Biblical Languages Package

Page 1 of 5 (82 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 81 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 2944
tom | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 20 2012 3:47 AM

I am wondering why this package is not being offered to the general public?

The OL package was great for those of us who were not part of the protestant "evangelical" movement within the united states because it didn't have all the (IMHO) junk (apologetics, theology, and counseling to name just three categories).

It appears to me that Logos is treating its non "protestant evangelical movement" customers as second class customers (AGAIN) by taking away the only package that fits our needs.

Posts 323
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 5:06 AM

As, an owner of the OL package for Logos4 I also agree with and wonder why?:

tom:

The OL package was great for those of us who were not part of the protestant "evangelical" movement within the united states

I think just as there is a Verbum line of Logos' packages, and there is the normal protestant "evangelical" package line:   there should also be an Oringal langauge line/branding of packages.

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 1209
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 6:09 AM

I have Original Languages for similar reasons.  While the Minimal Crossgrade would generally serve my purposes (even if I am sure I will wish I had NA28 eventually as well as the Aland Synopsis) it is sad that the library that I have found useful is no longer generally marketed.

It seems obvious that American Evangelicalism is the major market with a strong reach into Roman Catholicism.  While this makes more than a bit of marketing sense (take a look at religious bookstores), I hope that those of us outside those markets get to eat a bit more than scraps from the table...

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 6:42 AM

Kenneth McGuire:
I hope that those of us outside those markets get to eat a bit more than scraps from the table...

Very wonderfully graphic, Kenneth!           *smile*                  Thank you for the smile I will have for the next hour or so!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 53
Noel Fitzpatrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2012 11:07 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-IE X-NONE HE

Thanks for all the replies.

There was a discussion here about American Evangelical Protestants being facilitated  to a grater extent than others.  I am not sure if this is so.  I have always thought that Logos caters for all interested in the  Bible, the word of God, whether from an academic or a  religious point of view. 

Can I take this opportunity to wish all my American friends a very happy Thanksgiving?

Posts 7018
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2012 11:18 AM

BKMitchell:

As, an owner of the OL package for Logos4 I also agree with and wonder why?:

tom:

The OL package was great for those of us who were not part of the protestant "evangelical" movement within the united states

I wonder "Why?" too. Especially when the likely purchaser of the Original Language package does not want most of the scraps that fall from the table. It seems better to me to have a small sale than no sale at all. It is not as if the minimalists will buy a large package of resources they deem "useless" just to get the few tools they deem valuable.        Maybe Logos will reconsider.     PLEASE?

Posts 6148
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2012 1:52 PM

Thank you Noel!

I guess we'll need to hear from Milford whether Canadians riotously chow down on turkeys while, progressively becoming more excited over the football game!

Posts 15738
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2012 3:05 PM

I think the original languages package fit a certain demographic well... I think Logos largely did away with it because it was an odd duck and sometimes caused problems when users wanted to upgrade. 

OSX 10.9 | iOS 7 | L5 Gold | Mac Logs | Install

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2012 3:50 PM

alabama24:

I think the original languages package fit a certain demographic well... I think Logos largely did away with it because it was an odd duck and sometimes caused problems when users wanted to upgrade. 

I strongly disagree. There are many who do not, by choice, want all the ‘fillers’ that make up a package.

Also, speculation as to why something happens without real knowledge as to why something happened is just gibberish.

There are no problems, that I am aware of, concerning an upgrade from an OL package. Again, the purchaser gets looooooottttttsssss of fillers – books that will never get read.

I can’t think of anyone or know of anyone who has read every book in their current respective libraries - Can you?

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 1485
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2012 4:16 PM

Room4more:

I can’t think of anyone or know of anyone who has read every book in their current respective libraries - Can you?

Have read 1% cover to cover and used 33%.

[I do searches that give me 500 resource hits - and then I actually look at all of the hits - have come across some interesting thoughts - takes a month]  

Don't know anyone that has read a dictionary cover to cover.

Posts 7018
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2012 4:28 PM

Room4more:

My library is so large, if I read a book each day, I can not read them all before I die. I look at the big picture a bit differently than you do. Each time my Logos performs a search I read every word in my library by proxy in a matter of seconds instead of years. Logos is there to read for me and "redeem the time" so that I may spend my precious minutes on something else. Time

Posts 2944
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2012 5:03 PM

alabama24:

I agree that OL fit a demographic well.  The reason why it was an 'odd duck' came from (IMHO) Logos not understanding the demographic.  

I do not agree with you as it comes to upgrades.  I cannot speak for anyone else, but I do not plan to upgrade my package to another package because I can purchase the books that I want for less $$$$.  From my understanding, I do not believe that I am alone with the plan to stay with the OL package.

Posts 2944
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2012 5:04 PM

Super Tramp:
Especially when the likely purchaser of the Original Language package does not want most of the scraps that fall from the table. It seems better to me to have a small sale than no sale at all. It is not as if the minimalists will buy a large package of resources they deem "useless" just to get the few tools they deem valuable.
Yes

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2012 8:15 PM

DMB:

Thank you Noel!

I guess we'll need to hear from Milford whether Canadians riotously chow down on turkeys while, progressively becoming more excited over the football game!

Peace and Blessing, Denise!                 It's been a long day, but a wonderful one as per usual, and I almost missed your post!       Am glad I saw it; so I can wish you a late in the day, Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving.

Thank you very much, Denise, for your thoughts on your National Day of Thanksgiving!               Actually we Canadians celebrate a wee bit differently, although lots of people favour turkey!

For us it's sort of a Thanksgiving Weekend.               For us Thanksgiving Day is a holiday to give thanks for the blessings in one's life, particularly the harvest. It is a day off work for many Canadians.  Since 1957 it has been held the second Monday of October.  Since Organised Religion (for me that's the Christian Church!) has declined in Canada more than for you in the United States, I think it is less a religous holiday for most Canadians.   I sort of think that it's more like continental Europe.

For English Canada, we call it Thanksgiving.             For Quebec and other areas that are French-speaking, it is called le Jour d'Action de grâce.  My cheerios cereal box comes in both French and English since we are technically a bi-lingual country.

For Christians who practise their faith, Sunday of Thanksgiving Weekend is celebrated as Thanksgiving Sunday.  I get the impression that most congregations (all those I served for sure did) decorate the altars and chancels with the fruits of the earth in a Thanksgiving Display.  Most Canadians have their family time together on Thanksgiving Monday, the official Canadian Holiday!   Usually the Canadian Football League (CFL) has games on Thanksgiving Day.

The cornucopeia is very promiment here as I think it it is in your beloved country. 

One of the things I personally hope for is for the leaves to go wild in colour around our Thanksgiving Time.  We have sugar maples, sumacs, various hard woods and softwoods and the colours can be quite dynamic and dramatic.

I do a lot of praising our Gracious God in the Fall of the year also!  For me fall is the time of "good" nostalgia.  (Evidently there was grafitti on the subway wall in New York City that said, "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!"

Even from the deck overlooking our back yard the Lord "treats" us with beauty and colour, this picture is from the deck where my wife and I have our personal herb garden, 5 steps from the kitchen.

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2012 8:23 PM

Can't seem to be able to post my back yard picture!     So, Denise, Grace and Blessing!

and          Happy Thanksgiving to you and all your Fellow Americans!

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2012 8:31 PM

Last try for my Canadian Thanksgiving personal backyard picture .....

Posts 43
Peter Covert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2012 3:40 AM

Kenneth McGuire:
I hope that those of us outside those markets get to eat a bit more than scraps from the table...
Yes

Posts 43
Peter Covert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2012 3:41 AM

tom:

Super Tramp:
Especially when the likely purchaser of the Original Language package does not want most of the scraps that fall from the table. It seems better to me to have a small sale than no sale at all. It is not as if the minimalists will buy a large package of resources they deem "useless" just to get the few tools they deem valuable.
Yes

YesYes

Posts 43
Peter Covert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2012 3:42 AM

Milford Charles Murray:

Last try for my Canadian Thanksgiving personal backyard picture .....

Yes

Posts 8147
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2012 5:44 AM

Admittedly, now that there are Catholic packages things look a bit differently for me personally, but I still think this is a bad decision:

• If it hadn't been for OLL, I would never have bought Logos in the first place; I would have gone to the competitor (and you can look in my account to see how much that would have lost you!).
  • You're pushing away the Jewish market.
  • You're pushing away related secular markets: linguistics, Near Eastern studies, etc.
  • You're pushing away Christians that don't feel at home in either the American Evangelical or the Catholic camps.
  • You're pushing away people who simply want a Bible software for language related work, not for reading.

I'm more and more getting the impression that in non-financial matters Logos is a ministry. They know very well that most customers never buy anything but a base package, so if those base packages lean heavily in one direction, users are automatically going to slide over in that direction. 

Isn't it a bit sad that a 'Bible alone' believing company won't let people actually study the Bible alone, without having a specific theology pushed down their throats?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 5 (82 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS