Eastern Orthodoxy glaringly absent from Logos?

Page 2 of 3 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 55 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 9104
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2013 9:33 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
Will start setting aside funds-smile.

I will set aside some too. Big Smile

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 5571
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2013 9:55 AM

Gabe Martini:

Clayton,

I know this is a few months late, but I wanted to let you know that Logos has brought me on board for just this purpose (Announcement on my blog: http://onbehalfofall.org/2013/03/25/a-personal-announcement/).

I am relocating to the Bellingham area soon, and will be very focused on dramatically expanding the selection of Orthodox books and resources for the Logos ecosystem. Please stay tuned, and follow both Logos and my personal blog (www.onbehalfofall.org) for updates! Please feel free to contact me with any specific requests or ideas you might have. My ears are open.

Have a blessed Great Lent.

In peace,

Gabe

Welcome Gabe!

And, I look forward to seeing what you'll have to offer us.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2013 10:18 AM

MJ. Smith:
Whereupon, the best known Oriental Orthodox Church - the Copts - have somehow migrated from Africa to the Orient?Huh?

Wikipedia (my bold):

In European historiography the meaning of "the Orient" changed in scope several times. Originally the term referred to Egypt, the Levant, and adjoining areas.[2] Later the term became synonymous with Islam and Judaism and its scope expanded both eastward and westward to include all non-European areas of Eurasian civilization, including North Africa as far west as Morocco.[2] During the 1800s India, and to a lesser extent China, began to displace the Levant as the primary subject of Orientalist research. By the mid-20th century Western scholars generally considered "the Orient" as just East AsiaSoutheast Asia, and eastern Central Asia.[2] As recently as the early 20th century the term "Orient" continued to often used in ways that included North Africa and even parts of southeastern Europe. Today the term primarily evokes images of ChinaKoreaJapanVietnam, and peninsular Southeast Asia.[2] Throughout the history of the changing sense of the term, "the Orient" was never equivalent to Asia as a whole. "The Orient" being largely a cultural term, large parts of Asia—Siberia most notably—were excluded from the scholarly notion of "the Orient".[2]

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2013 10:18 AM

Welcome indeed! I had assumed it would take another year or two before Logos hired someone for the Orthodox market. I thought they would expand the Jewish one first. 

I'll write more later. Right now I have to prepare for Mass.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2013 2:33 PM

Peace to all!                Welcome, Gabe!             Every Blessing to you and your family!    Just said a brief prayer asking our Gracious God to keep you well and enthusiastic and in good health and protect and bless you and your family!        *smile*                   ....      Always Joy in the Lord!!!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 15
Gabe Martini | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2013 7:32 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

Welcome aboard Gabe! May God grant you many Years!

So glad to have you, looking forward to seeing the fruits of your work.

Will start setting aside funds-smile.

Thank you, Father! Pray for me, a sinner.
Posts 15
Gabe Martini | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2013 7:33 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

Peace to all!                Welcome, Gabe!             Every Blessing to you and your family!    Just said a brief prayer asking our Gracious God to keep you well and enthusiastic and in good health and protect and bless you and your family!        *smile*                   ....      Always Joy in the Lord!!!

Thank you!

Posts 15
Gabe Martini | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2013 7:33 PM

Thank you, all, for the warm welcome. I hope that we can deliver on any and all expectations. :-)

Posts 27938
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2013 8:21 PM

Gabe Martini:
I hope that we can deliver on any and all expectations. :-)

I promise that our expectations are so high you have no chance of matching them - which is a very good thing for my bank account. Just make sure your priorities are Orthodox, Orthodox, Orthodox, Lutheran, Lutheran, Reformed. Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15
Gabe Martini | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2013 8:27 PM

MJ. Smith:

Gabe Martini:
I hope that we can deliver on any and all expectations. :-)

I promise that our expectations are so high you have no chance of matching them - which is a very good thing for my bank account. Just make sure your priorities are Orthodox, Orthodox, Orthodox, Lutheran, Lutheran, Reformed. Wink

Noted... Big Smile
Posts 3
Clayton Tinervin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 29 2013 8:53 AM

Gabe,

Welcome! This is very exciting! 

I'm hopeful that there will be resources available soon to make for easy study in this area. While I have already purchased several resources, I am hoping to do my M.A. thesis on hesychasm, and would absolutely love to have access to relevant Orthodox works. 

I pray that your work will be enjoyable and fruitful!

Posts 15
Gabe Martini | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 6 2013 7:31 PM

Clayton Tinervin:

Gabe,

Welcome! This is very exciting! 

I'm hopeful that there will be resources available soon to make for easy study in this area. While I have already purchased several resources, I am hoping to do my M.A. thesis on hesychasm, and would absolutely love to have access to relevant Orthodox works. 

I pray that your work will be enjoyable and fruitful!

Thank you, Clayton. I am sure we will have several works that can help in that regard!

In peace,

Gabe

Posts 18822
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 6 2013 7:56 PM

Welcome, Gabe! This is great news.

Do a Google search for orthodox site:community.logos.com and page through the results to find several other threads where people requested specific Orthodox resources. Here are a few key ones right off the bat:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/65517.aspx

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/28276.aspx

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/1096.aspx

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/1096.aspx

There are probably more.

Posts 27938
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 6 2013 8:03 PM

I'm sure the duplicate in Rosie's list meant to go to http://community.logos.com/forums/p/23507/175183.aspx

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18822
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 6 2013 8:31 PM

No, but that's another good one. This one is the one my duplicate was meant to be:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/7127.aspx

Posts 15
Gabe Martini | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 7 2013 3:27 PM

These are all great suggestions, thank you! I have quite a list going as well, and I can't wait to share more with everyone! Smile

Posts 18822
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 7 2013 3:46 PM

Gabe Martini:

These are all great suggestions, thank you! I have quite a list going as well, and I can't wait to share more with everyone! Smile

Looking forward to it!

Posts 9104
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 7 2013 5:24 PM

Rosie Perera:

Gabe Martini:

Looking forward to it!

Me too!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 27938
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 8 2013 1:52 PM

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/22720.aspx

Posts 9104
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 8 2013 5:57 PM

MJ. Smith:

I missed that one back in 2010. Sad

Page 2 of 3 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS