Q: If I upgrade to Logos 5, will I have to pay for functionality I already have in Logos 4?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 98
Joshua Coady | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:47 PM

I have L4 JG, whatever that is. If I upgrade to L5 Starter will I be missing any features I had access to in L4?

Note, I am not talking about books. That is covered in the FAQ under "Q: If I upgrade to Logos 5, will I have to pay for books I already own?".

I am talking about features and/or data sets or whatever else they may be called.

The situation I am wanting to avoid is "upgrading" to L5 then going to use it and realizing a tool is no longer available because that tool/feature is not part of the L5 package I upgraded to even though it was part of the L4 package I've been using for the past couple years.

I dont know exactly how this works, though I do know I did not have access to absolutely everything L4 could do (I think due to lack of some data sets -- not books) and it is not clear at what level I need for L5 to retain the existing functionality I currently enjoy in L4. It is clear that if I spend $1500 to get L5 Gold, then I'll have everything, but that's not what I'm after.

Thanks!

Posts 60
Rustamania | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:52 PM

Same question.  I have original languages.  I can see buying the starter set to pick up L5 and a few new pieces of functionality, but I don't want to drop functionality that I had in l4.  It wouldn't make sense to upgrade.

Posts 4659
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:02 PM

I have posted a link to this thread in a message for the Logos folks to respond to. I am not sure how to answer the question regarding L4 functionality on a downgrade from L4 to L5. I do know that no resources are lost.

You may also want to keep in mind that entering L5 at that level will give you very little access to the new databases that make L5 really cool. 

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:02 PM

Joshua Coady:
I have L4 JG, whatever that is. If I upgrade to L5 Starter will I be missing any features I had access to in L4?
No you will not. what you own, you own. All of your resources (data sets) carry over. All of your active licenses carry over. It just changes the name of the package you are on.

Joshua Coady:
The situation I am wanting to avoid is "upgrading" to L5 then going to use it and realizing a tool is no longer available because that tool/feature is not part of the L5 package I upgraded to even though it was part of the L4 package I've been using for the past couple years.
I've been using L5 for about 4-6 weeks as a beta tester. I do not believe there is a single L4 item that is not also in L5.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:10 PM

Jason rust:

Same question.  I have original languages.  I can see buying the starter set to pick up L5 and a few new pieces of functionality, but I don't want to drop functionality that I had in l4.  It wouldn't make sense to upgrade.

You might want to wait for the minimal crossgrade to come out.

Posts 17
Leo Koo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:14 PM

Thanks TC!

Should we upgrade to L5 then? =)

Would Accordance or other bible software be better?

And yes, is the Gold Package worth the upgrade price for the data set?

Appreciate your help! Am sure as a beta tester, you could give us some feedback... =)

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:24 PM

Leo,

Only you can answer those questions. Does L5 offer features you find valuable? Have you tried out Accordance and how do you feel it compares? Does the Gold package have resources you want, or would it be better to wait for the cheaper crossgrade? Only you can answer these.

For myself, I've upgraded to L5 and I'm enjoying it thus far. It's got a cleaner, crisper look; it is snappy and responsive; the new features I've played with are nice (Logos keeps touting Timelines, but I never use that tool anyway so I don't care about it) the new features for managing the library and documents are very, very helpful, the Bible Facts integration is nice and useful, the Speaker labels in the Bible text look like they will be helpful, etc. I've got Accordance with a few resources (not many, not enough to really compare the two) but have yet to be convinced that Accordance offers better value. Logos has more features, more capabilities, loads more resources, etc. Accordance has performed a *lot* better on the Mac than Logos. I still have L5 loading on my Mac so I can't comment yet on how it performs, but others say it is better. For the package differences, the Platinum upgrade (I had Platinum; upgraded to the L5 version) added several resources I really wanted, saving me money by getting them in the package rather than individually. So for me, the upgrade has been a win.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 6:40 PM

Leo Koo:

Should we upgrade to L5 then? =)

Would Accordance or other bible software be better?

And yes, is the Gold Package worth the upgrade price for the data set?

Yes.

No.

If you use the data sets, yes. Look at the book offerings and calculate if what you gain is worth the money for you. Hit the Logos Video page and watch the New L5 videos.

I know my answers are shorter than you expected, but it's been a long day... ;-)

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 8081
LogosEmployee

Joshua Coady:

No; everything you already purchased and are using in Logos 4 will still be available in Logos 5.

Note that some features may have been renamed or moved around, but are still available. For example, "Biblical People" in Logos 4 has been absorbed into "Bible Facts" in Logos 5. Not only that, but the database of biblical people in Logos 4 has been updated with anonymous people and groups for free in Logos 5.

Posts 98
Joshua Coady | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 2:30 AM

Cool, thanks. One remaining question: if I upgrade now to Starter, will I be able to also cross-grade later to get the new data sets up to Gold level (but not the additional resources)? I understand that is something I would be able to do eventually if I stay on L4 for now (or did I also misunderstand what the cross-grade is?)

I currently have L4 Bible Study Library.

Posts 25103
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 3:01 AM

Joshua Coady:
if I upgrade now to Starter, will I be able to also cross-grade later to get the new data sets up to Gold level

Possibly, but nothing has been finalised, so we have to wait for an announcement in the forums or blog.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 10597
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 1:16 PM

Chris Roberts:
the Speaker labels in the Bible text look like they will be helpful

Sometimes, they can even be entertaining:

Each of those megaphone icons represent a different "…ite" ethnic group then present in Canaan.

Posts 1244
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 12:31 PM

Jack Caviness:

Chris Roberts:
the Speaker labels in the Bible text look like they will be helpful

Sometimes, they can even be entertaining:

Each of those megaphone icons represent a different "…ite" ethnic group then present in Canaan.

Jack, that is fascinating to me. Can you tell me how that info would be found. Timeline? Clause search? I am waiting to see the crossgrade option, but when I see things like that I want to upgrade now :) 

Posts 10319
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 12:31 PM

Missed Jack's really good catch.

Posts 4686
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 12:54 PM

Posts 10597
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 4:17 PM

Mike Tourangeau:
Jack, that is fascinating to me. Can you tell me how that info would be found.

It is the Reported Speech Visual Filter, and is contained in Sliver and above—or in the Minimal Corssgrade, which may appear next week. Mike showed you where to find it in the Visual Filter Menu.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 8:22 AM

In http://community.logos.com/forums/p/58232/414480.aspx#414480 I'm pondering these issues.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 98
Joshua Coady | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 4:16 PM

Unix:

I ended up upgrading and am completely satisfied. I dont use Logos as extensively as some, but everything I do use it right where I left it. I did an in-place upgrade on my mac without issue (except having to remove the L4 icon from the dock). I have not yet upgraded on windows because I'm currently running win 8 RP which is incompatible.

One observation I made after upgrading is that the discounts for going from a lower L5 package to a higher one are much less than when going from L4 to a higher L5 package. (5-15% instead of 15-25%) I do not plan on another base package upgrade for another year or more, so I am fine with that. If you think you may end up going with a higher L5 package within the promo period, you'll save more going directly there from L4 rather than L4 -> L5 lower -> L5 higher.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS