logos 5 crash...

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 95
Jack Nørdam | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 3 2012 4:00 AM

I have just upgraded to Logos 5 and when I press the icon it begins as normal, but instead of opening it just stops without any error message or anything - as if there is no program???

Posts 24841
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 4:22 AM

We need logs, Jack. Read http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging  and upload logos.log and any crash logs.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 95
Jack Nørdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 4:31 AM

I tried to hold down the ctrl key while opening logos 5, but with no result. Most of the rest on that page is hard to understand, at least for me.

Posts 95
Jack Nørdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 4:35 AM

Now I got in to 'sign in' and I tried, but then the windows told me, that Logos 5 just stopped working and nothing else and it didn't matter if I tried over the internet or offline.

Posts 95
Jack Nørdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 4:45 AM

now I got a crashlog, but when I try to attach it, this below is shown: (is that usefull?)

0081.LogosCrash.txt

Posts 24841
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 4:48 AM

There should be a crash log in documents\Logos Log Files; try to upload that. Otherwise contact Logos Support in the morning.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 9961
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 4:49 AM

Jack Nørdam:

now I got a crashlog, but when I try to attach it, this below is shown: (is that usefull?)

0081.LogosCrash.txt

yes. it shows that something is duplicate

Error ID: 759
Error detail: ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
Maybe log-reading wizards or developers can use the rest in the log to find out what this item was and how to proceed (e.g. delete a certain file that L5 will automatically re-create). Even better would be a Logos Log that details all the steps the system takes before crashing.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 24841
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 4:52 AM

Jack Nørdam:

Yes, it was. The crash is the same as another that came up earlier, but it needs input from Logos Support to resolve.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 95
Jack Nørdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 5:05 AM

so I have to report this to logos support as email

Posts 9961
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 5:36 AM

Jack Nørdam:

so I have to report this to logos support as email

not necessarily - I'd assume Bradley will pick it up here and either know the answer or point it forward, but even he seems to need a couple hours for sleep every other day or so. If you report it by mail, maybe it helps to include a reference to this thread.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 7982
LogosEmployee

Unfortunately, this looks like a WPF bug (and one that was introduced in WPF 4). I haven't been able to find any information from Microsoft on whether there is a fix or a workaround.

It's crashing when it's loading the list of fonts on your system. More specifically, one of your fonts appears to have two font names in the same language. WPF isn't expecting this, and so it crashes. This could probably be solved by uninstalling that font, but I don't know if we can tell which font it is.

Posts 95
Jack Nørdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 8:14 AM

If that is true - why didn't Logos 4 crash? It was very stable.

Posts 95
Jack Nørdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 8:22 AM

If noone can solve this, can I then uninstall Logos 5 and get my money back, that way I at least have Logos 4, and it works fine?

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 8:31 AM

I experienced this yesterday. I found a bad registry key...used CCleaner to delete it...works fine now.

Posts 7982
LogosEmployee

EDIT: The most common font that causes this crash is "DiagramTTBlindAll". If you find this font in your Windows Fonts folder, delete it, then restart Logos 5. If it still crashes, follow the instructions below to identify the incompatible font.

(Logos 5.0 SR-4 will be released soon and will contain a fix for this incompatibility.)

Jack Nørdam:

Logos 4 used WPF 3.5, which didn't have this bug. It's a new one Microsoft introduced in WPF 4 and that we didn't encounter in beta testing. Sad 

However, I have an idea. Please download LINQPad here ("for .NET Framework 4.x" link in upper right): http://www.linqpad.net/

Download the attached file and unzip it. 1447.WPF Font Crash.zip 

In LINQPad, choose File > Open and open the file you unzipped. Press F5 to run it. It should identify the font(s) with the problems. (If it doesn't seem to work please paste its output or a screenshot here.)

Until Microsoft announces a fix for this bug, I think you will have to uninstall those font(s) in order to run Logos 5.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 8:40 AM

Jack Nørdam:

Logos 4 used .NET Framework 3.5 and WPF 3.5 while Logos 5 uses .NET Framework 4.5 and WPF 4.

Windows 7 has a Fonts folder C:\Windows\Fonts, which has an option to add Family as a column in  Details view:

Wonder if same Family is in two Fonts ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 95
Jack Nørdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 8:59 AM

I got this message Bradley:

Error
DiagramTTBlindAll

Finished
Checked all fonts

So, what can I do with that?

Posts 95
Jack Nørdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:02 AM

Oh, I deleated the font, and now it seems to work - thanks :)

Posts 7982
LogosEmployee

Jack Nørdam:

So, what can I do with that?

Unfortunately, the script I sent you can't display the name, because getting the name triggers the bug in WPF and causes the crash. However, it's likely that the font in question is named "Diagram something" or "Diagram Blind something".

Open C:\Windows\Fonts in Windows Explorer and look for a font with that name. You can type "diagram" in the "Search fonts" box in the upper right to filter the list. If there's only one font shown, it's probably the one. Otherwise, look through the list for one that most closely matches "DiagramTTBlindAll". When you find it, right-click it and delete it.

Then go back to LINQPad and press F5 again. If the "Error" message still displays, that wasn't the right font. But hopefully, "Error" no longer displays and all the remaining fonts are compatible with Logos 5. If so, Logos 5 should run without crashing.

Posts 44
Michael Kahler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:28 AM

Just to confirm, when I deleted the font identified, my copy of Logos 5 started working, also.  One question though, I don't seem to see all the tools listed.  Are these part of the 1.8GB download that is going on now?

Thanks for the help Bradley and Jack!

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS