Question to Mac Users of Logos 5

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 368
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 8 2012 6:45 PM

For those of you who went from Logos 4 Mac to Logos 5 Mac, I have a question for you: How is the memory usage in Logos 5 Mac compared to Logos 4 Mac? Is it better? As in, does it use less RAM than Logos4? I use Memory Scope to watch my RAM usage, and Logos tends to use at least 5% of my RAM....sometimes as much as 9%. So, I just want to know if Logos 5 Mac uses more, or less or the same amount of RAM as before. And those with large libraries: is the indexing faster or the same? Also, is scrolling in Bibles faster, the same, or slower than Logos 4 Mac? And how about scrolling with two Bibles synced with each other: is scrolling faster, the same, or slower than Logos 4 Mac? Also, is the load time faster, the same, or slower? (Of course, this COULD depend on how old your Mac is, how fast your processor is, how much RAM you have, and how fast your hard drive is or if you have an SSD).

(FYI: I am using a late 2008 Macbook, Aluminum, before it went to Macbook Pro status, 8GB RAM).

Posts 634
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 1:48 AM

Similar RAM usage for me, I also have 8gb and never get close to using all of it.

Indexing significantly faster, at last partly because it is now multi-threaded, I'd be guessing your Mac is a Core2Duo so it could be half the time.

General use with the interface/scrolling etc all much quicker for me, I used to rarely sync books and scroll them together, now don't need to worry about it.

Load time similar I think, limited primarily by internet connection (syncing documents and loading home screen data).

My mac is newer than yours (mid-2011, SSD) but from all reports you should see significant improvements regardless.

Posts 44
Jo Decaesteker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 3:20 AM

Same here on the Mac side of performance: better. (Imac mid 2011 i7-3.4 Ghz, 8Gb Ram - no SDD though.)

I have Logos 5 on my office pc too, running Windows. I don't want to get into the whole religious thing of Mac vs. Pc (lol), but I have to say that it runs slower in my Windows office pc, allthough it has the same (main) features as my home Mac: i7 (3.4 Ghz), 8 Gb ram... (The 2gb ram on my Mac's graphics card vs. 1 Gb on my Windows PC could be boosting performance though).

Anyway, I'm very happy and enjoying the features of number 5! And I do find it awesome that I can have Logos on two computers, even when they have a different OS! THANKS and God bless you at Logos!

Posts 128
Jason Skipper | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 11:07 AM

Another thing about Macs: What are the minimum requirements? I have Snow Leopard on a 2008 MBP with 4G RAM. 

Will this work with Snow Leopard, or only with the newer OS?

Posts 44
Jo Decaesteker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 11:24 AM

On my iMac, I run Logos 5 on Snow Leopard. I read minimum OS requirement is Leopard... http://www.logos.com/support/tech-faq  You should be fine.

Posts 8375
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 1:47 PM

Jo Decaesteker:
I read minimum OS requirement is Leopard... http://www.logos.com/support/tech-faq 

That page is in error. Note that it says "Leopard" 10.6. However, Leopard is 10.5. Should have read, Snow Leopard. L5 used system resources that are not present in 10.5 (Leopard)

Will report the error in the Website forum.

Posts 13055
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 5:05 AM

Jack Caviness:

Jo Decaesteker:
I read minimum OS requirement is Leopard... http://www.logos.com/support/tech-faq 

That page is in error. Note that it says "Leopard" 10.6. However, Leopard is 10.5. Should have read, Snow Leopard. L5 used system resources that are not present in 10.5 (Leopard)

Will report the error in the Website forum.

Noticed Logos 5 minimum OS requirement now shows OS X "Snow Leopard" 10.6

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1778
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 5:20 AM

It doesn't seem too memory intensive. I was playing around with some searches last night and crashed it twice. I see 5.0a is in beta, so we'll see if this addresses some of the stability... or I'll be submitting more logs. 

This being said, in general I am very satisfied with it. I think 5.0 is what we all hoped 4.0 would be. Smile

Logos for Mac - Wiki Page and FAQ

Posts 1583
Forum MVP
Paul Newsome | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 5:21 AM

I thought Bradley's post in this thread was informative regarding some L5 system requirements

Posts 8375
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 6:27 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Noticed Logos 5 minimum OS requirement now shows OS X "Snow Leopard" 10.6

Pleased to see that they corrected the typo so soon.

Posts 8375
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 6:30 AM

Paul Newsome:
I thought Bradley's post in this thread was informative regarding some L5 system requirements

Noted that, in the first post in that thread, fgh had copied the incorrect information that was originally contained in the System Requirements page.

L5 Mac is not compatible with Leopard—that is, 10.5. It requires as a minimum Snow Leopard 10.6

Posts 172
CL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 6:56 AM

I have 2009 Macbook with 8gb memory. Logos 5 is a HUGE step forward concerning run speed. Extremely satisfied with the L5 release.

Posts 44
Jo Decaesteker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 11:13 AM

Oops, Snow Leopard is 10.6 indeed, thanks for the correction, Jack Caviness!

Posts 2735
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 6:46 PM

Caleb S.:
For those of you who went from Logos 4 Mac to Logos 5 Mac, I have a question for you: How is the memory usage in Logos 5 Mac compared to Logos 4 Mac? Is it better? As in, does it use less RAM than Logos4? I
I have had positive experience on my older 2007 MacBook Pro.  A video along with my fill specs is here for your to review http://www.morethancake.org/archives/5580

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 3
Pastor Mark Lacanienta | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 8:44 AM

LOGOS 5 all the way. Faster all around. 

Macbook Pro 13 June 2012 256SSD and 8gb RAM. Mountain Lion.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS