How could these two commentary sets be missing from Logos' catalog?

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 107
David Miller | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 28 2009 6:33 AM

I continue to be stunned that these two commentary sets are missing from Logos' catalog:

1) Reformed Expository Commentary

2) Geneva Commentary series from Banner of Truth

I keep waiting year after year after year for these to show up and they just never do.  

Posts 669
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 6:34 AM

Maybe because Logos doesn't have the rights for the books from the publishers?

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 6:38 AM

This is certainly a matter of perspective.  I've never even heard of those 2 sets.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 6:41 AM

I would also like to see the Reformed Expository Commentary on Logos....

http://www.wtsbooks.com/category-exec/category_id/401/nm/Reformed_20Expository_20Commentary/parent_id/9

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 107
David Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 6:41 AM

Ahhh, but that implies they are seeking the rights from the publishers? :-)

Posts 669
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 6:43 AM

I haven't either Randy and I've asked the ? about the Commentaries and Works of John Gill for years.  They are available for free for Logos 3 along with a lot of other works.  http://www.stilltruth.com/page/libronix_pbb_files

Posts 669
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 6:46 AM

David, I have no idea about how they select the books to publish in Logos 3 or 4.  They have published more books by people I've never heard of and none of my friends have heard of in the last few years.  I am not implying they are seeking the rights to anything.

Posts 107
David Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 7:07 AM

WOW!  I had no idea StillTruth.com existed.  What a find!  I love Puritan stuff and there is a truckload of it there for the picking.  AMAZING!

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 7:13 AM

No kidding....ya gotta love still truth...

I cannot wait until PBB's have the same functionality as the regular Logos books...

Robert Pavich

Posts 107
David Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 7:22 AM

I love Logos but honestly, I'll be dead and in glory talking to the people I just downloaded before Logos gets around to it.  It's very frustrating how slow folks have signed onto the prepubs for Baxter, Manton, et all.  *sigh*

Posts 139
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 8:29 AM

I don't have any information about these particular sets, but in general, the titles we're able to offer are the result of a complex interplay between Logos, publishers, and economic factors. There are lots of resources we'd love to offer but we can't get a license to. We use the prepub system to help us prioritize those that are available, based on user interest.

Using Logos seems to inevitably lead to a certain amount of frustration: once you come to love it, you want every book to be available in Logos. We'd love for that to be true, but the hard economic reality is that some titles may never gather enough interest to make them viable for us to publish.

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 3:12 PM

The Geneva series of commentaries are all out of copyright, so rights is not the issue. However, Hodges commentaries on 1 & 2 Corinthians, Romans and Ephesians, which form part of the Geneva series are available: http://www.logos.com/products/details/3933

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 3:13 PM

Robert Pavich:
I would also like to see the Reformed Expository Commentary on Logos....

As would I...

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 4:33 PM

Sean Boisen:
Using Logos seems to inevitably lead to a certain amount of frustration: once you come to love it, you want every book to be available in Logos

You said a mouthful Sean....I've felt that way many many times. Big Smile

Robert Pavich

Posts 2936
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 7:23 PM

David R Miller:

I continue to be stunned that these two commentary sets are missing from Logos' catalog:

I keep waiting year after year after year for these to show up and they just never do.  

I would love to have these!!! (Pretty much everything from Banner of Truth would be great!)

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 90
Chris Hulshof | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 8:18 PM

I have asked about the Reformed Commentary series for Logos as well.  I know that P&R (the publishing co.) isn't opposed to a digital version since several from that series are available at WORDSearch.  Frankly, that's one of the reason I keep a copy of WORDSearch in use so that I can have digital access to a series like that which Logos doesn't carry (yet?).  If it's available through Logos I'd rather have it through them but if not I'll use WORDSearch if that's all that's available.  

"If heaven ain't a gift I ain't gettin' in." - Lecrae Moore

Posts 2936
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 6:48 AM

Sean Boisen:

I don't have any information about these particular sets, but in general, the titles we're able to offer are the result of a complex interplay between Logos, publishers, and economic factors. There are lots of resources we'd love to offer but we can't get a license to. We use the prepub system to help us prioritize those that are available, based on user interest.

Using Logos seems to inevitably lead to a certain amount of frustration: once you come to love it, you want every book to be available in Logos. We'd love for that to be true, but the hard economic reality is that some titles may never gather enough interest to make them viable for us to publish.

Let get a prepub for Banner of Truth stuff, and I bet it'll be out immediately. Remember when we were asking for Piper stuff for years and we heard that it might be too much of a niche market, and now it's a top seller. I'm willing to bet you'll get similar results from banner of truth

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 107
David Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 7:46 AM

Agreed!

Also start a prepub for the Reformed Expository Commentary series and just see what happens.  What could it hurt?

Posts 1848
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 9:43 AM

David R Miller:

Both are on the list. #1 is copyrighted, so it's a matter of working with the publisher to get the necessary permission to publish a digital edition. #2 is public domain, and several of the commentaries are already available for Logos (e.g., Hodge and Calvin). The others are on our list, but probably won't be released as a set.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 11:57 AM

Phil Gons:
Both are on the list.

yeah!! Phil Gons Phil Gons...Music

Robert Pavich

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS