Patience is the key to ALL good deals! My wife and I dated for 7 years before marriage! :)

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 6:52 AM

Azareel Moreno:

Hey Joey. I have purchase the bilingual and schlers library. Is there an extre discount for plz. I have been a faithful customer 

Azareel, you can visit http://www.logos.com/upgrade to see the discounts. Click the "new to you" button and it will calculate the differences. This calculator was put in place so faithful customers could pay for just the new material and not have to re-purchase resources they already own.

For more on how this works: Dan Pritchett explained the calculator.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 6:53 AM

Michel D. Mahler:

Bob,

Sorry, guess I wrote that line when I was still a little upset. Not very Christ-like maybe. Sorry again.

I still believe though that if you are going top totally revamp all of the books in a package, just call it something different...like "Platinum 1.2" or "Platinum Pro" so I can upgrade mine and they can buy the newer package.

Thanks,

Mike

Yeah, the hindsight on this is pretty clear now. On reusing the names, Bob Pritchett has said, "This name re-use has confused some people, for which I'm sorry."

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 13
Michel D. Mahler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 7:07 AM

Super Tramp Wrote:

"There is some misunderstanding...I do not think it is immoral or unethical fr Logos to charge for new resources (books) or for new databases that sweeten the L5 experience. I hope you check out what is new in the new L5 packages and reconsider the value for the money."

1. I do not believe I either stated or implied it was "immoral or unethical fr Logos to charge for new resources (books)."

2.) If I was given the impression that the operating software upgrades would be free, I would be lead to believe that "databases that sweeten the...experience" would be included in that.

By the way I have upgraded and am looking forward to the new features.See my next post to update folks.

Smiles,

Mike

Posts 13
Michel D. Mahler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 7:15 AM

I've upgraded to L5.

It cost $40/mo. for 12 mo. additional.

I like what I've seen so far.

I still feel as though there was some miscommunication. Free updates on software sounds like free upgrades. I think that is where my misunderstanding lies. I will accept the blame this time, but I feel reps in the future need to make the distinction clear.

My payments will cost me $480.

The number of books I had went from 1,236 in L4 to a total of 1,731 in L5. If the books are any good (which I'm sure many are) I got a very good buy.

I also received all of the newest and more updated features of L5. It has some really powerful tools!

Looking forward to the L5 experience. Live and learn. Love and forget.

Search for the truth and sell it not.

Mike

Posts 11
Joey Ferrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:29 AM

Well...after almost another hour on the phone today (which I am still on hold for a senior tech), it appears that part of my frustration stems from the software not working right to start with.

When I explained what is happening, I was told that the software does not do what I am trying to do.  I referenced the tech to the wiki and a forum thread that explained exactly what I am trying to do (which is a simple search of "My Content" such as personal books, handouts, clippings, etc.).

The tech told me to use a rebuild index command...and voila...the search worked. So, reasonably, I ask "do I have to do this each time that I work on a resource?"  "No.  It will automatically reindex"

"Okay, so, let met test this...." Create a new handout, go to search, nothing there.  Wait a few minutes, try again, nothing there.  Type in the the rebuild personal book index again, and bam, shows up.  "It shows up now, so again, do I have to do this each time?"  "No"

Next level tech support - logs in to remote assistance.  We go over the challenges.  He says same thing - "it reindexes automatically."  Creates a couple of references, waits...no reindex.  Types in command...no reindex.  Logs out, back in...no reindex.  "Can I place you on hold for a minute or two?"  15 minutes later, I hit search again...resource is there.  He comes back to the phone, and sort of laughs and says "I thought indexing was immediate, but apparently it does it when we don't have a lot going on with the servers."  Understandable, but not when something shows up on the My Content after this last pop up of resources that I created three weeks ago.  No answer to that inquiry.

He was extremely helpful, however, in showing me a few things that will help me in the software that I had no idea that it was capable of doing, so that was the plus of being on the phone for close to 4 hours this weekend so far.

The downfall...after speaking now to six different people, I have had at least 3 to 4 items that I have been told "the software is limited in that particular request, and is something that would be nice to see."  Yes it would.

Still undecided on what I am going to do with the software (learn to use what I have even though it isn't what I thought I had, wait to see how much the crossgrade is, then make a decision, upgrade now, or just get a refund and go with another program).

Posts 11
Joey Ferrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:34 AM

I also spent some time comparing the "New to you" resources and something is clearly wrong with the engine that compares this.  The majority of the "New to you" items that are highlighted as being in the Silver upgrade are already in Logos 4 Silver.

Posts 22353
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:39 AM

Joey Ferrell:

I also spent some time comparing the "New to you" resources and something is clearly wrong with the engine that compares this.  The majority of the "New to you" items that are highlighted as being in the Silver upgrade are already in Logos 4 Silver.

But many of them have been updated and show as new. There are a number of threads which discuss this

Are there any specifics you can mention to check whether this is the issue?

Posts 9127
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:41 AM

Michel D. Mahler:

The number of books I had went from 1,236 in L4 to a total of 1,731 in L5. If the books are any good (which I'm sure many are) I got a very good buy.

I also received all of the newest and more updated features of L5. It has some really powerful tools!

Yes  About 500 new resources for $500. How can that not be a good deal?

Remember that you have 30 days to decide. If you don't like what you got, you can call and get your money back within 30 days.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 95
T. L. Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:43 AM

Well said!

Posts 9127
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:44 AM

Graham Criddle:

Joey Ferrell:

But many of them have been updated and show as new. There are a number of threads which discuss this

Are there any specifics you can mention to check whether this is the issue?

And some have added volumes (not sure if that is what Graham meant by 'updated'.) If you have all but one volume of a multi-volume work it will show in the new to you list but you will only pay for that one volume you don't already have.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 11
Joey Ferrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:48 AM

Graham,

Yes I have read some of these threads, but for an example - the New American Commentary.  Maybe there is some updated material, maybe not.  Since I only purchased the software and its resources in the past 30 days, that leads right back to the circle of disappointment.  The most "expensive" book set that is in the new software is a version of the same thing that I purchased within the last 30 days.

If I had known it was going to be updated...I would have waited to purchase.  Period.  I can't do the "swap" currently because I have resources that I have started a 10 page paper with that are not included in the new bundle.

The new resources aren't what is driving my disappointment, it is the datasets and features.  Honestly, I wish there was a way to remove some of the resources so that they didn't clutter up the resources that I choose to use.  As with anyone, there are just some resources that do not fit into my beliefs, philosophies, and desires.

Posts 9127
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:49 AM

Joey Ferrell:

The downfall...after speaking now to six different people, I have had at least 3 to 4 items that I have been told "the software is limited in that particular request, and is something that would be nice to see."  Yes it would.

Still undecided on what I am going to do with the software (learn to use what I have even though it isn't what I thought I had, wait to see how much the crossgrade is, then make a decision, upgrade now, or just get a refund and go with another program).

The forums are a good place to ask specific capability questions. I am not questioning the training and experience of the techs by saying this, but sometimes another user has a different angle on a problem or can show you a work-around to get close to what you want. If there is a specific function or piece of info you'd like to have you might start a new thread and ask for help with that.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9127
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:54 AM

Joey Ferrell:
Honestly, I wish there was a way to remove some of the resources so that they didn't clutter up the resources that I choose to use.

There is. It is called hiding resources. That not only removes them from your library it removes them from your hard drive (you can get them back later by unhiding).

http://wiki.logos.com/Hiding_Books explains this for L4 and the steps are the same for L5.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 483
Gary Butner, Th.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 12:35 PM

I'm hurt by hearing all the complaints regarding Logos Software and the accusations hurled at the Pritchetts. I wonder how many of you thanked the Pritchetts for the FREE PERSUS collection. Was that 2200 or 1100 free resources? How many of you have downloaded free resources? Do you realize the tremendous investment Logos has made in developing original resources to build the Christian church and community of believers?  I don't work for Logos, and I have never met the Pritchetts, but my investment in Logos has been rewarding. I'm currently mentoring at Lansing Prison in Kansas, where Jesus is walking the cell blocks and kicking in the doors. Prisoners are being converted in mass.  More are begging for mentors than we can provide. For almost 20 years I have used Logos, and now

Posts 483
Gary Butner, Th.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 12:51 PM
For 20 years I have used Logos to enhance my relationship with The Lord. Saved souls are a big investment and one I am willing to pay. Yesterday I upgraded from Platinum to Portfolio. I could complain about the $2,200 this retiree is going to have to scrimp and save to pay. I could complain about Logos 5 Portfolio not working yet on my notebook, or my desktop ,problems. However, I would rather tell you what Jesus is doing at Lansing Prison, and Logos indirectly contributed to men being saved. Thank you Bob, Dan, and the rest of the Pritchett family for Logos, but thank you Jesus for all you do.
Posts 483
Gary Butner, Th.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 12:52 PM

ADMINISTRATOR, THAT WAS NOT A DUPLICATE POST.

Posts 3214
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 1:05 PM

Mark Smith:

Joey Ferrell:
Honestly, I wish there was a way to remove some of the resources so that they didn't clutter up the resources that I choose to use.

There is. It is called hiding resources. That not only removes them from your library it removes them from your hard drive (you can get them back later by unhiding).

http://wiki.logos.com/Hiding_Books explains this for L4 and the steps are the same for L5.

Mark

Hiding resources can be very tedious. I like the compare page the way Logos has divided the resources into categories, i.e. theology, commentaries, etc. If they could enable the same system in our libraries, we could bring up a specific category, like "ministry" and either click on individual items (or the whole category) and select "hide."

That would be more efficient and less cumbersome to deal with. 

Page 4 of 14 (273 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS