free crossgrade or starter package ?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 17
Wolfgang Schneider | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 10 2012 11:14 PM

having L4 scholar's package together with some foreign language bibles and certain other individual books in my library, I do not want to necessarily want to extend my library at this time.

Considering updating "the engine" to L5, should I purchase just a L5  "Starter" package in order use my books with the new "engine features" or will a "free crossgrade" (is this even available yet?) do? 

Also, will my existing library be automatically updated to L5 format when I update the "free engine" to L5? or will I need to purchase a different L5 "package" in order to use the new engine features with original language bibles, etc?

Cheers,
Wolfgang

(BibelCenter Editor)

Posts 22227
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 11:41 PM

Hi Wolfgang

Wolfgang Schneider:
Considering updating "the engine" to L5, should I purchase just a L5  "Starter" package in order use my books with the new "engine features" or will a "free crossgrade" (is this even available yet?) do? 

If all you want to do is access your resources within the L5 engine then the free upgrade (when it is available) should give you what you want. If you want to access some of the new functionality of L5 then one of the two crossgrades that are being worked on are worth considering (hopefully these will be available next week).

Wolfgang Schneider:
Also, will my existing library be automatically updated to L5 format when I update the "free engine" to L5? or will I need to purchase a different L5 "package" in order to use the new engine features with original language bibles, etc?

All of your existing resources will continue to work with L5

Graham

Posts 55
J Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 12:56 AM

Does this mean that if I have the Bible Study package, if I were to get Logos 5, but a lower package, does that mean I keep the books that came with my Bible Study package? Or are they deleted/restricted until I upgrade?

Posts 22227
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 1:02 AM

J Hale:
Does this mean that if I have the Bible Study package, if I were to get Logos 5, but a lower package, does that mean I keep the books that came with my Bible Study package? Or are they deleted/restricted until I upgrade?

You will not lose any books in your current package whatever Logos 5 package you choose to upgrade to.

It's probably better to think of moving to a "different" L5 package as opposed to a "lower" one - you will still have your existing L4 resources but you are adding to it a different set of resources in L5 and the extra functionality provided in the L5 engine.

Posts 4695
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 1:03 AM

Hi J

Logos have two mantra

1. If you buy a book it is yours to keep.

2. You do not have to pay for the same book twice.

The qualification is that by choosing some online compilations, in some circumstances, you may elect to pay twice. To avoid this just call Customer Services and they will adjust the price.

Please make a note of 1 and 2 and whenever possible reassure other users.

Posts 17
Wolfgang Schneider | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 1:26 PM

Hi Graham

Graham Criddle:
If all you want to do is access your resources within the L5 engine then the free upgrade (when it is available) should give you what you want. If you want to access some of the new functionality of L5 then one of the two crossgrades that are being worked on are worth considering (hopefully these will be available next week).

I know about being able to access my L4 books ... with the same functionality as the "old engine".   My question is more, if the resources are being updated with a crossgrade so as to utilize the "new engine" features?   From all the talk over the years, and from experience of changing from Libronix 3 to L4, it seemed that with an "update of the engine", the book resources are also updated so as to be able to utilize the features and functionality of the "new engine".

Graham Criddle:
Wolfgang Schneider:

All of your existing resources will continue to work with L5

From looking at the comparison charts of the different upgrade packages, it seemed to me that I will not have all my book resources updated to use the "new engine" features ... for example, the "original language features" of L5 seem not included in the lower packages ... yet I do have original language resources in L4 format ... thus my question, will those Greek resources be updated to L5 format so as to be able to utilize them in L5 with their proper features?

Cheers,
Wolfgang

(BibelCenter Editor)

Posts 17
Wolfgang Schneider | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 1:43 PM

Hi Graham,

Graham Criddle:
Wolfgang Schneider:

Just to clarify ... I mentioned above that I would want to use my books with the "new engine features" ... not just use my books with the "old engine features".   If I get  the "new engine" with a free crossgrade or purchase it with a lower than my current level package, will I have a new engine that does only the same as my "old engine"?  In such case, I may as well save myself the download time and/or  $$ to purchase a package ... what would be the point? 

It seems now that the long communicated idea of "purchasing books" but "receiving the book shelves and functionality free of charge" has been abandoned ...or am I misunderstanding something somewhere? The concept of the L5 distribution seems no different to the concept used by other software companies who bring "new versions"  of their software on the market (for example "office software" which allows my to access and use my documents initially written with earlier versions ... but at least, if I open a version 2003 doc file in 2010 software, I can then utilize the 2010 functionality and are not stuck with the 2003 features)

Is it time to just change the strategy and the talk ?  The engine is no longer "free", but there is an upgrade price for "the software/engine", and then customers have access to old books and can convert them over to the "new engine" functionality if they wish to do so as well as have the option to get resources in the new engine version and functionality  ...

Cheers,
Wolfgang

(BibelCenter Editor)

Posts 4695
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 2:03 PM

Wolfgang Schneider:
If I get  the "new engine" with a free crossgrade or purchase it with a lower than my current level package, will I have a new engine that does only the same as my "old engine"?

What has muddied the waters is the new datasets that have been developed. These fall somewhere between engine and resource not belonging fully to either category. Logos, though, seem to consider them more of a resource.

As you can see from the upgrade pages, depending on which L5 package you select you get some of the new features provided by these datasets. Gold (I seem to remember) gets you all but one. Some of these databsets only light up when you have the appropriate resources to make them function.

If you add one of the L5 packages to your existing library then it will have the resources to use with the datasets included in the package.

If you purchase one of the cross grades that are coming it will come with the resources to allow the datasets you purchase access to to function.

So, as they say, 'You pays your money and you takes your chance'.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS