Logos 5 vs BW 9

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 139
Noel Fitzpatrick | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 18 2012 12:52 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-IE X-NONE HE

I am thinking of upgrading my Bible software and would welcome advice.

My interests are the  NT (NA 27) and I am interested in Paul, especially the Authentic  and the Pastoral  Letters. I am also interested in the Church Fathers, especially the Apostolic Fathers, and am currently studying the Didache.

As well as academic interests I am also interested in the Bible for spiritual/religious reasons.  I like to read a chapter daily and pick out one verse that inspires me and look up the use of words and grammar nas well as glance atcommentaries.

In fact I usually use Logos and have purchased many extra resources, but now Logos 4 is being discontinued, unfortunately.

Should I do nothing? Upgrade BW 8 only? Upgrade Logos 4 only? Upgrade both?

Can I get a code to reduce the cost of upgrading Logos or how can I get the best price?

I use a Dell PC with Microsoft Windows 7.

I have:
BibleWorks 8 (8.0.020e.2 , Standard Edition).  Cost to upgrade to BW 9 $159.

Logos 4 (4.6a  SR-2 (4.61.0.3360 Original Language JG). Cost to upgrade to Scholar's Library, Bronze, $267.

Posts 9468
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2012 1:08 PM

Noel, I am not a good BW user. Have it, very few resources, rarely use it.

On the Logos side, L4 is not being discontinued. It will continue to work and there will be some upgrades as needed to keep it working. Eventually, like Logos 3 (Libronix) it will no longer be supported, but Logos 6 will probably be out by then.

See you have Original Languages and considering upgrade to Bronze. If you add in the Minimal Crossgrade after buying Bronze, you'll have all the new features and datasets in L5, and it won't cost all that much more.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2300
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2012 1:09 PM

Noel Fitzpatrick:
but now Logos 4 is being discontinued

I don't believe this is accurate. Bob has specifically said they not done developing L4.

EDIT: Mark hit "enter" 1 minute before I was done typing and his answer is more complete.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 9468
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2012 1:11 PM

David Thomas:
EDIT: Mark hit "enter" 1 minute before I was done typing and his answer is more complete.

Mark also hit Post too soon and had to revise his answer.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 302
JPH | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2012 1:52 PM

Noel Fitzpatrick:

I was raised a BW user and still use it for all my Bible study. I use Logos for the Library. I stopped upgrading BW at v.6 and poured into L4 portfolio and now to L5 diamond plus all the main commentary sets and dictionaries. My .02 says BW won't change that much in essential function, but Logos is unending in its library potential. L5 is also not that different than L4, which was a pretty big change from L3.

Plus, the upgrade packages are a phenomenal deal. I totaled up all the resources before I upgraded, and I paid $1200 for over $10,000 of resources not in my library (Logos price, not print price). Granted I was not interested in most of them, but over $2000 was already on my wish list. Not sure why people have been so bugged by the upgrade packages. It's really just a great sale.

Posts 233
Philip Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2012 1:57 PM

I especially like John's note on the "unending . . . library potential" in Logos.

Posts 4134
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2012 3:41 PM

I feel like its important to point out that the best deals can be had by contacting the sales department... I usually use email, but phone calls work too.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2012 3:52 PM

Noel Fitzpatrick:

My interests are the  NT (NA 27) and I am interested in Paul, especially the Authentic  and the Pastoral  Letters. I am also interested in the Church Fathers, especially the Apostolic Fathers, and am currently studying the Didache.

As well as academic interests I am also interested in the Bible for spiritual/religious reasons.  I like to read a chapter daily and pick out one verse that inspires me and look up the use of words and grammar nas well as glance atcommentaries.

In fact I usually use Logos and have purchased many extra resources, but now Logos 4 is being discontinued, unfortunately.

Can I get a code to reduce the cost of upgrading Logos or how can I get the best price?

I have:

Logos 4 (4.6a  SR-2 (4.61.0.3360 Original Language JG). Cost to upgrade to Scholar's Library, Bronze, $267.

And you can also wait and get the free engine for L5 during 1Q of 2013.

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2012 6:11 PM

Mark Smith:

Noel, I am not a good BW user. Have it, very few resources, rarely use it.

On the Logos side, L4 is not being discontinued. It will continue to work and there will be some upgrades as needed to keep it working. Eventually, like Logos 3 (Libronix) it will no longer be supported, but Logos 6 will probably be out by then.

See you have Original Languages and considering upgrade to Bronze. If you add in the Minimal Crossgrade after buying Bronze, you'll have all the new features and datasets in L5, and it won't cost all that much more.

My experience is similar to Mark's. I haven't upgraded BW since version 7 and have considered uninstalling it. I like to simplify as much as possible, so I prefer one Bible software package to two. Plus, Logos more than handles my biblical language needs.

I do have WordSEARCH, primarily because I have a few resources on it that I haven't duplicated in Logos. Again, I rarely open it.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 223
David R. McAllan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2012 7:14 PM

Noel Fitzpatrick:

I use BW9 as well as having upgraded to L5 using the crossgrade option. When I purchased L4, I bought the Scholar's package.

Frankly, IMO, Logos beats the rest "hands down".  I think it is so far out in front now I wouldn't consider using other software.  Mark has said, above, he rarely uses BW. Likewise I rarely use BW9. I originally purchased it because it came with a package of Logos books - sold by another company. I was always curious about BW because it used to be the software of choice for "exegesis", so I thought I'd take the plunge. Logos used to lag behind in the exegesis category, but it was always good to have because of the depth of resources available.  So Logos was always the choice for me since I was always in the market for quality books. I'm still trying to sell my old books on the shelf and replace them with the electronic version. However, with L5, I consider that Logos has now taken over as leader in the "exegesis" category.

Don't get me wrong, BW9 is an excellent package and there is heaps you can do with it and it has some features that Logos, to my knowledge, doesn't have. For example, copies of NT manuscripts that also have the chapter and verse divisions, but it lacks resources and the software is pretty behind the times. Some of the windows seem to open in the same type of panel as the old windows help panel. On the other hand, its searching function is lightning fast.

I guess it really depends on the individual and their study habits. But if I were you, there'd be no question. I strongly suggest that you upgrade to Logos 5 with the crossgrade - the one that gives you all the data sets. I do not believe you'll be disappointed.

David
https://echucacommunitychurch.com

Specs: HP Pavilion dv6-6137tx ; i7 2 GHz; 8 gb RAM; 2 gb Graphics; 1 Tb SSD; Win 10; Windows Defender

Posts 343
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2012 8:38 PM

Noel,

I've compared the two (plus one other) at length here (LINK) just yesterday...

Abram K-J: Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant
Blog: Words on the Word

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 3:46 AM

Abram K-J:

Noel,

I've compared the two (plus one other) at length here (LINK) just yesterday...

This is a good overall big picture review, and it matches my experience (note, I do not have a Mac) - best bang for the buck, speed, stuy of the original languages, and note taking - BW.  Best library / research tool outside the orginal languages - Logos

Posts 343
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 6:38 AM

Thanks, Tom.

FWIW, I do think Logos is generally strong in original languages.  Some of the new Data Sets are pretty cool in that regard--what the Word Study Guide can do with the Septuagint, for example, is a nice (and fairly unique) feature.

Abram K-J: Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant
Blog: Words on the Word

Posts 139
Noel Fitzpatrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2012 8:06 AM

Many thanks to all who replied to me.  I sent essentially the same message to both Logos and BW fora, and (surprise, surprise) in the BW forum an upgrade to BW was suggested mainly, and in the Logos one a Logos update was preferred.

I think I will upgrade BW now, and wait a while before upgrading Logos.  I hope to get the free software to run Logos 5 , which is expected to be released soon.

I mostly use Logos and buy the resources I want beyond my Original languages package, so there are no new resources I really need now.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2012 9:28 AM

Noel Fitzpatrick:
I hope to get the free software to run Logos 5 , which is expected to be released soon.

FYI... Logos has said that the free engine will be 1Q 2013.  This being said, Logos has a very bad time in setting dates.  I do not expect to see the free engine until 2Q 2013.

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2012 12:32 PM

Noel Fitzpatrick:

I have:

Have you looked at the upgrade page and seen all the resources on Church Fathers in the Logos 5 Silver collection

https://www.logos.com/upgrade

there are a lot, a lot, of titles on Church Fathers (as we say in Australia... "more than you can poke a stick at") including original language, English translation, Greek/English interlinear, Greek/English reverse interlinear.

Also your upgrade list for Logos is not really complete because:

1. Cost to upgrade to Minimal Crossgrade with all features in that including DataSets to Gold level = $160
  2. Cost to upgrade to Silver = you need to check on the upgrade page for your custom upgrade cost
  3. Cost to upgrade to Silver (many resources) followed by Minimal Crossgrade (DataSets up to Gold level) = your upgrade to Silver + $6

Can you get all those resources in BW 9? For the price in the L5 Silver upgrade? Does BW have all the analysis tools provided by the new Logos 5 DataSets?

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2012 10:17 PM

My favorite Logos feature is visual filter highlighting so can "see" morphological codes in Greek and English using resources in parallel:

Highlighting verbs and things enables quick referencing between Greek and English while showing context in each language and "seeing" range of verbal usage in a passage.

Caveat: combining hundreds of search results for simultaneous display can take awhile.

Logos Wiki has visual filter examples => http://wiki.logos.com/Extended_Tips_for_Highlighting_and_Visual_Filters#Examples_of_visual_filters

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2012 10:45 PM

Noel Fitzpatrick:

I sent essentially the same message to both Logos and BW fora, and (surprise, surprise) in the BW forum an upgrade to BW was suggested mainly, and in the Logos one a Logos update was preferred.

I think I will upgrade BW now

I replied to your BW forum post ... and it wasn't advice to upgrade BW Smile

BW9 isnt really an upgrade unless you are a textual critic. The only new feature that would appeal to ordinary people might be the add-in ESV study Bible module. Other than that, BW8 does just as well. Or even BW7 for that matter. When upgrading BW, pay attention not only to new features ... but to features REMOVED. Every new version adds to the list of resources that was packaged with prior versions, but discontinued. One example, A.T. Robertsons "Word Pictures". Present in versions 7 and older. Removed from 8 and 9. Bibles too. 1984 NIV no longer included in BW9. Replaced with new gender neutral version.

Also, if you are running an older version of BW ... be aware that newer versions require Activation. If you install on several computers, you will find that you are unable to install it again in the future without calling and getting permission.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2012 11:27 PM

Patrick S.:
Have you looked at the upgrade page and seen all the resources on Church Fathers in the Logos 5 Silver collection

For the ECF it would be worth looking at the Catholic base packages as well, as even the most basic one includes them: http://www.logos.com/catholic#compare.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2012 11:45 PM

tom:
Logos has a very bad time in setting dates.  I do not expect to see the free engine until 2Q 2013.

True when it comes to finishing things, but in this case there's nothing to finish. They could put the update link in a forum post right now if they wanted to.

Personally, I think it would be unwise of them not to put it up at least a fortnight before the discounts go away. A lot of people who now hesitate are going to change their minds once they see L5 in action, but not so much that they'd be willing to pay the full price.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS