Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 604
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 14 2009 8:04 AM

Logos gives us the possibility of nine bookmarks (from what I can gather).  Am I missing something, or is this all that is available to us?  I have about 1400 volumes and find myself working through a dozen or more of them at a time.  Are there more or is this all we have?  If this is all we have, maybe a great suggestion for v.4 would be more bookmarks.

Blessings-

John

Posts 1933
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2009 8:44 AM

You have 9 bookmarks but can add as much as you want to favorites.  I dont like this system but that is the system.  I am hoping for an easier and better system in version 4

Posts 294
Debra Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2009 11:00 AM

MarkSwaim:

You have 9 bookmarks but can add as much as you want to favorites.  I dont like this system but that is the system.  I am hoping for an easier and better system in version 4

Ditto, on all counts ... and here I thought I was the only one plodding through a growing plethora of books (not to mention a variety of Journal articles) concurrently.

Creating a "BOOKMARK" folder and going that route, which I've done, is much slower than hovering over a toolbar bookmark and subsequently clicking, but it is an effective workaround.

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 19 2009 8:06 AM

The idea is that Favorites work like a web browser, and support a long list of links organized into folders. Bookmarks are designed to be "stick my finger in the page" type temporary items. There are 9 because settng and jumping to them is mapped to 9 keyboard shortcuts -- Ctrl+1 to jump to Bookmark 1, and Ctrl+Shift+1 to set it.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 19 2009 8:54 AM

Bob Pritchett:

The idea is that Favorites work like a web browser, and support a long list of links organized into folders. Bookmarks are designed to be "stick my finger in the page" type temporary items. There are 9 because settng and jumping to them is mapped to 9 keyboard shortcuts -- Ctrl+1 to jump to Bookmark 1, and Ctrl+Shift+1 to set it.

Peace and Joy to the Lovely People of the Forum!

*smile*

Because of someone on this forum suggesting it, I have started using a Workspace called "My Current Reading."  One could put a dozen books, or several dozen on that Workspace.  Caution:  Dave Hooten suggest one save said workspace to keep your place in your books ...  So far I am very, very pleased!    *smile*

Must remember to save workspace, though!

Yours in Christ,

............    Mel

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 2735
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 19 2009 10:56 AM

Milford Charles Murray:

Bob Pritchett:

Peace and Joy to the Lovely People of the Forum!

*smile*

Because of someone on this forum suggesting it, I have started using a Workspace called "My Current Reading."  One could put a dozen books, or several dozen on that Workspace.  Caution:  Dave Hooten suggest one save said workspace to keep your place in your books ...  So far I am very, very pleased!    *smile*

Must remember to save workspace, though!

Yours in Christ,

............    Mel

Yes, I asked for the help how to make one-click-save the workspace and I also use it and love it very much. I use the more sophisticated version of saving the workspace (with backup one also). It is great. I also made one similar icon which saves my current work as MyWork. If I have to leave the work and go to some other workspace or shut off the Logos for any reason, I can hit the icon "SaveMyWork and I can open the MyWork workspace any time I need later. My original workspace stays unchanged. Great tool.

Bohuslav

Posts 1933
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 19 2009 11:49 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
I use the more sophisticated version of saving the workspace (with backup one also).

Bohuslav Wojnar:
I have started using a Workspace called "My Current Reading." 

Can you give a step by step version on how to set this up?

I certainly hope version 4 will have a better system

Posts 2735
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 19 2009 12:35 PM

MarkSwaim:

Can you give a step by step version on how to set this up?

I certainly hope version 4 will have a better system

I was greatly helped by Dave and John in the following forum: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/438/4142.aspx#4142 

Now I have the ReadingBooks workspace and before I leave that workspace I just hit the icon I named SaveBookReading and it saves the BookReading workspace and also a backup version of the former one. All opened books stay in the page I left them. Great tool. I use the following script in the icon SaveBookReading I created for that purpose:

var sWorkSpace = "BookReading";
  var buWorkSpace = "BookReading_BackUp"
  var sPath = Util.MakeManagedFilePathFromName(Application.UserFileManager, "Workspaces", sWorkSpace + ".lbxwks");
  var buPath = Util.MakeManagedFilePathFromName(Application.UserFileManager, "Workspaces", buWorkSpace + ".lbxwks");
  var wsDoc = utilLoadXMLDocument(sPath);
  utilSaveXMLDocument(wsDoc , buPath);
  utilSaveWorkspace(sWorkSpace, sWorkSpace + ".lbxwks");

I created the icon in the BookReading Toolbar and I activate that toolbar only in the BookReading workspace (to avoid the clicking of the icon in some other workspace).

The second thing I use is MyWork workspace. I created MyWork toolbar and the icon which I called SaveMyWork. The script is as follows:

var sWorkSpace = "MySavedWork";
  var buWorkSpace = "MySavedWork_Backup"
  var sPath = Util.MakeManagedFilePathFromName(Application.UserFileManager, "Workspaces", sWorkSpace + ".lbxwks");
  var buPath = Util.MakeManagedFilePathFromName(Application.UserFileManager, "WorkspacesBackups", buWorkSpace + ".lbxwks");

When I need to interrupt my work and I wnat to come back to it later, I hit that icon and it saves the work into the MyWork workspace. I like that very much.

The credit for that goes to guys from the forum mentioned above. Enjoy.

Bohuslav

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 20 2009 5:40 AM

Bohuslav,

that's cool...

I used the "savemyworkspace" one and set Logos to Load it on startup so i come back to what I was working on last...

nice.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2735
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 20 2009 8:12 AM

Robert Pavich:

Bohuslav,

that's cool...

I used the "savemyworkspace" one and set Logos to Load it on startup so i come back to what I was working on last...

nice.

Thanks Robert. Just a short note:  If the only thing you want is to always come back to your last work, you might consider using the Logos Automated Workspace. You set it up in Options | General | "Restore Desktop to Last Session" option. The tool I use SaveMyWork is good for the case you do not want always to come automatically to the last session, but to your regular workspace, but then you want to come back to the work you had to close for any given reason. I prefer that last option, since I don't want always Logos go to the last session. I want usually to start a very simple workspace or just a HomePage.

Bohuslav

Posts 408
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 20 2009 12:37 PM

Buhuslav,

Here's a question that may have been answered already, but how do I incorporate this scripting to do what you are describing. I have the same issue as when I start doing reading I tend to have multiple books I am reading/reviewing.

Thank you in advance and for sharing.

in Christ,

Ken

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 2735
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 20 2009 1:31 PM

Kenneth Shawver:

Buhuslav,

Here's a question that may have been answered already, but how do I incorporate this scripting to do what you are describing. I have the same issue as when I start doing reading I tend to have multiple books I am reading/reviewing.

Thank you in advance and for sharing.

in Christ,

Ken

Hello Ken,

Although there is the information included already in this forum, I will briefly summarize it here:

1) You create a BookReading workspace. You can open any books there and you read them as you like. Than, when you want to close Logos or shitch to another workspace, you just hit the SaveBookReading icon on your tool-bar.

2) You need to create a SaveBookReading toolbar by right-click on the toolbars and using "Customize" option.

3) Thank you create just one item in that toolbar. I call it SaveBookReading. You should choose for that "Run Script Code" item under "Special" Category. You name it as you like and than click "Details". You put the mentioned above script into the "Script Code" box. In my case it is:

var sWorkSpace = "BookReading";
  var buWorkSpace = "BookReading_BackUp"
  var buPath = Util.MakeManagedFilePathFromName(Application.UserFileManager, "Workspaces", buWorkSpace + ".lbxwks");

4) You designate icon of your choice to the item. You save it and close it. Then make sure you activate the SaveBookReading toolbar only in the BookReading workspace - just to avoid unplanned changing your BookReading workspace from some other workspace environment.

...and you should be done. Again, I thank Dave and John for offering the alternative scripts for that tool.

I found it the best way to read multiple books and keep it opened where I finished reading. You can use also bookmarks and favorites to get you to certain pages. But it is more work to do that.

I hope we will get something in the version 4 what would automate this thing in much more elegant way. I expect full-blood Book/Bible Reader in the version 4.

Have a great day.

Bohuslav

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 21 2009 6:25 AM

If the only thing you want is to always come back to your last work, you might consider using the Logos Automated Workspace. You set it up in Options | General | "Restore Desktop to Last Session" option.

feeling sheepish... Embarrassed

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 408
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 21 2009 2:51 PM

Thanks Robert, but I am already using restore last session.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

Posts 408
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2009 1:10 PM

Hey can anyone suggest a way of modifying the scripting so that when I look at load work spaces the main and backup don't look th same. I modified the script slightly to save my study space - called "My Study" -  if I want to flip workspaces, but when I look back at load workspaces the backup and main workspaces showup as My Study. I looked in the workspace folder and I have "My Study.lbxwks" and "My Study Backup.lbxwks".

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken

In Christ,

Ken

Posts 129
John McComb | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2009 2:39 PM

Kenneth Shawver:

Hey can anyone suggest a way of modifying the scripting so that when I look at load work spaces the main and backup don't look th same. I modified the script slightly to save my study space - called "My Study" -  if I want to flip workspaces, but when I look back at load workspaces the backup and main workspaces showup as My Study. I looked in the workspace folder and I have "My Study.lbxwks" and "My Study Backup.lbxwks".

Any suggestions?

Well post your script so we can see what you're doing.

Yours in Christ

John

Posts 408
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2009 6:10 PM

Here is the script I am using...

var sWorkSpace = "My Study";
var buWorkSpace = "My Study BackUp"

Thanks

In Christ,

Ken

Posts 129
John McComb | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2009 7:47 PM

Kenneth Shawver:

Here is the script I am using...

It works. I'm not sure I know where you're problem lies. Remember, this script doesn't save anything to a workspace called "My Study BackUp". That's just a file name. Once you use this button you will have two workspaces called "My Study". When you look at the list in "Load Workspace" you can't tell just by looking at them which one is which. Maybe when you were testing you inadvertently loaded the same one twice.

If you open the current "My Study" workspace and then do something to it (open a new resource or rearrange your windows or something) and use the button to save it then the one you started with will be saved in the file "My Study BackUp.lbxwks" but it will still have the name "My Study". However, that shouldn't be a problem since the purpose of the backup is only to copy the contents to "My Study.lbxwks" if you make a mistake. What you could do is open a sub folder and save your backup in there instead. That way the backup file won't show up in your workspaces load list.

Try this:

var sWorkSpace = "My Study";
  var buWorkSpace = "My Study BackUp"
  var buPath = Util.MakeManagedFilePathFromName(Application.UserFileManager, "Workspaces\\Backup", buWorkSpace + ".lbxwks");

You need to create the "Backup" folder in the "Workspaces" directory before it will work though. "utilSaveXMLDocument" won't create the folder for you.

Yours in Christ

John

Posts 408
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2009 8:35 PM

Thanks John it works perfectly. I greatly appreciate your assistance.

in Christ,

Ken

In Christ,

Ken

Posts 2735
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2009 9:34 PM

John McComb:
You need to create the "Backup" folder in the "Workspaces" directory before it will work though. "utilSaveXMLDocument" won't create the folder for you.

Great, thank you John. It is better to do that this way. You are not confused with the backup file at the loading of the Workspace. Before I just used the top file which always was the Workspace, not the backup one. But still there was a chance to confuse those two. Now it is almost perfect. Thanks. (The perfect will be when Logos make an option in the setup of workspaces that in those you want, you can have auto-save turned on).

P.S. In the SaveMyWork script given in one of the posts above, since I didn't know how to use a subfolder, I had actually used the separate folder feature. I had my backup workspace in the separate "WorkspacesBackups" folder.

Bohuslav

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS