Logos 4 Poor Performance

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8
Kevin Jenkins | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:36 PM

Logos 4 has always performed poorly on my machine, which is above the recommended system requirements.  For the record, my machine has these specs:

Windows Vista, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz, 4GB RAM, 300GB Hard Drive (with well over 100 free after Logos installation)

I do a lot of Greek/Hebrew exegetical work in seminary, and so I often have open several English translations, the Greek and/or Hebrew, a lexicon, and often the exegetical guide and/or information window.  Many of my windows are linked.   L4 performs very slowly whenever I click on a word.  The information window is very slow to populate, the links to other windows are slow to respond, and the exegetical guide is always very slow no matter what.  

I have L3 and most of the time, I revert to using L3 for most of my study.  I would love to make use of L4, but just cannot stand the slow performance.    I have already disabled the home page features, and I would rather not turn off the internet features.  Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:54 PM

Kevin, I am not a tech guy, sorry.  I don't have a screaming machine, but it is similar to yours, if not worse, and another that is worse still (the one I am currently using).  Your description is one that is relative ("poor performance" and lagging) so it is hard to compare.  There is some lag time on things, but i don't think about it.  I hear there is some performance enhancement on L5.  maybe give some specific "lag times" on a specific function with a description of your layout, if you like.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:04 PM

Kevin,

Try to use as the sections in each tool only as you need them, in the passage guide and exgetical guide close out all the sections before you close the guide, then open them only as you need them.

The information window is a waste of time IMO, I stopped using it after the first week, it slows everything down. If after 4.0 it improved I have no idea. Sounds like it still slows everything down.

Posts 8
Kevin Jenkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:16 PM

I have found that performance improves when I shut down the passage guide, exegetical guide, and information window.   Even with all of these windows closed, L4 is still not as responsive as L3, but it is acceptable.  I do find the informational window desirable at some times, however, that one is one that seems to slow down my system the most.

By lagging, I mean that it can take 10-20 seconds to show selected text, populate the information window, and open the lexicon information in another window whenever I click on a selected word in the original language text.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:40 PM

Keith Larson:

Kevin,

Try to use as the sections in each tool only as you need them, in the passage guide and exgetical guide close out all the sections before you close the guide, then open them only as you need them.

The information window is a waste of time IMO, I stopped using it after the first week, it slows everything down. If after 4.0 it improved I have no idea. Sounds like it still slows everything down.

Kevin, that was helpful advice.  that's essentially what I do, didn't think to say that.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3148
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 2:19 PM

Kevin Jenkins:
By lagging, I mean that it can take 10-20 seconds to show selected text, populate the information window, and open the lexicon information in another window whenever I click on a selected word in the original language text.

Though I would tend to agree Dan regarding performance being largely relative, if the program is truly taking 10-20 seconds to populate text in the information panel we'd like to investigate. You cited your specs in your original post, but you haven't mentioned your video card. Believe or not Logos 4 does use your video card a bit, and if you have an integrated video card as opposed to a discrete one (eg NVIDA or ATA card) I could see some of the more motion intensive activities Logos 4 does taking longer to finish. Regarding the information panel, I usually tell people to change the refresh setting on it to "click" as opposed to "hover". All of that having been said, if you have time to call us sometime I'm sure we could help work through some of the issues regarding the program being slow. We're open longer hours lately because of the Logos 5 launch, so for the next little while we're open from 6am-9pm Monday through Friday, and 6am-5pm on Saturday. If you are ever not sure if we're open or not you can check the homepage which indicates our open/closed status.  The number is 800-875-6467.

Posts 59
greypilgrim | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 7:02 AM

For the record, my machine is faster than yours Kevin. You will not get much help from Logos. They are completely unrealistic in this area. I have even exchanged emails with Bob and his response left me stunned. He politely refuses to admit that to smoothly operate Logos 4 the minimum system requires a huge amount of video RAM. I do not know how much but I have an i3 with 4 MG and it is constantly hiccuping. I cannot afford a new system so I am stuck putting up with the strangeness in typing and the slow speeds in loading resources. It does allow me to drink a lot of tea. Type a word, take a drink wait then continue typing. If it was not such a fantastic resource i would chuck it but I have too much invested, and when it works it is great    

John H Pavelko

Crossroads Presbyterian Church

Walled Lake MI

Posts 47
JD | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 9:41 AM

Hello there!

I have had similar performance issues with L4.  So, I have bought recently the most powerful desktop on ther market: i7 3rd generation, 16GB RAM 128 Solid State 2GB Video.  L4 runs under 2 seconds in Greek or Hebrew.  Yes, you need the most powerful hardware to run any Logos... And I display everything on 40" SHARP 1080p !

Posts 10126
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 9:47 AM

Thank YOU Janusz!!

I'd been wondering, but now I know! (the biggest, baddest PC purchasable).

Little did I suspect what it took to run Logos, and ANY Logos!

Posts 8
Kevin Jenkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:20 PM

Thanks Tommy.   Your reply about the video card is what I suspected to be the issue.  My laptop does not have a discrete video card, but rather the Intel GMA chipset.   It's a shame because I purchased this machine to run Logos 3 and then upgraded to L4 a month before heading to seminary.   I don't have the funds to purchase new hardware, and with it being a laptop, I can't install a discrete video card.   Little did I know that L4 would be so video intensive. :(

Posts 8
Kevin Jenkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:21 PM

Unfortunately, some of us can't afford to buy that kind of hardware, so I guess we'll be joining John for tea.  :P

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 7:50 PM

Kevin Jenkins:

Unfortunately, some of us can't afford to buy that kind of hardware, so I guess we'll be joining John for tea.  :P

Thankful for Dell Outlet Twitter deals.  Microcenter offers a 27" Auria Monitor for $ 399.99 that needs a dual-link DVI graphics card so can display 2,560 x 1,440.

Logos is a resource intensive application; bargain opportunities exist for powerful hardware.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8
Kevin Jenkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 9:04 PM

I would need more than a monitor, I would need an entire new laptop.  A $400 "bargain" is still well out of reach for me.  Poor seminary student is a good descriptor for me.  Throwing more money at the solution is not an option for me.   But if you're offering... :D ;)

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS